PDA

View Full Version : Help in identification

wrigglypig
19-07-2008, 02:41 PM
Hi there I am new here and dreaming of owning a nova, I have found a shell but has a fixed windscreen and no canopy someone has fitted a steel beam in the roof area to try and make a targa top? any help would be appreciated. Hope I have attached the photos ok
Kev

07809 870560

vpogv
19-07-2008, 04:16 PM
Now that would be a project. Would need the entire donor beetle, then to bring that nova back to health would take a good amount of work. If it were me I would keep looking, unless you like the look of that body.

ant
19-07-2008, 07:02 PM
If you can get it ultra cheap it may be worth having for parts and the wheels could be ok, how much can u get it for??

ant

Alzax3
19-07-2008, 07:43 PM
Looks like a weird Nova/Eagle cross-over! Doesn't look like it would be too easy to get in and out of, and would be a bit of a pain with our weather. probably would be pretty difficult to re-instate the canopy - not easy to see from those photos just how they altered it structurally to look like it is. If you're new to kit cars, and Novas in particular, I'd give this one a miss whatever the price, or you may end up wishing you've never heard of them - enough people manage that even when they start from a much more complete example!

Peter
19-07-2008, 10:27 PM
I agree with the above, unless you are skilled, have loadsa dosh and time, forget it. the majority of builds, both new and rebuild, fall by the wayside and end up like this due mainly to a lack of expertise, time and money, not to mention the significant other nagging about the "money pit" in the drive and lack of facilities.
Take good advise and buy a project that is standard, at least 90% finished (and done well, or you will end up doing it all again 'properly') and you have the means, time and space (and family approval) to undertake what may end up a three year project, or more.
Peter
p.s. a screen (if you can get one) will set you back at least 450.00 for starters.

wrigglypig
20-07-2008, 10:27 AM
Thanks for the advice, I think I will leave it to rest in peace! Just for info its is on a full chassis with engine the guy who has it has mant dead beetles. including a couple of converted ones, including a wizard of rods van conversion, a willys coupe and a baja together with standard beetles and engines / axles gearboxes.

MicksRedNova
20-07-2008, 08:14 PM
It's a Shame - it appears to have had a considerable amount of work done, moulding in the body panels etc, and looks like it has been wired so may have been near, or on the road, at one time. Wouldn't surprise me if the canopy is bolted down, chopped and fillered to end up with this Targa top. It may be possible to recover it from it's current decayed state if you have a big enough garage, sufficient tools and time. A large percentage of the parts seem to be there.

If you DO have sufficient garage, tools, time etc and can get it for less than 100 I'd say go for it. If it turns out to be a turkey you can always stick it on eBay and cut your losses.

Mick

letterman7
20-07-2008, 10:30 PM
Hmmm....true, if you could grab it cheap, then fabricating *GASP* doors wouldn't be all that difficult using the foam and fiberglass method. You'd still be dealing with the targa issue and a sunny day car, but still...

Alzax3
21-07-2008, 06:35 AM
Sat in mine yesterday and thinking about this sad one in the 'storage yard' even with the T roof section included in the doors (a la GT40) it would be very hard getting out of the car as it stands. Your legs are very tucked down under the dashboard, and even with a full canopy it's a bit of an 'art' getting in and out. Having the doors cut down much more into the side of the cockpit (giving you an opening more like the eagle) could work better, but you'd need to have seats that didn't 'bucket' you in too much either. Altering the shell that way would give more space to mount hinges too......

Spacenut
21-07-2008, 08:39 AM
Hmmm... the build date (October 1980) would be consistent with a Mk1 Elam car, but have you noticed whoever did the flushing in of the canopy has changed the angle of the windscreen aperture as well (Purvis Eureka style) to get a little more headroom.

The bodywork structure means you can't cut into it without weakening the structure, so the doors will always be very shallow. Having GT40 style cut-outs in the roof will help, but as Alex says it will still be a very awkward vehicle to get in and out of, more so than a conventional Nova in fact!

As Mick says, its a shame that so much effort has gone into the car, only for it to end up like this, but it is no project for the faint-hearted that's for sure. Probably best avoided, unless you cut the roof off completely and go for the aeroscreen roadster we were discussing a while back... :D

Lauren

nigelf
21-07-2008, 10:48 AM
You don't show a rear view Wrigglypig, although from one picture it looks like there's a wheel lying on the engine cover. Do you know if he has the rear louvre and engine cover, as I might be interested in them?

ant
21-07-2008, 10:52 AM
Could make an intersting beach buggy/nova hybrid though???

Again, if u have the space might be worth it, chop the top and have a buggy type screen or something. maybe a weird and intersting new thingy!

Tis all about the moolah though, could also chop for parts as we have/will or do need bits and bobs for our cars, quite fancy the buttons etc from the dash myself

cheers

ant

wrigglypig
21-07-2008, 07:19 PM
Ill see if I can call in and see how much wornga we are talking of, there is no grill or louvre just whats in the picture :laugh:

wrigglypig
22-07-2008, 09:38 PM
I have spoken to the guy that has the shell and all the other beetle stuff he is happy for anyone to call him about the stuff he has he is called Adrian Holmes and can be contacted on 07854 018572 if you need it beetle wise he has probably got it , good luck. He is a good guy so please dont give him too much aggro :cheers: Please mention you got his details from me .. Kev