PDA

View Full Version : new dino

kdnova
15-12-2007, 05:10 PM
just thought i'd share this pic with you all its the new encarnation of the ferrari dino. personally i like it although it does look a bit tt ish? posably a bit lotus in there too?

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/images/front_picture_library_UK/dir_422/car_photo_211020_7.jpg

Alzax3
15-12-2007, 05:59 PM
Nice and curvy, something quite Porsche ish about the roofline and I know what you mean about the TT influence too - I wonder how long before MR2s will be pummelled into looking like this? :laugh:

nbb350
15-12-2007, 06:21 PM
Looks like a Cayman and a TT had a fling and Ferrari adopted the resulting illegitimate love child and raised it as it's own... :rofl:

kdnova
15-12-2007, 07:02 PM
yer see the prosch influence now i knew there was something else in there!

i'd still have one though! a little more supdued than something like an enzo

keith

letterman7
15-12-2007, 09:01 PM
Enzo subdued? Never! I'm not sure about this Dino, though. It looks great, if not a little too curvy. Since there is nothing to compare it to in the photo, if it were the same basic size as the original, it might fly. For it to be a true Dino, they'd have to remove all the Ferrari badges on it though....the original was never considered a Ferrari - or wasn't supposed to be!

R

JemP
15-12-2007, 09:16 PM
Thats not a Dino, its a Porsche with Ferrari badges on!

acid2000
15-12-2007, 11:17 PM
there is something funny about that pic??? it looks photoshoped! the shadows dont match the sun is coming from the rear but light looks to be shining on the front of it!
i think you could be all right it looks like its part porsche part tt and part ferrari all photoshoped together!

DeeJayHarry
16-12-2007, 01:34 AM
Well your just about spot on Simon :thumbup:

Reckon the piccy started out as the new Artega GT
http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q31/DeeJayHarry/Artega.jpg
I'll do a bit of a Lauren: -
It's a German sports car designed by Henrik Fisker and commissioned by Paragon, a German parts company. Should cost around 50K with power coming from a VW 3.6 litre producing 300bhp

DjH

Yessong
16-12-2007, 03:27 AM
Ya know ... I knew there was something wrong...I saw an interview with head of Ferarri ...he said, specifically, that they will not be building another "Dino"...so this was a bit of a surprise...til the last post

jimcub
16-12-2007, 05:33 PM
Maybe thats why it has such a huge grin. :clapping:

Spacenut
17-12-2007, 10:06 AM
It's a German sports car designed by Henrik Fisker and commissioned by Paragon, a German parts company. Should cost around 50K with power coming from a VW 3.6 litre producing 300bhp

I never said that!

Actually, I don't recognise any of them, but I do agree with Jimcub, if Ferrari are serious about this car they need to lose the "Wallace and Gromit" cheesy grin, it looks worse than a Japanese car (at least they are trying to give the car a smiley face, its to do with Zen or something :D ).

I'm not sure there was much wrong with the old Dino (the original 206/246), which was badged as a Ferrari (its the later V8 Dino's styled by Bertone that you are thinking of Rick), just add some splitters up front and cover the suger-scoop rear butresses with a clear cover to maintain the airflow attachment and... oh dear. You're back to a F430 :(

Lauren

letterman7
17-12-2007, 12:46 PM
Hmmm..that's interesting, Lauren. Maybe those versions weren't available here, or I'm just thinking the wrong car. I remember back in grade school (here we go...) one of my neighbors had a Dino - exactly like this one (hell, it might even be his):
http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b31/letterman7/Random/IMGP0750.jpgwith not a single Ferrari badge on it. Those were the only cars I knew as Dino's...didn't know about the others! Oh, and this one, as was my neighbor's, is a V6.

R

Spacenut
17-12-2007, 01:00 PM
That's the one! I'm sure they came badged as Ferraris though. All the letters joined together F_E_R_R_A_R_I. The later V8 cars were badged "Dino 308" and were Bertone-styled 2+2's. They were available in the US, although probably not as popular as the 206/246 model (2-litre and 2.4-litre V6 respectively). The V8 later went into the next "proper" small Fezza, the 308GTB/GTS of "Magnum PI" fame :D

To be honest I think the body is plenty swoopy enough for modern tastes, all it needs is the details updating (lose the quarter bumpers, projector headlights, concealed wipers, more flared arches etc.

Also the door handles, which are just plain silly :D

Lauren

letterman7
17-12-2007, 04:58 PM
I love these little cars! Even with the 6 it still sounds good...makes that nice rumple...rumple sound at idle. And, for what it's worth Lauren, no, these cars were never considered Ferrari, and never sported a Ferrari badge unless it was added later by the owner! The 308 was a completely different car from another era...

Here's a couple more shots of that beauty:
http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b31/letterman7/Random/IMGP0751.jpg
http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b31/letterman7/Random/IMGP0755.jpg
http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b31/letterman7/Random/IMGP0754.jpg
Note the Dino tags on the wheels and the nose. This was at a concours event near me, and the car is period correct - these folks wouldn't settle for anything less!

R

Spacenut
18-12-2007, 09:30 AM
Thanks Rick, that is a nice car. There are some detail differences I can see for the American market - the European front marker lights are flush fitting for one. Maybe it was an early example I saw photographs of, or maybe the marketing of the name "Dino" was only in the US for the 206/246 series. I don't profess to know much about Ferraris it must be said... I always thought Enzo had an attitude problem; you, the unlucky owner of this finicky, generally ill-handling beast, are nothing more than a cash generator for the Ferrari racing programme...

And of course, that's supposed to be the reason why Ferruccio Lamborghini started building cars in the first place, after trying unsuccessfully to get in to see the big man at Maranello.

Plus there was a prevailing attitude in Ferrari throughout the 60's that it was engine power alone that won races, so cars like the 250P, 330P2, even the monster 612P CanAm were aerodynamically inferior to their contemporaries...

But you're right, the little 60 V6 was a lovely little engine, albeit a little fragile in 2-litre form.

Lauren

letterman7
18-12-2007, 01:44 PM
Oh! OH! I had just caught a program on a channel here called "Speed" last night. A full hour of the RM Auction house over in Maranello at the Ferrari factory auctioning off some of the museum's prize pieces. And wasn't there a racing Dino from the '60's! It, too, didn't have Ferrari badges...and it was a funky looking car to boot. It still kills me to hear of these 300bhp V12 engines in a 4 litre form while I'm driving a 7.4 litre V8...I often wonder why the American manufacturers never figured out how or why not to make smaller, more powerful motors for the market. I could squeeze a 2.5L V8 in the Sterling!

R

kdnova
18-12-2007, 05:40 PM
i did heqar that none of the dinos wore the ferrari badge Just the DINO on a yellow background like the ferrari badge

stop press! just found http://www.ferraridino.co.uk according to them it was the only Ferrari not to carry the famous Prancing Horse

keith