PDA

View Full Version : Hi

dmcdec
03-01-2008, 11:27 AM
Hi All,
I'm delighted to join this forum , I live in Ireland and bought a Nova last year , I have a lot of work to do, but need advice.
My car doesn't have any markings , so I don't know the Vin , it's built on a 67 VW Chassis with a 73 1600cc Engine.
Car ran fine when I bought it , but after being stored for a while over the winter , I found my Hydraulics has failed , the pump was leaking so I took it out.
Work I hope to do before this summer - I'm looking for advice about seal kits / parts for the pump etc , I also would like to find out about alternative wing mirrors as mine are no good , I need to re-arrange the dash switches and clocks, hopefully a complete interior re-trim , new seats , camber bars , alternator system instead of dynamo. Well my list is pretty endless!!
http://i212.photobucket.com/albums/cc20/dmcdec/DSC00492.jpg

islandman
03-01-2008, 01:23 PM
Welcome to the club, many of us have owned Nova’s for 20 years plus! ( so be careful as its addictive :shock: ). First thing to remember is a Nova is never finished, just awaiting the next improvement :laugh:

Your car looks in pretty neat condition from the photo :kewlpics: . As far as hydraulic pumps go the most common used to be the Smiths Mini Pack (black vertical electric motor on top of a blue'ish reservoir, photo below). Does that sound like yours?

http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x91/euronova/islandman/IMGA0133.jpg

dmcdec
03-01-2008, 02:08 PM
Hi,
Looks like the one alright it's a Smiths Industries Pump , Model MDEANFE/CEAB0A Serial No. D 001900.
Looks like it's leaking from the seal between the motor and reservoir.
My car is pretty O.K. on the outside but needs work inside , especially the seats , the driver one is kind of strained , it lies back but is not adjustable , I think they are cobra seats.
I always loved the Nova , thrilled to have one , my other car is a Delorean (hince my name) so I can understand how this will never be finished!

Alzax3
03-01-2008, 07:00 PM
Hi - I wondered about the Delorean connection when I saw your moniker appear - so now I know! You look to have a nice Mk 2 judging from smooth bonnet and GRP band above the windscreen glass. (Expect you knew that already!) You've found the right place for advice.....Enjoy!

Phill
03-01-2008, 11:06 PM
Hi and welcome.

Your car looks to be in good condition from the photos - very nice.

You've come to the right place for help, advice and support.

I look forward to reading more of your posts.

Spacenut
04-01-2008, 06:58 PM
Hi DMC Dec - I've always had a soft spot for the DeLorean too, but alas! When the company went into receivership I thought I might pick up a bargain, but the prices just kept going up...

Love the Guigiaro styling (very 1979), but rear mounted PRV engine never meant the car was as fast as it looked... plus the handling could be entertaining if provoked :(

I hope you have a non-US export model, as the raised front suspension (to comply with US minimum headlight height requirements) looks almost as bad as a rubber-bumper export MGB!!!

If your Smiths pump is leaking fluid from the joint between the motor and the reservoir, then there is (or has been) too much fluid in the unit. In Dave's picture you can see the filler plug in the side of the reservoir; the fluid should only come up to that point. My guess is that the reservoir was last topped-up with the canopy raised. Because the rams need more fluid to travel down than they do to go up (the shaft displaces fluid on the "down" side), closing the canopy would have caused the fluid reservoir to overflow. With a bit of luck, the relief hole in the filler plug will have let the excess out. If you are unlucky, the motor may have shorted if fluid was forced in. I would have a good look at the pump before condemning it to the bin - the Smiths pump is mighty noisy, and you may have been planning to replace it anyway, but new pumps are expensive and you could always flog it if it is serviceable!

Nice car by the way :D

Lauren

bobbybrown
04-01-2008, 07:00 PM
That has to be one of the best condition Nova's I have seen in a picture.

Congratulations on your car, and welcome to Euro-Nova. :welcome:

dmcdec
07-01-2008, 12:53 PM
Thanks for your comments, my Nova does look well on the outside , but needs a bit of tlc inside , that's why I want to get cracking with the re-trim before the show season starts . I will post some photos up of what it's like now and hopefully when I'm finished. I've got a mark 2 dashboard, which I like.
My seats are pretty bad , the drivers side is strained and lies back way too much, I've priced Cobra leather seats and couldn't believe they were so expensive £600 each!!!
Sorry I know I should move this thread to the appropriate section , but anyone know sites to look up seats and prices.
Time's not on my side , and I don't want to do a rushed job , if it's not ready then it's not ready

Alzax3
07-01-2008, 05:01 PM
Biggest problem with seats is size - you're severely limited on width, nearly all production and aftermarket seats are too wide for the Nova's limited floorpan - and most are too high backed too. Common second hand choices are Bedford Rascal (need to be recovered to look anything like) and Mazda MX5, (amazing how many people have copied mine :cool1:) other than that they're slightly like hens teeth......

undertaker
07-01-2008, 06:57 PM
great nova welcome to euro-nova we are all very friendly have a good time with us

jimcub
07-01-2008, 10:45 PM
I'd say Mx5 as they fit and are comfy, and with my frame comfort comes first.