PDA

View Full Version : Metal dash support?

Nic
13-03-2008, 07:25 PM
For those of you who are using custom steering wheels, with tilt, etc., and you have a metal bar run from one side of the interior to the other.... what size are you using? Peter, looks like your square tubing is about 3/4"? Do you feel that is sufficient?
I'm starting to plan the interior and need some direction. I have the dual pod dash, but Im not sure if I want to use it, AND if I do, I'm not using the VW steering column. Also, how do you have it connected to the sides? I was thinking of welding some plate to a piece of square tubing and bolting the plate to the body with bolt and lock nut.

Alzax3
13-03-2008, 07:40 PM
The unbuilt Mk4 shell I've got has a 25mm box section across the front of the cockpit, with a plate welded at the right angle each end, drilled for two bolts a side. Haven't looked under my two-pod dash recently enough to remember what's there!

letterman7
13-03-2008, 08:37 PM
My old car was the twin pod dash, and I used a Fiero column in it. I wasn't keen on cutting and welding the car too much, so what I wound up doing was fashioning a plate out of 1/4" aluminum, about 4" wide, with a hole cut on one end for the column to fit through. I rounded that end to contour around the hole, allowing 3/16" for support. On the other end, I guesstimated the angle I would need to attach to the back (or bottom, depending how you look at it) of the dash pod, which in itself was bolted to the main dash. I bent the aluminum to that angle, drilled a couple 1/4" holes, and fastened the plate (after slipping it over the steering column) to the dash, making sure the plate was tight up against the column.
All this in a completed car, upside down with a full wiring harness underneath....back pain indeed! At any rate, at the front of the steering column, GM provides some very nice mounting points which just so happen to coincide with the bottom of the dash panel. Two more bolts, and the entire unit never moved, even after having a 80 pound child bounce on it at one car show. Fiberglass is stronger than you think, if you think through how to assemble it.

R

nbb350
13-03-2008, 09:47 PM
Nic, please don't bid against ebay bidder "nb350" on any Fiero Steering Columns... :nonono: :please:

wonder why? :whistling: :laugh:

Nic
13-03-2008, 10:20 PM
like this one?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/PONTIAC- ... 0206084483 (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/PONTIAC-FIERO-TILT-STEERING-COLUMN-AUTO_W0QQitemZ300206084483QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item 300206084483)

I am looking at either a Subaru column or a Camaro column. Both I can get locally-ish for $50. I REALLY want a Ford Focus column because it has tilt AND telescopic and small stalk controls instead of huge branches sticking out the sides. Those are about $150 or so locally.

Rick... sorry, Im not following everything you said. Im lost on "fashioning a plate out of 1/4" aluminum, about 4" wide, with a hole cut on one end? for the column to fit through. I rounded that end to contour around the hole, allowing 3/16" for support. On the other end, I guesstimated the angle I would need to attach to the back (or bottom, depending how you look at it) of the dash pod, which in itself was bolted to the main dash. I bent the aluminum to that angle, drilled a couple 1/4" holes, and fastened the plate (after slipping it over the steering column) to the dash,"

So, uh all of it I guess. If you could elaborate that would be great. Or of you don't feel like it, thats fine too.

nbb350
13-03-2008, 10:41 PM
Yeah, I'm watching that one...bidding on another, cheaper auction too. But, you can feel free to bid on the $200 column (plus $50 shipping) that some guy keeps listing. :laugh: For some strange reason, he doesn't get any opening bids! :dunce:

letterman7
13-03-2008, 11:34 PM
Yeah, sorry about that Nic. Harder to describe than show. Unfortunately I didn't take any photos, but here is basically what I did:
http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b31/letterman7/Random/steeringsupport.jpg
Now, I had a lip off the bottom edge of the dash panel for some reason. You may not have that. But, if the dash is off anyway, there's no reason you couldn't glass in a piece of wood for support without interfering with anything.
Hope that helps!

Oh, and I used a GM column to simply the installation. Older Beretta's had tilt and telescope, and some Fiero's did too. I chose GM simply for the wiring sequence. Most aftermarket wiring harnesses use GM plugs. I didn't use a harness, but was able to figure out almost all the wires save for the wiper sequence, which requires a circuit board to operate. The turn stalk didn't get too much in the way, but my knees would sometimes hit it. The tilt stalk I bent into a 90* to get it to clear the dash. And I never used it again once I got the position set!

R

bushboy
14-03-2008, 12:29 AM
Nic,
below are the only pic I currently have on my photbucket that show my steering column support. It's from a Mazda MX6 and has tilt but not reach. The metal tube is about 15mm square & is supported at each end by bolting it to the F/G tub and in the centre bu the curved flat bar. This is hidden by the centre consol. The other end of the column is supported by angle brackets bolted to the F/G firewall and the existing column mounts.

