PDA

View Full Version : Engine removal

bobbybrown
29-07-2008, 11:24 AM
I know a few of you guys have had to remove your engines for various reasons, so I'm just basically asking how it compares to removing the engine on a tin top?
I've done that more times that I can count, but as I don't want to mess anything up on the nova, I wanted to ask here.

Does the box need to come out with the engine or is it supported individually?
If it does need to come out, where are the linkages located?
It will speed things up if I don't have to look around for certain bits :bleh:

Thanks in advance

Big Birds Car
29-07-2008, 12:02 PM
Box stays in place, undo all the linkages/pipes etc to carbs, wiring to alternator, oil light etc. etc. possibly the heat exchangers on the exhaust and then you have 4 bolts on the bellhousing to undo and pull the engine out and down.
That's in it's basic form (remember I'm a water cooled guy :laugh: )
The bottom of the bellhousing has two mounts that are bolted to the strap that connects to the horn ends, leave them in place (they are basically the engine mounts but actually support the gearbox directly and not the engine itself) oh they are usually knackard so replacement wouldn't be a bad thing and they are cheap).
As you know others have a lot more experience but for someone who works on cars you should have very little to worry about with this unit it is very basic.

bobbybrown
29-07-2008, 01:05 PM
Fantastic.
I work on cars on a regular basis so hopefully it shouldnt be too much of a task.

Will the box need to be removed as I need to get the tank out and from what I can see, it sits directly above the gearbox.

Looks like Euro-Nova is finally useful on a technical basis to me too :crylol:

letterman7
29-07-2008, 01:18 PM
Like BBC says, disconnect all the wiring, hoses, etc. The four bolts are (roughly) at 11:00, 1:00 (starter is held on by this one, and is only loosened on the engine side), 5:00 and 7:00. Put a car jack with a board under the motor and take the weight of the motor before you start to undo the bolts. Once everything is off, then you should be able to slide the jack with the motor on it to the rear to clear the bellhousing.
As for the fuel tank...yep, you'll have to drop the tranny. If it's an IRS, no big deal - unbolt the joints on the wheel sides, undo the coupling joint in the car (at the rear of the tunnel under the inspection plate), and unbolt the mounts front and rear.

R

bobbybrown
29-07-2008, 01:20 PM
Excellent.
Will see how far I can get on that tonight.
Engine should come out tonight anyway, but we will see if the transmission gets out tonight or tomorrow.
I'll take my camera with me today so I can get some better pictures of the car, and the progress I get tonight.

Think I need to start a thread in "your cars" :clapping:

vpogv
29-07-2008, 01:53 PM
At least with my engine I was cussing up a storm when trying to remove one of the top bolts. The exhaust was in the way of getting any amount of twist to it, the opening was too small for a rachet so I ended up sawing off the exhaust in order to get to the bolt. :annoyed:

But it really was cake beyond that.

Big Birds Car
29-07-2008, 02:05 PM
Rick, doubtful it will be IRS as they only appeared on automatic VW's over here until a fair bit later on and then they had the strut front end with IRS so unless someone has cut and shut at one end or the other on Dan's chassis it will be a swing axle.
Dan not a problem if the tranny has to come out as once the engine is removed then all you need do is discannect the clutch cable in the engine area, go inside ontop of the transmission tunnel behind the seat is a panel (one screw) Undo it and you will see the gear selector shaft, undo the bolt. Back in the engine bay discannect the brake hoses and handbrake cables, remove the bolts on the spring plates and the shockabsorbers then undo the two horn bolts and the front gearbox mount and it should come away (going by memory as I don't have a manual) Just check there is nothing obvious still attached. No real brute force required, so if it is giving some greif recheck.

bobbybrown
29-07-2008, 02:23 PM
thanks a lot, will advise on progress tonight.

jimcub
29-07-2008, 02:27 PM
When I replaced my tank I did not need to remove the tranny, I cut the fibreglass so that it would slide out, then replaced it with sturdy metal brackets and bolts to suit. So if the need arose again it would be a simple job.

http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x91/euronova/UKK469H/gearboxrear.jpg

Its the bit with the drips going upwards. i cut it with a dremel, you have to remove the outlet pipe at the bottom as well but there is room.

bobbybrown
29-07-2008, 02:33 PM
Starting to look like a difficult job once the engine is out.
I'll have a crack at it and see what happens.
I don't really want to be cutting the fibreglass if I can help it.

jimcub
30-07-2008, 12:22 AM
Then you have more work to take the tranny out, or lift the body up.
Now it's done you can't tell, unless you go poking your head upside down inside the engine compartment.