PDA

View Full Version : type??

acid2000
03-03-2008, 12:54 AM
i know this sounds really stupid but how do i know if my car is a type 1 or 2 etc??

letterman7
03-03-2008, 02:52 AM
Engine or cars series? Type 1 engines are Beetle; 2&3 are the VW wagon variants and T4 are Bus, though you'll find 2 & 3 in Bus's as well. The only difference between 1,2 and 3 are the engine air shrouds and generator/alternator stands (or lack thereof) and oil cooler placements. T4 engine cases are completely different from the others.

R

acid2000
03-03-2008, 03:08 AM
just need to know type as i am looking for parts for my rear suspension and gearbox and there is alot of refrence to type 1 2's ect
cheers

Alzax3
03-03-2008, 08:59 AM
Like Rick says, type 1 is Beetle, so the basis of your Nova is all type 1.....

acid2000
03-03-2008, 10:26 AM
cheers guys :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

letterman7
03-03-2008, 01:09 PM
If you can find and post your chassis VIN (on top of the tunnel at the rear), we'll be able to narrow down to the year built. That will aid in purchasing the right parts. If the tranny hasn't been changed out, you'll have that info as well!

acid2000
03-03-2008, 03:26 PM
i just found the documents it says it was registered in 1971 and was a 1300 (1268)cc saloon

Alzax3
03-03-2008, 08:23 PM
So are you going to keep it tax-exempt, which (unless you're Lauren :bleh: ) means you stay with most of the Beetle underpinnings (your engine change is only 1 point off the total for remaining a classic) or is it a Q plate so you can do what you like?

acid2000
03-03-2008, 10:44 PM
I do want to keep it tax exempt at the moment ( although changing rear suspension may mess that up if I decide to go ahead) I think ill be getting car on the road first as I have a spare chassis laying around then I might modifiy that 1

Spacenut
04-03-2008, 08:32 AM
Hmmm - I see I am developing a bit of a reputation here :D

I agree that within the constraints dictated by SVA, radical modification to the rear suspension may invalidate the vehicle's historic status, but I assume that you will not be submitting your car for SVA. An MoT will not comment on radical modifications unless they are considered to be a safety issue. The issue is a subjective one, so its got to look right, but within reason, anything goes. Just look at what the custom car crowd get away with by retaining their period registration - all I have done is exploit the same loophole - the V5 says "2-axle, rigid body sports", and its called a "1500 Nova". Its still got 2 axles and a rigid body (more rigid now than before :D), and its still recognisably a Nova with a 1500 engine. Go figure :D

There's a guy in the Mopar club who has completely gutted his Dodge Challenger SE, fitted a complete tubular chassis, changed the engine, transmission and back axle, new design (rubbish) strut front suspension, 5-link rear end, rack and pinion, tea tray rear spoiler, billet steering column, custom dash and aluminium interior, custom seats, tubbed rear, fibreglass flip front end... The only original feature is the roof!

Its still on K plates as a Dodge Challenger, and its certainly not the only example of radical re-design!

Lauren