PDA

View Full Version : SVAable Nova?

Alzax3
20-07-2008, 07:42 PM
Finally got to meet Richard Oakes today - interesting chat, he can't see why the Nova would be hard to put through the SVA test, he doesn't have a problem getting his Blackjacks through. He said this while looking at mine, which does have the single arm wiper, whcih was built with 2.5mm radius curves in mind unlike the pantographs.........
http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x91/euronova/Talex/richard.jpg

bushboy
20-07-2008, 08:23 PM
& the image is???

I'd agree with Richard. Other than the headlight height, every thing else should be straight forward. Unlike the westies the Nova has no exposed bolts, rod ends, etc etc.

bushboy

Alzax3
20-07-2008, 08:30 PM
Sorry that's Me, Richard and a guy from Penzance who has an all GRP Mini. Richard didn't seem to think that the SVA checked the headlight height, (though he'd have to check his manual) and that
if they did, then it would be a case of temporary mods to the front end to get it to pass. Basically it's the first time I've spoken to someone who really seemed confident and unfussed about the SVA test.

bushboy
20-07-2008, 08:35 PM
The image didn't show first time, just the word image!!!

It shows up now!???!

bushboy

Alzax3
20-07-2008, 08:36 PM
Obviously one of those days! Computer gremlins.....

Spacenut
21-07-2008, 08:17 AM
Hmm, that's very interesting. I thought the SVA test was bound by the C&U regulations, which obviously stipulate the height of the obligatory lighting (headlights, indicators, sidelights etc.) - didn't BB post a rough guide to Westy lighting regs a little while back?

The other issue as you say would be windscreen wiper swept area, and also the canopy - if it is considered a "door" then it would have to have anti-burst latches, not rely on hydraulic or screw-jack pressure, however effective they may be. The return of the T-handle canopy, perhaps?

Its good to see Richard taking an interest in his most outrageous design (I was going to say best-known, but I suspect not after all these years, and other successful cars, like the GTM Libra etc.).

Lauren

bushboy
21-07-2008, 06:57 PM
Lauren,
Yes I did post a westie lighting SVA compliance picture, and I'm also sure that the little I have on the SVA test refers to the light positioning.

As for the windscreen wiper door senario, If I ever have to run a Nova through SVA then it will be going with out the canopy, no windscreen, no de-mister required, no wiper arms & no doors to worry about.

Just my 2.7354765098512p worth.

Bushboy

JemP
21-07-2008, 07:20 PM
Yes, I'm with BB here, I'd put it in for SVA without the canopy on :)

Yessong
21-07-2008, 07:49 PM
So the big question is - did Mr Oakes have those two big brown dogs with him that we see in that old article?

Spacenut
22-07-2008, 07:32 AM
So the big question is - did Mr Oakes have those two big brown dogs with him that we see in that old article?

That was 1972 (Car & Driver) - the dogs would be a little past it by now :D

jimcub
22-07-2008, 12:14 PM
What about the sharp edge at the front, I thought there were radius regulations regarding body shape etc.

hildi25
22-07-2008, 04:27 PM
If you are having problems with the headlights being too low use pop-up light fixtures. This is one thing that I considered durring fabrication also the thickness of the tire(rubber) cannot be taller than that of the lowest point of the body or car. I could be wrong but I know that the CHP will check those if stopped, and they want to find a way to give you a ticket!!!

Yessong
22-07-2008, 05:09 PM
"the thickness of the tire(rubber) cannot be taller than that of the lowest point of the body or car"...???

Boy am I glad I live in NY - they'll let you get away wityh anything here as long as you have lights...a horn and the brakes work.

Alzax3
22-07-2008, 06:18 PM
The idea is not to ruin the lines with pop-ups, though it is the easy soloution. (I know they're mostly only up when it's dark, and people like Islandman have done really neat jobs with theirs) All the obvious curves on the Mk 1 appeared to have the right radius (though using my modified front end probably wasn't the best one to check on!) I'd have to go and look at the Mk 4 shell to see what that one's like. I think Richard did mention that the canopy should be regarded as a cabriolet top, not as doors - which enabled you to ignore some of the other complications......

jimcub
24-07-2008, 07:19 PM
could you not fit popped up lights on the glassed area, then remove them after the test and revert back to normal. Or is that not allowed these days