PDA

View Full Version : air filter 2, return of the killer air filter

ant
17-07-2008, 03:49 PM
Hi

Ok i have just received my type 3 air filters, they look as though they are the right size but when i talked to the guy in the shop he said type three engine have a spindle that the filter goes on and you have a nut on the end that nips the filter together.

After slumping in horror can anyone tell me how you fit these to a standard beetle engine as i can see that a nut and bolt would keep the filter together but there is no lip as on my buggy filter that a clip can go on and then be tightened .How do i do it as if i take the filter out of the packaging i cant take it back.

cheers

ant

letterman7
17-07-2008, 04:48 PM
We need to know what carb you're running, ant. A photo will help. Stock Solex carbs have that center spindle, so no worries there if it's just gone missing. Brosel, Kadron and Weber carbs mount differently; the air cleaners that mount to then typically have a large band clamp at the bottom and a rubber skirt to clamp over the carb throat. I think the first step is to make sure the cleaner actually fits the carb, not just 'looks like the right size' and go from there.

Alzax3
17-07-2008, 07:55 PM
Sorry Ant, I didn't take much notice of your carb and just assumed it was a standard Solex - is there any reason why it shouldn't be? Mine is the normal one, and relies on a collar on the filter to attach it to the carb body. I have a spare, boring pancake filter I bought secondhand from Retrodubs for a quid in case I needed it for the Moggy - which I don't. This has the right sized collar and lock-strap, but may be too high for a Mk1 engine cover.... it's certainly too tight for mine. You could use it to adapt your new one by fitting the collar from it into yours, I had to do exactly that to make the K&N filtercharger work. (it's a place where rivets of some sort are actually the proper way to do it!)

ant
19-07-2008, 11:07 AM
Hi

Thats the problem with the filters i have bought, no collar. I Know from my buggy that i had to create some spacers so that it would fit when i changed engines, but that filter does have a collar and these dont.

Alex, i might be after that filter, or i will take mine back and go for a mini pancake or something else.

Ant