PDA

View Full Version : Yet another "hello" thread

vpogv
27-02-2008, 03:10 PM
Wanted to say an initial "Hi!" I don't own a Nova, Sterling or the alike, but thanks to Nic's post over at fiberglassforums I have become hooked on them. This seems like one of the best places to just read and become more knowledgeable.

I also thought this section might be the best to ask my more simple questions related to a few of the acronyms. For example I have read about the MK4 rear bumper but have no clue what exactly that bumper is (besides that I like the looks).

Anyways, hello.

letterman7
27-02-2008, 03:44 PM
Welcome to the fold, Will. Glad to have you here, and I think you'll learn a lot, especially watching some of the guys work their fiberglass magic!

Rick

vpogv
27-02-2008, 03:50 PM
Welcome to the fold, Will. Glad to have you here, and I think you'll learn a lot, especially watching some of the guys work their fiberglass magic!

Rick

That was one related question I had. Not so much regarding fiberglassing but with using a filler, like bondo, on the gel coated body. I will post that down in the body work subforum though. :)

Nic
27-02-2008, 06:56 PM
Welcome!

A new recruit!

Alzax3
27-02-2008, 07:44 PM
Hi - always nice to have a new member! And now you've been bitten by the bug you'll just have to have one!! :tongue:
I think we ought to have an 'identification' thread that shows the differing front/rear/roofline/bonnet/boot/dashboard treatments so that it's obvious. How about it?

kdnova
27-02-2008, 08:02 PM
Hi and welcome, you'll get all your answers on here everyone is friendly

here is part of the answer to your first question

For example I have read about the MK4 rear bumper but have no clue what exactly that bumper is (besides that I like the looks).

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a69/kdnova/mynova.jpg

that is my mk 4 bumper about 4 year ago when i bought the car, there were 3 incarnations of the nove MK1, MK2, and MK4.

I also herd a while back the bumpers similar to mine were produced by a member of the nova club due to the popular demand years ago and not just available from nova manufarturer

hope that helps and i'm sure someone else will post to clear up the lose ends

keith

vpogv
27-02-2008, 08:20 PM
Hi - always nice to have a new member! And now you've been bitten by the bug you'll just have to have one!! :tongue:
I think we ought to have an 'identification' thread that shows the differing front/rear/roofline/bonnet/boot/dashboard treatments so that it's obvious. How about it?

Yes, I have been bitten. *Story time* Close to 9 years ago I just had to have the all-wheel drive turbocharged model. So 6-months of looking I found one and regrettably sold it 4 years later. That car I just had to have. I have gone through a number of cars since then but as soon as I saw Nic's that little light came back on and the little voice says "you have to have it." Unfortunately this seems like the type of car that doesn't come up for sale often and when it does you either jump on it or you wait for a number of months more. :(

I am all for the identification thread, so far I know what the MK4 rear looks like. :)

that is my mk 4 bumper about 4 year ago when i bought the car, there were 3 incarnations of the nova MK1, MK2, and MK4.

I also herd a while back the bumpers similar to mine were produced by a member of the nova club due to the popular demand years ago and not just available from nova manufacturer

I will have to dig more into that, definitely like how this rear is lower than the MK1 which covers more of the engine.

Alzax3
27-02-2008, 08:37 PM
Mk 4 bumper was definitely a good thing! (I've got a Mk 1 with the lower, engine and exhaust covering bit of a Mk4 grafted on)
Without pictures: Mk1s have the excellent nostril bonnets and the nicest roof line, (Biased person talking) twin pod dashes and optional factory grp sunroofs - but were very cramped.
Mk2 gave you a smooth bonnet, larger and squared engine cover, smoother front undertray, joined, 'swoopy' dashboard and a rather bizarre rear 'bumper' panel. There was also a fillet added above the windscreen which changed the profile slightly and added a inch of headroom.
No Mk3!
The Mk4 had the better rear panel, re-angled windscreen to reduce the fillet, option of nostril bonnet, most 'modern' looking dashboard, rectangular side pockets instead of 'ovals'.

