PDA

View Full Version : Fame at last...

Spacenut
02-06-2008, 02:31 PM
I've just been told that the Green Machine has got into the July issue of Classic & Sports Car in the club round-up section. Covering the Alfa owners club show at Chatham dockyard (the day after Detling), the report is entitled "Alfa Specials Steal the Show", with a picture of TGM and a Minari which coincidentally happened to be parked alongside. I had talked to the C&SC reporter at some length about the car, but I think he was just looking for an original angle. I've already posted an apology on the AROC site as there is bound to be an outcry from the marque purists, but hey! Any publicity is good publicity, as the old saying goes :D

The July issue must have only just hit the newsstands, it was still the June issue when I looked on Saturday. I better get a copy to see if I've been mis-quoted!

Well, I couldn't let Nova Nena steal all the limelight (geddit?) now, could I :tongue:

Lauren

bobbybrown
02-06-2008, 02:39 PM
:clapping: Well done Lauren :clapping:

Would be good if someone could scan and upload the article too :bleh:

Ben
02-06-2008, 09:20 PM
Hiya Spacenut

Well done puting a Alfa engine a Nova and becoming famous :cool1:

The marque purists :laugh: at least the engine and runing gear pushing a better shaped car :bleh:

Ben

Spacenut
03-06-2008, 07:47 AM
Hi Ben - yes, that's the way I should look at it. But I do rely on AROC to get into these places, so I don't want to offend too many people.

These are a couple of pictures I took at Chatham, I haven't seen the picture in C&SC yet, but its bound to be one with the canopy open (honestly, why would you want to take pictures of a car with its doors ajar?)

http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x91/euronova/Spacenut/CNV00011-2.jpg

If you look carefully you will notice that in spite of the crowds, everyone is looking the other way!

http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x91/euronova/Spacenut/CNV00018-3.jpg

My favourite picture of the day, with the imposing Governor's residence in the background and the rain clouds looming overhead...

http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x91/euronova/Spacenut/CNV00030.jpg

In the chasmic space between the 18th century ropery buildings (great industrial backdrop)

http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x91/euronova/Spacenut/CNV00032-1.jpg

Ditto.

AROC invited me to join the Alfasud register display at the Auto Italia show at Stanford Hall on Sunday which was fun. The Top Gear team were filming for the next series, but I'm not supposed to say anything about that yet :zipped:

bushboy
03-06-2008, 08:14 AM
:notworthy: Lauren :notworthy: ,

So good to see you getting so much exposure for your car & the Marque.
Once it is on the road I'll have to try & gate crash the ALL FORD days (The mazda donk came from a probe & so has the oval badge on it) I could them try to crash the all jap days, all bug days etc, etc. Thats the nice thing about having a bitsa I guess.

Keep up the excellent PR.

Bushboy

Spacenut
03-06-2008, 11:26 AM
Hi BB - yes, I wondered about that too. I don't make too much fuss about it, but my steering rack and uprights are Ford, and my steering column is Rover...

The problem with all these shows is that they tend to clash, like Detling and AROC Chatham, on the basis that you couldn't possibly be interested in both!

I had to pass on 2 local events to go to AI Stanford and I haven't had any feedback from the Goodwood Breakfast Club or the classic car show at Butser Hill yet...

Thanks for the kind words BB, I'm sure you'll be out there getting the 'Reek noticed very soon now :D

Lauren

jmd
06-06-2008, 03:57 AM
I just spotted this post!!!

congrats, and well done.
the photos of your car are so perfect.
You've got an eye on you madam, thanks
for sharing with the rest of us.

can't wait to see the scan.

Spacenut
06-06-2008, 07:44 AM
Thanks Josh - I'm off to get my copy of C&SC this afternoon (although I have heard from a friend that TGM looks pretty good in the picture - he gets C&SC on subscription)

Of course, Classic & Sports Car is distributed internationally, although I don't know how readily available it is 'Stateside. Its easily my favourite classic car publication (has been for years), but at over 4 a throw ($8+) I don't buy it every month :D

Lauren

CyCo
06-06-2008, 10:01 AM
Go Spacenut, go Spacenut, go Spacenut, gooooo!

:)

essexdave
06-06-2008, 09:24 PM
Lauren.
Well done on getting TGM into print........ still love that colour.
Just one point though..... you've parked it reeeeeeally close to that socking great lump of timber, now considering thats the corner that got mangled
id have to say you either know your cars extremities really well or had a lucky escape !!
My young un reckons you probably pushed it there after you parked so that people who know you cant see naff all of the front of the car from the
drivers seat , would be impressed at your driving accumen and parking skills......... as for me..... well i'll reserve judgement . :clapping:
Well done again .
Dave.

