PDA

View Full Version : Possible ?

dango
22-04-2008, 09:54 AM
Hi NOVA Friends,

My NOVA have the VW chassis number 119 899 ..., it is from 06/1969.
In the V5C Document I can read:
Date of first registration in the UK: 27 09 1971
Make: BEETLE NOVA
VIN/Chassis/Frame No. SABTVRO..........
Registration Mark: THE 8H

Is it possible, to know on which date or year the car was registred as
BEETLE NOVA with the Chassis Number SABTVRO.......... ?

Friedl

bobbybrown
22-04-2008, 10:27 AM
so its you who bought the "THE 8H" Nova!
That was a very nice car.

Would the first registration date not be the one?

My old Nova's V5 stated the registration date as the date of changeover from Beetle to Nova.

dango
22-04-2008, 11:47 AM
The changeover date from Beetle to NOVA cannot be in 09/1971 !
In "Phill´s Nova book`on page 11 he have wrote:
The first prototype Nova.......was completed in December 1971,
and a production kit was announced early in 1972.....
Page 15: By 1981 a new version........called the Nova series two.
Page 20: Steel frames were introduced for the side windows......

My NOVA have a MK1 bonnet and a MK2 ? canopy with steel frames....
Cannot find a plate or stamp on the body (date, year)!
I think the changeover date is later then 1982, but which year ?????
Pictures on my website.

Friedl

Spacenut
22-04-2008, 12:22 PM
Hello Freidl - you are right, the Nova could not have been registered as such in September 1971. Richard Oakes and Phil Sayers were still building the prototype (the blue one) at this time, and the official launch of the production model was not until the following year.

However, the "H" plate bothers me - this is a "1970" model year registration, and would have been issued to any new car registered between August 1st 1969 to July 31st 1970, which is consistent with the year of manufacture (1969), but not the date of first use in the UK (which would have qualified for a 1971 "J" plate).

My guess is that the Beetle was brought into the UK in 1969, registered on UK plates (gaining a 1970 "H" plate in the process) and then sat around in the showroom for more than a year before somebody bought it. So the "date of first registration" may have been a "date first used on Public roads".

Finding the date at which the Beetle was converted into a Nova is more difficult. The DVLA have a records department that can obtain the records of each change in the V5 document for a specific registration. Normally these changes are just changes of keeper, but changes in seating capacity, engine size etc. are also recorded here. The records can be obtained from DVLA for a fee (still £5 I believe) and if they go back far enough you should be able to see the point at which "VW Beetle" became "Beetle Nova".

The Mk2 canopy did not have any steel reinforcement fitted as standard - perhaps the frames you are referring to were for the targa-top version (which was made after 1982). Looking at the picture of your car on the website I suspect it is a Mk2 body with a Mk1 ("nostril") bonnet fitted. The canopy has the distinctive raised "eyebrow" over the windscreen and the dashboard appears to be a Mk2 item. You don't have the awful rear bumper, but that can be removed which leaves a more sculpted moulding which is based on the Mk1 undertray.

MicksRedNova has found a body identification stamping on his Mk2 which is on the rear flange of the engine cover, on the underside I think. I can't remember what the code was, but you might want to have a look there as well.

Lauren

dango
23-04-2008, 11:31 AM
My information from VW Germany:
The Beetle was a VW 1500, RHD, with an automatic gearbox and IRS.
Built on: 05 06 1969
Country of destination: Ramsgate, England

I have bougt the car with a 4 speed gearbox and a 1200 Motor.

In the V5C - Special Notes:
Was registered/used overseas. Declared manufactured 1969.
Date of first registration (and in the UK): 27 09 1971
Body type: Saloon
Taxation class: Historic vehicle
Cyl. cap.: 1493
Type of fuel: Petrol
Weelplan: 2-Axle-Rigid body

Have anybody the (email)address from the DVLA records department ?

Lauren, thanks for your comment.

Friedl

bobbybrown
23-04-2008, 11:35 AM
Now you say it, thats very true.
How stupid of me :oops2: :laugh:

Spacenut
24-04-2008, 07:54 AM
Hi Freidl - that makes sense - the car was used overseas for a year or so before coming to the UK. That explains the "H" plate registration on a car "registered" in 1971.

The relevant page on the DVLA site is this one. You can apply for information on-line or by post. There is a small fee for this service (5 GBP), but I have used it before to track the history of my Barracuda (still plucking up courage to do it for the Green Machine) and it works well although it can take a while to get a reply as the records office tend to be quite busy! In fact, they waived my fee because it took them so long to respond, so you might get lucky. As the owner of the car, you have "reasonable cause" to request this data.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/Ow ... DG_4022067 (http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/OwningAVehicle/AdviceOnKeepingYourVehicle/DG_4022067)

Good luck!

Lauren

dango
24-04-2008, 10:07 AM
Thank you Lauren, thats it !

cheers

Friedl