There you go, brief potted history. We'll have to sort the pictures for a thread and do it properly.

DeeJayHarry
27-02-2008, 10:13 PM
Hiya vpog, welcome,

I think when we say "bumper" best tranlastion is "fender" on your side of the pond.
The Nova never really had a "bumper" except the Mk2 rear light panel was so big and ugly it could be called a bumper. All the different designs would be of the rear skirt.

I'm with Alex (Alzax3) having an original Mk1, I'm biased as well, but you have to see all the different marques up together to form an opinion, as they are all headturners anyway.

As the editor of a kit car magazine said to me during a photoshoot "Why does yours seem to sit right on the road?" my reply was "Because it's a Mk1" most Stirlings are Mk1 as the moulds went to the USA before the Mk2 brigade could alter them.
Anyway here's a piccy of a Mk1 rear skirt: -

http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q31/DeeJayHarry/DSC01080.jpg

DjH

vpogv
28-02-2008, 12:27 AM
Hiya vpog, welcome,

I think when we say "bumper" best tranlastion is "fender" on your side of the pond.
The Nova never really had a "bumper" except the Mk2 rear light panel was so big and ugly it could be called a bumper. All the different designs would be of the rear skirt.

I'm with Alex (Alzax3) having an original Mk1, I'm biased as well, but you have to see all the different marques up together to form an opinion, as they are all headturners anyway.

As the editor of a kit car magazine said to me during a photoshoot "Why does yours seem to sit right on the road?" my reply was "Because it's a Mk1" most Stirlings are Mk1 as the moulds went to the USA before the Mk2 brigade could alter them.
Anyway here's a piccy of a Mk1 rear skirt: -

http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q31/DeeJayHarry/DSC01080.jpg

DjH

Yes, you are right, it is definitely not a metal, structural bumper, but in the rear and where the bumper would be, I figured my description would get across. :) The more I do think about it and see pictures I think the exhaust makes or breaks each rear skirt. Your exhaust set up makes it look awesome. :kewlpics:

bobbybrown
28-02-2008, 12:29 AM
It certainly does, the wrong exhaust can make the rear end of the car look like carnage

Alzax3
28-02-2008, 08:54 AM
TeeHee, I wrote fender then deleted it and put back bumper several times, I was just fuddled enough to not be certain whether it was the American for 'bumper' or 'wing' so left it in English!! :dunce:

MicksRedNova
28-02-2008, 09:27 PM
Hi, and welcome.

Here is another pic for you. This is a Mk2 rear end. The pic was taken whilst I was deciding how best to mount my rear lights - hence the carboard template. Notice how the bendy Beetle exhaust pokes horribly out from below :nonono: . I have since added a 4 inch 'filler' between the body (red bit) and rear valence (silver bit) which covers up more exhaust and engine and improves the lines when viewed from the side. I intend to construct a stainless exhaust with twin outlets that will be totally hidden like DJ Harry's.

http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q49/MickAtHome/DSCN2342.jpg

Spacenut
03-03-2008, 12:31 PM
What Mick is politely attempting to conceal is the fact that over the top of the (otherwise very presentable) Mk2 undertray there was bolted a large fibreglass bumper assembly that wrapped around the back end that made US-style crash bumpers look tame in comparison! The assembly was deep enough for lights and number plate to be fitted into it and in fairness did help to conceal some of the engine and exhaust that may have spilled out :D

I'm with DJ, the Mk1 does it for me, but the Mk4 does a better job of concealing the gubbins of a rear-engined car.

Hello Vpogv, and welcome to the new forum!

Lauren

MicksRedNova
03-03-2008, 10:52 PM
a large fibreglass bumper assembly that wrapped around the back end that made US-style crash bumpers look tame in comparison!

Lauren is correct - I have one that came with the kit of parts and I intend that it stays in my shed rather than anywhere on the car. :nonono:

Mick

DeeJayHarry
05-03-2008, 11:09 PM
Aww! Go on Mick. Post a piccy :rofl: .
We can all have a wince and see how the fender, bumper and wing caused such confusion.
DjH
P.S. You coming to Detling??