PDA

View Full Version : gear lever

ChrisBailey
14-02-2008, 11:44 AM
how do i measure the thread on my gear lever, i need a new gear knob but i dont know the thread.
thanks

Big Birds Car
14-02-2008, 12:04 PM
If you are buying an after market one fairly often you don't have to worry as they use a plastic insert that doesn't have a thread, you cut your own thread as you twist it on to your gear leaver. Check out first if it is universal, they will often say to suit gear leavers that are a certain diameter then all you need to do is measure the diameter at your thread.

If you want a specific gear knob or are making your own then you will need to know the diameter, the pitch and the number of theeth per inch.
(are they still measured in inches?).

Spacenut
14-02-2008, 03:19 PM
I think so - I refer to all my thread pitch in TPI (threads per inch), although I think moderns describe the thread spacing in mm...

Green Machine has a stainless gearlever assembly that originally came off a GT40 replica, but I found a scrap FIAT X1-9 and had the gearknob off that. As BBC says, there's just a rubber insert which conforms to whatever thread you have on the gearlever.

If you are down to choosing gearknobs you must be nearly on the road - how's progress?

Lauren

ChrisBailey
14-02-2008, 07:14 PM
i am having a gear knob machined, from a black 8 pool ball.
the machiner said he can find the thread from the original specs, i think i have to give him the diametre though, he said usual threads are 7mm, 10mm, and 12mm on the classic beetle.

by the way, i am miles away from finishing, needs complete interia, and a respray and i have to adjust the doors etc

Alzax3
14-02-2008, 08:09 PM
You could go and invest in a thread gauge - (they come free in quite a lot of tap and die sets) - it's just a little gadget like a small set of feeler gauges with teeth, try them on the thread 'til you get a match then what the thread is is stamped on the gauge -SIMPLE! (If it's metric he will need to know the diameter: ie M10, and the pitch, because it's more likely to be coarse than fine........)

Peter
17-02-2008, 12:46 PM
you are lookig at M8 x 1.25 for the gear shaft, that's standard pitch, 1.0 is fine and 1.5 coarse.
Mine came with a plastic insert kit of m8 m10 & m12 and three small allem screws in the base to lock it on which is then covered by a chrome cap.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v219/Ukhozi/inside/DSC00120.jpg