PDA

View Full Version : Yet Another New Guy from California with a Suby Transplant

jeshado
23-07-2008, 08:09 AM
Hello Everyone,

I bought Sterling #113 off E-Bay A couple summers ago.I was in the process of installing a twin turbo 320 until I broke my ankle at work. :oops2: It'll be a couple more months before I get back at it.I wonder if buying a car with the #13 had anything to do with my ankle? :nonono:

I wanted to ask Gdog if he has installed his suby yet?

I live in Meridian,Ca. Thanks for letting me join.

Randy

vpogv
23-07-2008, 11:10 AM
Welcome aboard Randy. Can't wait to see pictures and hear about progress on your car.

letterman7
23-07-2008, 11:58 AM
Welcome aboard Randy! You've got the car that ran off the line one before my old car...neat to find a 'sister' car!

Kym
23-07-2008, 12:05 PM
Hi Randy and welcome. Subaru...good choice. Mine had a 2.2 from a Legacy. If I get another for the right price it will be 2.0 WRX. Welcome.

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=35&start=0&st=0&sk=t&sd=a (http://www.euro-nova.co.uk/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=35&start=0&st=0&sk=t&sd=a)
1Eureka
Kym

Nic
23-07-2008, 04:52 PM
Hi Randy. Welcome to the board and community. I'm in Walnut Creek about 100 miles from you according to Google.

Big Birds Car
23-07-2008, 09:20 PM
Hi from the other side of the pond. What sort of condition was your car when you got it? Was it a case of removing the old motive power and installing the scooby engine and off you go or, as more usual, you started to work on it and got carried away.
Whatever there are a number of people on here that have or are fitting similar engines so you will be in good company and should be able to get some really useful info from them.
Some photo's would be good to see.
Ignore the 13 issue and hope your ankle lets you play soon.

jeshado
24-07-2008, 12:02 AM
When I bought the car on E-Bay,( Tell me if you heard this before)
The VW engine had just been gone thru,Plugs,carb rebuild, new brakes, sure you can drive it home. :rofl: :rofl:
Well,700 miles later in the Mile High City of Denver.The Exhaust Header broke in half,the engine back-fired thru the carb and caught on fire. :oops2:

Luckily the brakes worked good and all it cost me was a T-Shirt to put out the fire.
At the same time the engine seized and would not start. It wouldn't even turn over. :cursing:

It was towed from Denver to Meridian for about 2 Grand :cry:

If I would have just kept with a VW it was driveable.But I like more power which means a lot more work to change to water cooled,Suby,turboed,intercooler fits where the gas tank goes.
Change one thing means change ten it seems.I'm sure it will be a year before I drive it again.
It never ends----Randy

Big Birds Car
24-07-2008, 07:43 AM
Oooops!!

Well on the plus side you like more power and a scooby unit is certainly going to give you that, so you have just skipped the bit about driving for a while whilst you decided what to do. (expensive tow job though ouch).

I've gone water cooled as well but with a pinto engine (nowhere near the power you are talking of but it is the daughters car really and running costs, parts and insurance are factors in the decision), and as you say one alteration creates a mass of others but it will be worth it in the end. (I haven't worked on the Nova for a year now and it is just collecting rubbish and other car parts loaded onto it in it and under it. Not happy but the other car related issues have to be done before I can get back to it).

hildi25
25-07-2008, 12:43 AM
Welcome abord!!! Yes I have heard of someone saying they "rebuilt" the engine, and it not making it very far, or passing smog. It depends on who rebuilt it and what they did when rebuilding it. If I don't do it myself or if it isn't factory I always worry.

Gdog98012
25-07-2008, 04:27 AM
Hey Randy,
Welcom aboard. I also look forward to seeing pictures of your car. I have yet to install the Scooby. I am having a few hardware issues and a huge "honey do" list in the way. At least I can still have the garage for my car. Anyway, I am ready to install I just need a few peices of hardware. Let me know if you need any help. Again Welcome and hope to see your car soon.

Gary