PDA

View Full Version : swap

Ben
20-01-2008, 09:44 PM
Hi all

I have a tax free Beetle V5C on a SORN chassis is sound and has a new headstock.
I would swap for a scrap Nova chassis on a Q plate.

Ben

Ben
22-02-2008, 10:39 PM
Hi all

My offer applys to EU states whether it is a Nova, Eagle or other that has lost some years due to the fact that the DVLA makes an ass of the UK law.

I define a Nova as a rebodied Beetle the body does not dictate the make.

Ben

Peter
23-02-2008, 11:18 AM
Don't forget to renew the SORN every 12 months :tongue:

Ben
25-03-2008, 11:28 PM
Hi all

DVLA sent me the new sorn today all done online. :clapping:

Ben

dango
26-03-2008, 10:29 AM
What is a SORN ?

26-03-2008, 11:20 AM
Hi Friedl,
SORN = statutory off road notification
The owner has notified the DVLA that the car is no longer used on public roads.

NovaMk1

letterman7
26-03-2008, 02:26 PM
Hi Friedl,
SORN = statutory off road notification
The owner has notified the DVLA that the car is no longer used on public roads.

NovaMk1

So if you're restoring, say, an old Jaguar thats in a million pieces, you have to report that? To what end - to pay taxes on it?

Big Birds Car
26-03-2008, 02:48 PM
No. Each car that has been on the road since about 1998 has been logged with the dvla's new system. Each year we have to pay a tax to actually have a car on the road (unless it is pre 1973 inwhich case it is free of tax).
The yearly tax is about 200 for an average car (there are reduced rates for small engine or less polluting cars).
If for whatever reason you decide not to tax your car (say for a rebuild) then you have to state that it is off the road. (SORN). This costs nothing and can be done on line.
However if you then use the vehicle without re taxing it first you can get anything upto a 5000 fine for driving it (unless to a pre arranged MOT test).
Each year they send you a reminder to either tax it or declare that it is still off the road.
If you don't do it they fine you for not sending the information.

It's not a major issue BUT when you have a fair few cars off the road it can get a bit of a pain trying to remember if you have done it or not, even with their reminders and confirmation letters.
It's just another way of trying to keep tabs on what we are doing. If the car was not taxed prior to about 1998 then it is not on their system and you don't need to do it.

Clear as mud no doubt.

bobbybrown
26-03-2008, 03:35 PM
Its about as clear as mud even to those of us that do live in the UK.

Spacenut
26-03-2008, 04:47 PM
The previous Conservative administration did talk about a "tax on car ownership" in the mid-90's, because I declared two of my vehicles as scrapped (rather than keep the V5's for a rainy day :D) to avoid being taxed for three vehicles when only one was roadworthy.

But as BBC says, DVLA want to have a record of who is the registered keeper of a vehicle so they have introduced SORN. I was a bit concerned at first because the Green Machine had been off the road since 1991 and I didn't know if it needed to be SORN'd or not, but it only applies to vehicles which have been on the road since the introduction of SORN, which until 2006 wasn't the case for my Nova.

I had to SORN the Green Machine last month, but I'm MoT'd and back on the road (just) now.

Lauren

nigelf
26-03-2008, 05:59 PM
Good work, Lauren. Nice to hear that TGM is roadworthy again.

Cheers,
Nigel

jimcub
26-03-2008, 10:08 PM
Is it still as good looking, or better.

Sorn is a way of dvla knowing which number plates it can sell at inflated prices as well. :tongue:

Spacenut
27-03-2008, 09:27 AM
Thanks Nigel - its good to be back!

Still need to do an oil change, cambelts (2 years is up), N/S camshaft oilseal, I've got a rumbly OSR bearing that needs replacing (I'll do both sides) and I need to do something about leak in the transaxle, so not quite up to long journeys yet, but I'm back, and it feels good already!

Hi Jim - yes, better than before. New front nosecone (thanks Ben), which is stronger than the original, as I have only cut out the minimum amount of fibreglass for the radiator this time. It's better finished too (the original nose needed a second coat of paint and there were all the holes left by previous owners fitting foglights and... ooops, wrong place, drill another hole...).

I'm a lot happier with the new lights and the fabricated fibreglass lightboxes are more integral with the bodywork than the crude aluminium sheet that was there before. Still needs a bit more work, but overall, stonger, better looking... yes, I'm quite happy with it. The paintjob is flawless - I can't tell where the new paint ends and old paint begins!

I'm getting the pictures developed at the weekend, I'll post some piccies once I get the CD burned. TGM appears behind a V8 Karma in the snaps taken by the PKW (Portsmouth Kleine Wagen) at Wheels Day and posted in their forum (Nova Nigel is a member), but you can't see the whole car in the picture...

Lauren