PDA

View Full Version : computer program

thestevie
30-03-2008, 10:21 PM
is there any program anyone uses to design (chassis, interior, exterior)
that they would recommend?

Alzax3
31-03-2008, 08:43 AM
We were trained in ProEngineer and ProMechanica for chassis type design at University - (Though I quite like the 'Inventor' program too) You draw and construct the item in Engineer, then apply loads to it and see the results in Mechanica. The design side is relatively simple, but the you have to have some idea of the engineering implications for the Mechanica output to make any meaningful sense. For the rest of it old fashioned pencil and paper, or a computer equivalent (Photoshop, Paintshop pro, Photopaint.......)

Spacenut
31-03-2008, 01:43 PM
I used an old Commodore Amiga A500 with a 20 Mb hard drive to analyse the suspension behaviour of the Green Machine chassis. I used a 2-d CAD package and printed the results out (with roll angles up to 5) on a dot matrix printer for full period effect.

I say this only to indicate that you do not need fancy software to do this sort of thing, although when I look at JMD's renderings I wonder how I managed to stay enthusiastic for the project for so long, with only a soft-focus mind's eye view of the finished result :D

Doodling on paper always works for me - I've got a sheaf of papers with chassis and suspension permutations, various variations on canopies, doors and opening side windows... plus a couple of renderings I did using an old Windows 3.1 application called Photofinish (much better for creative work than Photoshop, which seems to be geared around removing red-eye...).

Have fun!

Lauren

Alzax3
31-03-2008, 06:47 PM
Can you use Photoshop to remove red eye? I've never tried that!!!

letterman7
31-03-2008, 07:06 PM
Can you use Photoshop to remove red eye? I've never tried that!!!
Yep...I usually just tint the red-eye darker until it's not noticable.

Alzax3
31-03-2008, 07:15 PM
:notworthy: what I really meant was it's one of the few photo-editing packages I've met that doesn't have a dedicated 'red eye removal' tool - but you'll probably put me right there too, Rick :)

letterman7
31-03-2008, 08:06 PM
Ah :D ! I only use Photoshop sparingly as CorelDraw's PhotoPaint is virtually the same program, and I know it much better. I wouldn't trust a machine to automatically remove red-eye...what's to stop it from removing everything else red?

jmd
01-04-2008, 02:33 PM
Thanks for the bump Lauren,
I am an artist for a living and therefore very visual in everything that I do.

As for apps I just do it up this way.
Pencil drawings to get my head around it.
Then I move onto using photoshop to mock up the idea (for my chassis for instance).
I take this over to Illustrator (another adobe product). and render the parts in flat 2-d.

I then take these parts over into a simple 3d program called Swift3D, I then import and extrude my
flat parts into simple extruded parts, and put them together sort of like lego's. This lets me "SEE" what
my designs look like in the round (or 3d).

I do all of this just to 'see' what my designs look like. There isn't a step to include engineering, stress loading, materials testing ect. This is just all realworld for me. Though I would love to be able to slap some simulation together to work out the
twisting loads in my chassis design... but I am just an artist.

So my apps of choice are photoshop/illustrator/swift3d.
I will start the modeling process of creating the first fully 3d rendered version of the sterling, I will then use this model to propose and finalize my design changes / additions to the car. I can't wait to do this!

Let me know if anyone has any questions about the process.
oh, and as for what photoshop can do... It is one of the most powerful digital tools you can ever use for the creation / manipulation of images. I use it to paint concept art, everyday.