PDA

View Full Version : Automatic VW Transaxle?

hildi25
13-08-2008, 08:28 PM
One of my sterlings has an autoshift transaxle. Looks brandnew and I was trying to research this style transaxle, well I ended up here. Does anybody Know if this is an upgrade or not. I did find out that porsche did design it and liscensed it to VW, which I did find interesting. Does anyone know if this has a higher top speed than that of an original VW transaxle and any other info that I know some of you probably know.

Much appreciated
Rob Hilditch

letterman7
13-08-2008, 10:28 PM
The VW auto tranny was a joint venture between VW, Audi and Porsche. They weren't the most popular of items due to the limited torque that the torque converter could take (read: stock engine only). When they work, they're fine, but parts, especially the converter and vacuum canister, are becoming increasingly hard to find. Common problems include a dodgy switch on the shifter (you still need to "shift", just without a clutch) and vacuum leaks at the canister. They don't offer a higher top speed as the converter is speed limited to 75 (I think), but for general all-around cruising I think it's a nice break from shifting all the time!

JemP
24-09-2008, 09:37 AM
I was only ever given one piece of advice about the semi-auto Beetle box from a guy who'd spent 25 years running a VW garage. "If its a good one, take it out and sell it, if its a bad one, take it out and sell it"
I think he was trying to tell me to avoid using one like the plague. Didn't Saab also bring out one of these weird boxes which actuated the clutch by sensing pressure on the top of the gear stick??

jimcub
25-09-2008, 07:52 PM
There was a complete set up on ebay last month, looks like some one took your advice Jemp.