PDA

View Full Version : pushrod tubes

cainthomas
22-10-2008, 07:42 PM
hi i am havng little bit of a problem one of my pushrod tubes have burst as the car back fired as i have messt up the firing order, rhite got so far into the work today first Remove the valve cover then Remove the two rocker shaft mounting nuts take the rocker shaft off then Withdraw the pushrods from the pushrod tubes rhite then i was stuck as pushrod tubes still put up a fight to come out any of you guys done this or any hints as how you got yours out was pry them out with a srew driver as i got so far but didnt want to damage anything thanks

cain

NovaNigel
22-10-2008, 10:11 PM
Cainthomas

You will need to strip the engine down to remove the cylinder head on the side of the engine that is affected. Sorry but there is no other way to replace these tubes. You might be able to just loosen the head but the inlet manifold and exhaust would need to be removed first.
Screwdriver prying will not solve the problem. :shock: There are adjustable in length push rod tubes available but you need to remove the old ones first and there are 4 on each side.
If you need anymore help let me know.

Nigel

cainthomas
24-10-2008, 09:16 AM
once i have removed the manifold and exhaust what would be the next thing as i cant move the manifold of the car as the dynamo has a rounded bolt on the dynamo and the bolt is behind the manifold if worst comes to the worst i will have to chizzle the head of as i need the car running agen as i am having a garage for her next month as winter is coming best place for her then is garage

letterman7
24-10-2008, 06:17 PM
You shouldn't have to touch the generator to remove the head, cain. The head is held on by bolts under the rocker covers - loosen them up first. You may be able to just loosen the bolts enough to back the head off the case by 1/2-3/4 of an inch, pull the push-rods (mark them where they came from and note which way was top!) then pull the tubes out. If it's just the one, just cut it with some snips in the middle, and use pliers to pull it out. Don't pry against the case with a screwdriver. Take your new tube and re-install, and re-torque the head back down according to the specs in the manual (you do have a VW Bentley manual, don't you?).

bobbybrown
24-10-2008, 06:42 PM
Also, if you take more than one push rod out, don't mix them up when you put them back in.
They like to be installed where they came from :wink:

The prying screwdriver is a definate no no though, could cause even more damage.

cainthomas
25-10-2008, 11:01 AM
hi rick ye just bought one yesterday well worth the money will have a nose at it 2day :)

hi dan its only the one thats gone but i mite do all one side as all the rods are showing there age and i bought a set any ways

Peter
26-10-2008, 08:24 PM
Two piece push rod tubes come into their own in these cases, just pop out the rods, slack of the tubes and drop out, either threaded ones like mine or the spring loaded ones (not so good).