Phill
08-06-2008, 08:06 PM
I bought a copy of c&sc today just so I could see your car in the magazine.
They certainly gave you a good mention - said that your car had stolen the show - so well done.
Also it's good to see a classic car magazine giving the Nova a mention.
It's now no longer just a kit car but a recognised classic in its own right.

Spacenut
09-06-2008, 07:17 AM
you've parked it reeeeeeally close to that socking great lump of timber...id have to say you either know your cars extremities really well or had a lucky escape!!

Hi E-Dave - guilty as charged (of the lucky escape) :crylol:

I drove in, clocked the wooden beams and parked up, then got out and realised how close I had come to disaster!

But I played it cool and everyone thought I had parked with millimetre precision :D

Hi Phill - David Evans (C&SC Chief Sub-Editor apparently) certainly thought the car had stolen the show (there was a fair crowd around it for most of the day, particularly when the canopy was open), but I still think he was just looking for a fresh angle. There were a fair amount of classic Bertone Alfa GTV's there, some very nice, but the largest turnout was of modern Alfas (156/159 etc.), which are all very nice, but when there's a hundred of them in a row (all in that typical Alfa brick red colour) it can get a bit samey.

One of the AROC members (who owns a super-rare Montreal) had the cheek to complain that there wasn't anything interesting at Chatham, but he left his car at home because of the weather forecast! And the sole Montreal in attendance left at midday as the rain closed in.

I was glad he put in the Detling plug, but I think it was to highlight the rarity of Novas these days.

Lauren

Alzax3
09-06-2008, 07:37 AM
GTVs mmmm there was a nice looking car! Way back, I couldn't find one that wasn't a rust bucket, so had to 'put up with' a Lancia HPE (which also turned out to be a rust bucket eventually, but was great fun while it lasted - 2 litre twin cam, all wheel disc brakes - Carmarthen to Dorking in 2.5 hours (pre speed cameras :whistling: :blushing:) - total brake failure going down the hairpins at Hexworthy on Dartmoor :shock: - survied without crashing into anything :D :drive: ....) BTW: why is it that Italian cars seem to stuff more wire under the dashboard than ANY sane electrician could ever want to have to mess with?

Spacenut
09-06-2008, 08:16 AM
why is it that Italian cars seem to stuff more wire under the dashboard than ANY sane electrician could ever want to have to mess with?

I suspect because most of it doesn't work! You can just imagine the scene at the factory - installed loom doesn't work, solution? Add extra wires until it does!

Italian electrics are still the #1 worst I have come across, followed closely (for different reasons) by American wiring (at least from the classic musclecar era)

letterman7
09-06-2008, 11:35 AM
Italian electrics are still the #1 worst I have come across, followed closely (for different reasons) by American wiring (at least from the classic musclecar era)

:laugh: Gee...thanks...what's the old joke? Why do Britains enjoy warm beer? Because the fridge has Lucas electronics....

But it's marginally true. We need eight wires to make a light bulb work. If that doesn't do it, add a circuit board for good measure.

Spacenut
09-06-2008, 12:24 PM
Sorry Rick - no offence meant. I think it was more to do with the fact that the musclecars were thrown together as they weren't expected to last more than a year!

I too, have heard many bad things about Lucas electronics (alternators mainly), but to date have never experienced any problems myself (although a Lucas Opus electronic ignition system was a bit of a pig until I sorted the earthing out).

Lauren

Alzax3
09-06-2008, 07:39 PM
And I've never had a Lucas alternator go, whilst I've got through LOADS of Marelli and Bosch items.....

Spacenut
10-06-2008, 12:32 PM
The reputation seems to have arisen from BL exports to the 'States, mainly Jaguars it seems. E-type 2+2's and XJ6's in the main. There are lots of US-spec XJs running around with Chevy V8 conversions.

I guess its probably safe to say that wiring/ancilliaries in ANY old car, irrespective of nationality, are likely to be less reliable.

:sorry: Rick, hope that's more diplomatic!

Lauren

letterman7
10-06-2008, 02:04 PM
:cheers: No need for apologies, Lauren. I was just pulling your leg! I was at a car show not too long ago that had a 'British Invasion' of sorts, with vintage MG's, Triumphs and Healeys. More than a few of the owners were walking around with T-shirts that read "Lucas: Prince of Darkness". I really wanted one of those.... :tongue: