PDA

View Full Version : nova script

kdnova
14-12-2007, 04:54 PM
is there an oficial script for the "NOVA" text? i have just got a pair of the nova sill protectors from ian, the text on there looks good is that the correct version? is there a correct version?

The reason i ask is i want to have NOVA stitched in to my seats when i have them recovered

all the best

keith

Alzax3
14-12-2007, 05:51 PM
Depends what you mean by 'official'

It partly depends which manufacturer made your Nova - many of the old brochures used the 'horizontally divided into lines rounded letters' Sam Cobley used the script you've got on the badges. Some people even use the Vauxhall version. But really it's mostly up to what you like, I reckon!

Spacenut
17-12-2007, 09:26 AM
The spacey-looking capitals with horizontal lines seems to have been developed for the Elam Novas and is perhaps the best known script. This was also used by Sam Cobley for his literature. It is not based on any commercially available type fonts. My car originally came with this script (in chrome lettering) along the sills. I have never seen anything like it before or since, but it was a bit garish and had to go :D

Earlier Elam demonstrators such as PYE 507R (look in the "manuals" section for pictures) used a lower case font called "Eurostile". The very first ADD cars used this script on their advertising brochures ("for the Individual" is a good example of this popular 70's font), but the very early cars with the parallel pin-stripes running along the length of the body had a used an italic script in capitals at the front of the canopy. The font could be Eurostile bold italic, but I'm not too sure.

So, as Alex says, there is no one "official" script. A friend of mine runs a sign-writing business and I will probably get some badges made up for the Green Machine, probably using the Eurostile font as used by the Elam machines. Still undecided about additional identification ("T33/1.5" etc.), there's no point trying to identify the car to the public, whatever it says on the back they will still drive on your back bumper (blinding you with their headlights), and will always assume it's a Ferrari, whatever you say :(

Lauren

kdnova
17-12-2007, 10:30 AM
will always assume it's a Ferrari, whatever you say

lol that exactly what the group of kids said when i first got out of dirks red nova!

and the reason i'm painting mine blue not red!

so what would my nova come under era wise? my car is a mk 2 but i have no serial numbers etc on it

keith

Spacenut
17-12-2007, 10:35 AM
Its a Mk2 so will be from the Elams era or later (Graham Slayford). So the popular horizontally-striped futuristic font would be appropriate.

But it really doesn't matter as all you will get is "Nova? What kind of Ferrari is that?" lol

Lauren