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y231/bushboy554/100_2727.jpg

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y231/bushboy554/100_2726.jpg

bushboy

CyCo
14-03-2008, 06:03 AM
I have a Subaru Vortex steering column, not fitted. Was thinking of using that, but it looks like if fitted into the 'reek, the ignition barrel will be about 5" or so under the dash. Shame, wit the very weird steering column, would help the 'reek with a jet fighter look. :whistling:

One of the guys here uses Nissan Pulsar columns as they fit nicely and now he's done about 9 conversions (on 'reeks & buggies), he can do it fairly quickly. :D

Big Birds Car
14-03-2008, 08:41 AM
I have a heavily modified twin pod dash and have made a hoop out of 1.5", thick wall tubing that goes from one side of the car to the other and has just over a 90 degree bend on each end that follows the inside line of the bodyshell. At the bottom of this I welded a flat plate that has two holes in it for bolting through the body flange and into the outer chassis mounts. I had to "dimple" an area where the heater would interfer and where the steering column bolts to.
Steering column is a sierra saffire unit connected to the VW box.
Haven't managed to move it in any direction so am confident that all will be fine on the road. I can actually pick the front of the car up in the air using with an engine hoist (don't ask why I would want to but it does).
The tubing doesn't get in the way of your legs and the main fuse box sits behind it on the drivers side and looks neat and tidy.

jim73vw
14-03-2008, 10:11 AM
Here is my set up

http://jimsvwnovarestoration.blogspot.c ... orrow.html (http://jimsvwnovarestoration.blogspot.com/2007/04/steer-today-steer-tomorrow.html)

Kym
14-03-2008, 02:26 PM
I ran a Subaru Liberty column to match my engine. I used the half brace, the original Subaru column brace from the liberty. I welded a small bracket to the tunnel in the floor pan and welded a plate to the drivers side of the OEM brace to facilitate it being bolted to the fibre glass body. I don't think I have a picture but I will have a look.

Kym

Nic
14-03-2008, 02:39 PM
Ah HA! Now it get it Rick. Thanks for the slick drawing. BB, I was thinking about doing something very similar to that. Jim, that's some serious works there. Looks great. I'd still like to see what others have though, if not to at least get some more dash support/frame work pictures on the site for others to see.

jimcub
14-03-2008, 07:49 PM
Fraid mine's simple - a 1/4" flat bar bolted to side of f/g and bolted to the tunnel, the column is then bolted to this with a U bolt while still retaining the original U bracket that bolted to the F/g dash ( which you could move up and down ).

Nic
14-03-2008, 08:29 PM
I was poking around a few other VW sites and came across this link.
http://www.wizrod.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/ ... s/pix/nova (http://www.wizrod.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/aircooled_conversions/pix/nova)

Interesting, if not sparse, take on a dash.

Alzax3
14-03-2008, 08:43 PM
I've removed the next few postings since they seem to be degenerating a bit :oops2: - so we'll get the thread back on track with Jemp's question:

JemP
16-03-2008, 07:37 PM
BB - the heater? whats it off?

bushboy
17-03-2008, 12:02 AM
Jemp,

Its out of a mini. Slightly modified so I could tuck it away and have the off/demist/car control remote mounted.

I've got another one spare if you are interested!

Bushboy

JemP
25-05-2008, 11:35 AM
Its time to fit the heater before the screen goes back in (once the screen goes in I'll need limbo dancing lessons to get under the dash!!)
BB, if you've still got that spare mini heater, PM me and let me know what you want for it? Or mail me jem@wychboldfc.co.uk

Jem

bushboy
26-05-2008, 12:03 AM
G'day Jem,
Pay the postage & donate 5.00 to Euro-nova and it's yours.

PM me your address or email

bushboy at btopenworld dot com

bushboy

Kym
26-05-2008, 11:42 AM
Martin,

What a great initiative for raising some extra money for Euro-Nova.

Kym

islandman
26-05-2008, 12:24 PM
i like it, great idea....I have a whole bunch of parts I didn't know what to do with and couldn't be bothered to Ebay them. So now next time in the UK I think I will do the same to help generate cash for the site from my spares :clapping:

JemP
27-05-2008, 03:43 PM
G'day Jem,
Pay the postage & donate 5.00 to Euro-nova and it's yours.

PM me your address or email

bushboy at btopenworld dot com

bushboy

Its a deal!!! I'll send pm

JemP
27-05-2008, 03:53 PM
How do I donate to EuroNova now? I tried the old PayPal link but not accepting money.

Help please?

Alzax3
27-05-2008, 06:24 PM
PM Dan (Bobbybrown) - he'll sort you out! And tell him the link isn't working, in case he hasn't noticed..... :cheers: But for Paypal donations : Click Here (http://www.euro-nova.co.uk/phpbb/donate/index.php)

bushboy
27-05-2008, 08:38 PM
:oops2:

what have I started?? I see Ben has offered a similar deal on some lights.

So Dan, best you make a new slot called sell it for Euro-Nova!!!!!!

and to keep it rolling I also have a beatle hand brake rubber boot cover. open for offers!!!!

bushboy

bobbybrown
27-05-2008, 09:56 PM
So Dan, best you make a new slot called sell it for Euro-Nova!!!!!!
:laugh: I will if it carries on!

I've updated the link in the donations forum, I've put a new topic in there called "How to donate..." which contains the new paypal link.

Martin and Ben, its great of you to support the site like this, thanks from me, and everyone else.

Your helping to keep us alive :) Great idea by the way :clapping:

Ben
27-05-2008, 11:25 PM
Hiya bushboy

You have started somthing big for Euro-Nova. :clapping: Lets call it Euro-Nova bay I have lots of Nova and Beetle parts that need to go.

Ben

JemP
28-05-2008, 10:30 AM
5 donation made to a most worthy of cause :)
Let me know the P&P costs BB and I'll paypal across to you asap

Jem

bushboy
28-05-2008, 12:44 PM
Thanks Jem,
I'll get onto it tonight.

Bushboy

bobbybrown
28-05-2008, 12:46 PM
Donation received :clapping:

JemP
28-05-2008, 06:08 PM
I didn't really want to go Mini heater as the RH boys say they're not hot enough, but the cabin of the avante is tiny and enclosed, and I'm sure it'll be fine. anyway its the fresh air blower I want more than anything, and every other heater I've tried has been too big.
So thanks BB
Jem