PDA

View Full Version : 914 Engine.. yes? no?

Nic
24-01-2008, 07:44 PM
I came across this ad online...

Porsche 914 1.8 from my 1974 914, I never ran it so it is unknown condition. The car had low miles so it may have never been rebuilt, turns over and feels like it has compression complete except for exhaust. $200

Is it worth $200? Are parts difficult to find for the 914 engine?

Or...
1979 Bus 2.0 complete engine Canadian rebuild ran when parked 10+ years ago, Unknown miles . $400

Good price?

Alzax3
24-01-2008, 08:13 PM
That's pretty much the same engine that went in the VW 411/412 and some campers I think - not a difficult engine to fit (different clutch centre plate) bit heavier than stock Beetle, but it will make the car shift pretty well (it did on my yellow peril!) $200 doesn't sounds a bargain if it's anything like a runner, but if you've got to replace the fuel injection or twin carbs it could get very expensive very quickly! (Lauren ran one of these too, if I remember correctly.)

The 2 litre versions (These are all basically type 4 engines we're talking about) seem to make fairly good money over here, mostly because the camper fraternity like putting them in their rides, but not a lot of people seem to put them in Beetle based cars. Basically for both of them, I'd be wanting all the ancillaries for that price - especially things like the alternator, and heat exchangers

NovaNigel
24-01-2008, 08:49 PM
Nic

I am running a 1.7L 914 motor in my MK1. The $200 price tag is good compared to over hear. My biggest issue was fitting the exhaust which I eventually made myself. :annoyed:
The main problem is the extra cooling fan housing on the 914 engine which ends up against the rear valence with no room for an exhaust.
I have also gone for twin carbs which weren`t to expensive second hand.
The other issue I encountered was the flywheel starter teeth fouled on my gearbox housing which needed machining away.

A type 1 beetle engine would have been easier but I wanted the 914 motor in the Nova.

Hope this helps.

NN

letterman7
24-01-2008, 09:54 PM
Ohhh nooo.....A Porsche motor is a Porsche motor, no matter how close they compare to a T4 VW. Parts are not interchangeable. How do I know? Try a Porsche 356 engine that I needed to find parts for. Looks like a T4 upright conversion - nope. Everything is particular to the motor.
Here are the pros and cons: Porsche: Cons: parts are more expensive and tougher to find, particularly for the older models. Typically they need a tear down every 15K miles to replace valves, guides and the like. I have an inside scoop on this, as my brother restores old Porsches. Pros: relatively bulletproof engine when built correctly. Nice horsepower range off the bat, but little add-on components to up the range.
T4 Bus: Cons: none, really. Heavier, but that's expected. Pros: can be built to higher horsepower limits, parts are cheaper, and if you're game, watercooled heads can be added for reliability.

Upshoot: go for the T4 engine. It'll be more wallet friendly in the long run.

R

Nic
24-01-2008, 10:13 PM
Thanks guys, great info.

letterman7
24-01-2008, 10:20 PM
Keep in mind Nic, that even the T4 won't mate up with a T1 transaxle without a little work. See this forums thread: http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewforum ... cb59f9d0f9 (http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewforum.php?f=1&sid=86dd223de37be53486d483cb59f9d0f9)
and I'm sure you'll find the answer to how it's done!

R

Alzax3
25-01-2008, 08:43 AM
And like an idiot I forgot an important aspect: As NovaNigel said, the cooling shrouds on the T4 are right up against the back of the car - the only way I could live with where that sticks the exhaust: completely outside the bodywork - was to extend the back of the car 8 inches. Did this by sawing the back off about an inch in, and letting a fillet in. Because of the cars tapering curves, you then find that you have to narrow the rear panels (taking a strip out vertically on their mid line) to make it all look original.
That was my first experience of working fibreglass, talk about throwing oneself in at the deep end!

Spacenut
25-01-2008, 08:55 AM
You're right Alex, I did have a T4 in my car originally, and the whole back end was hacked-away as you describe. But having seen NN's 914-specific unit, the clearance problem is even worse than for a standard T4, as the 914 unit has beautiful cast alloy cooling shrouds around the fan, presumeably to cope with the extra demands of a mid-engine location.

So whereas I could still have what was left of my rear valance in place, with the light panel concealing the worst excesses, NN has had no choice but to move the entire rear panel backwards in order to provide clearance.
http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x91/euronova/Nova%20Nigel/P1010064.jpg
Sorry Nigel, pinched a picture out of your Photobucket, hope you don't mind. I think it makes the point well - look at the volume of metalwork over the top of the engine, there's a lot less of that on a T4...

Lauren

jmd
25-01-2008, 04:41 PM
so in owning a few 914's in my day I can say that the one I hated the most was the 1.8. I have had a 1.7-1.8-2.0...

I would pick the 1.7 or the 2.0.

I had nothing but problems getting the 1.8 in trim for some reason. (always the same 30 yr veteran porsche racing mechanic at the tools...)

I got rid of it, got a built up 2.3 dual-carb racer and looooooooved it, until I got broad sided... :cry:

total loss.

just my .02, talk to some porsche guys about it though to be sure...