PDA

View Full Version : Pedal assembly can you help??

ant
08-03-2008, 05:40 PM
Hi everyone

My clutch pedal sticks forward and wont return, when we put the engine in the clutch seems to all be fine.

The pedals at some point were removed and cut and welded and i suspect that they have not been reassembled correctly.
There is a spring near the clutch pedal and i think that it may be on incorrectly, i have looked through my haynes beetle book but cant find a specific reference to the re assembly of the pedals.

Has anyone got a photo or a drawing or can help with this as this is the first thing i now need to do before the dash can be put in.

Cheers

Ant

MicksRedNova
08-03-2008, 06:47 PM
Ant

From memory I think the spring at the pedals is the return spring for the brake pedal. Although it is physically mounted near the base of the clutch pedal (see picture below), I think it operates on the brake cylinder arm.

http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q49/MickAtHome/DSCN2055.jpg

The clutch has a large return spring mounted around the arm/pivot on the side of the gearbox bellhousing, these tend to break. If you don't hook the spring over the arm it won't pull the arm and cable - and hence pedal - back up. This is probably your problem.

Mick

MicksRedNova
08-03-2008, 06:57 PM
The clutch has a large return spring mounted around the arm/pivot on the side of the gearbox bellhousing, these tend to break. If you don't hook the spring over the arm it won't pull the arm and cable - and hence pedal - back up. This is probably your problem.

Mick

And I found a picture of one as fitted to the original (corroded solid) gearbox that came with my Nova.

http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q49/MickAtHome/clutch_lever_spring.jpg

The lever should be vertical like the this one and you need a pair of pliers or molegrips to pull it down.

Mick

Alzax3
08-03-2008, 07:19 PM
Both mine were snapped when I got the car - the pedal one is a bit of a fiddle - but with your dash out won't be too bad to do if you have to - access to the rear one is 'interesting' but nice easy job when you get there!

jimcub
08-03-2008, 08:11 PM
The pedal spring on mine had come dislodged and as I have a plate in front on the pedal assembly, it took some choice words to get it in as the dash was in.

ant
11-03-2008, 05:49 PM
Cheers guys,

After talking to my dad, who talked me through the whole thing, i think its the clutch itself, the cable should return the pedal but there is no resistance, i can move the pedal by pulling the cable on the bell housing, but the arm does not move freely on the bell housing and the cables wing nut has it up to full tightness!

I thought the pedal would return on a spring but i think that the spring im looking at does nothing for the clutch pedal, so im thinking something went wrong when the engine went in!

AAAHHHHHH and so it goes on!

Any ideas???

Ant

Ant

letterman7
11-03-2008, 07:44 PM
Back off the wingnut on the transmission arm until the cable is free. Then see if you can push/pull the tranny arm (it only goes one way). If you can move the arm from full vertical to about 45 degrees off, the clutch is free. Since you say you can move the cable from the bellhousing to the pedal, though, chances are you're looking at pulling the engine to see what happened to the throwout bearing...

MicksRedNova
11-03-2008, 08:02 PM
I remember having a problem with the release bearing dropping off the release forks when I first put my gearbox on - which stopped the lever moving the clutch in and out, this could be your problem. Fortunately my body was off and I discovered it before connecting everything else up.

Mick

Alzax3
11-03-2008, 08:24 PM
And just checking - you've changed from a type 4 to a type 1 engine, which uses a different driven plate - the guys who sold you the engine did put the right one on didn't they?

ant
11-03-2008, 10:54 PM
Hi

Im gonna give them a call Alex and see what we did to make sure, although im sure the drive plate was correct, i think it may be the bearing, is there a hatch to check or is it an engine out job???

Cheers

Ant

letterman7
12-03-2008, 01:15 AM
Engine out. No other way around it.

Kym
12-03-2008, 12:07 PM
Ok. I had a Subaru EJ22 in mine and being water cooled with the radiator at the rear getting the engine out was a little more time consuming than the normal VW engine. I broke a throwout bearing retaining clip. First I wasn't sure what it was so I cut a hole in the bell housing of the gearbox to the left of centre when looking to the front of the car. the hole from memory was about an 1 1/2" wide and 2" long. I also fabricated a cover plate that was later held on with 2 screws. This hole allowed me to observe what was happening and when I found the broken retainer clip allowed me with difficulty to replace both clips without removing the engine.

Kym

http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x91/euronova/Kyms/Hole.jpg

Peter
15-03-2008, 07:48 AM
I did the same thing, same problem, early engine on late gearbox (1303) with slider tube for release bearing, jams in back of pressure plate. Fit later clutch and bearing or remove/shorten tube