PDA

View Full Version : Seat belts / harnesses

vpogv
10-04-2008, 10:27 PM
Curious as to what everybody has done as far as seat belts go. From what I understand most came (if not all) came with lap belts only. I want to do normal 3-point belts, but hesitant to just mount the upper shoulder mount to just the body. My first thought was to get a sheet of metal and glass that in at the mounting point. That should spread the load out for the mounting bolt incase of an accident. As usual, I wanted to ask the experts.

letterman7
10-04-2008, 11:00 PM
Generic three points are what I bought off Fleabay. I set the buckle side to the floorpan with a huge (3") flat washer to spread the load; the anchor point was to the rear firewall right at the curve. Same deal - large 4" 1/4" plate aluminum to spread the load. The take-up reel was mounted right behind the seat in the same manner as the buckle side.
If you can source seats with the built-in buckle, that's one less hole to drill in the pans...

vpogv
11-04-2008, 12:49 AM
Was the bolt what was securing that aluminum plate to the body?

letterman7
11-04-2008, 01:09 AM
Yep, nothing more. I figured a hardened 5/8" bolt would suffice, so long as it had something thick enough to pull on. It did! The fiberglass in that area is pretty thick - near 3/8" on my particular car. It'll take quite a bit of force to break through that with a large backing plate.

R

vpogv
11-04-2008, 03:00 AM
Awesome, thanks Rick.