PDA

View Full Version : Pagani Stirling...in Lebanon...!??!

CyCo
13-01-2008, 12:09 PM
So, what's everyones take on this silver beast...??

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NMg8ohsR ... re=related (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NMg8ohsREr8&feature=related)

It doesn't look too bad, though the rear end needs some work.

letterman7
13-01-2008, 04:03 PM
Here are some stills: http://www.exoleb.com/2007/10/31/sterling/
Got to hand it to the owner or whomever did the bodywork - there are some crazy skills going on there! But I would have kept the canopy...

Alzax3
13-01-2008, 05:46 PM
Very nice front end treatment, (anybody know what the lights are?) Shame to lose the canopy, but at least they've added enough strength to the pillars to support the screen (VERY rare!) Shame about the rear end, it all goes wrong for me there, and WHY has it got Maserati badging with a Toyota engine in there?

jmd
13-01-2008, 09:02 PM
There seems to be some good, and some bad about this car. It would look 100% better with the full top on it. I love the front end and feel that it totally updates the super long nose. the front shot at 1:40 is really nice. as well the dash is very nice looking. overall, I think they went 35% too far. Too many random vents, lines that sortof mash into each other, but overall the idea is pretty neat, just a bit overkilled.

I am becoming less afraid to cut my car up, and make the lines my own...

8 )

Alzax3
14-01-2008, 08:57 AM
I take it you've seen Steve McHugh's car, JMD? Between the two of them they show what amazing things can be done with a 40 year old design!

CyCo
14-01-2008, 12:28 PM
There's a lot of potential left in these old girls, that's for sure. Thing that gets me in that this car is in the Middle East. I just never thought that the whole Kit Car thing would have made it there. Still, this could easily have been brought over recently.

Spacenut
14-01-2008, 01:00 PM
Hmm, the Maserati trident is totally misleading (probably deliberate, Masers are quite highly thought of in the middle east - its that unquantifyable sports-luxury car thing).

The A-pillars look awful, but that's the price you pay for going to a full open top. A targa roof would make more sense.

As JMD says, I think there are too many scoops and spoilers etc. in what looks like a deliberate attempt to cover any clues to the car's origin (which fits with the pseudo-Maserati theme).

I can't view the You Tube stuff, is it still rear-engined? That would explain the half-arsed (if you'll pardon the expression) attempt at GFX undertrays at the back. Perversely, its actually my favourite view of this car!

The lights would have to be specials, surely?

Different, at least (in a I'm-trying-to-look-like-a-modern-supercar-pastiche sort of way)

Lauren

CyCo
14-01-2008, 01:19 PM
It's either rear engined or even mid mounted. Also, the black engine cover has been replaced with a silver louver. And if you look, you can see Maserati MC12 in some of the 'design' cues.

jmd
17-01-2008, 07:23 PM
So in looking more at this car, there are a few things I really do like about it particularly the nose and its mods, which seem mostly simple after studying it for a while, but I was doodling around lastnight and came up with this:
http://www.cogknow.com/theNewNose.jpg

Which started out as this:
http://www.cogknow.com/theNewNose_skinny.jpg

Thoughts on the mods?
(i realise that it is taking a turn away from the overall - novaness but in continueing with the idea of making the old new, and updating some lines... I chase this wide body around in my head)

letterman7
17-01-2008, 07:38 PM
You got a thing for splitters on the front of cars, don't you Josh? Other than being completely illegal (pedestrian impact issues), they don't do anything for the design other than to complicate it. The GT40 style hood would probably work if it were set back enough to leave room for the radiator. The overall widening...can't say for sure, since my car is wider than most, but the headlight buckets on your version look a little lost now. Maybe of there were a linear type of running light to go along the outer edge, that might bring more harmony into the lines.

R

jmd
17-01-2008, 10:12 PM
I do have something for them, however its mostly just to break up forms. Not so much that I expect to use them, for them to be functional, ect... I just simply enjoy dropping them in for the sake of it...

Spacenut
18-01-2008, 08:59 AM
I believe splitters are OK if they have sufficient radius (so your pedestrian casualty only suffers from blunt trauma to the ankles rather than having their feet chopped off :D ), but perhaps the bi-plane nose extensions are going a bit far...

I tend to agree with Rick regarding the headlights - larger glazed areas would do the trick I think, perhaps with three projector beams instead of two (or maybe the neat Alfa Brera trick of having three identical circles, but one of them is the indicator/marker).

I think with a wider body a wider screen is required, although if the same width is retained there is always the hope that the side glass might have somewhere to go if opening windows were contemplated (such as "windowlettes", Countach/Diablo SV style). With a new, custom screen, less tumblehome can be applied (more vertical side glass), which would help improve cockpit space.

And change the look of the car completely, of course.

I really dislike the MC12 - its just a warmed-over Enzo, which is IMHO one of the UGLIEST of modern sports cars. But hey! It uses all the current racing aero tricks so like the Ford Sierra/Mercury Merkur of old, the shape probably appeals to the young set.

Another impressive rendering JMD!

Lauren