PDA

View Full Version : front disc backing plates

jobuguk
03-11-2008, 09:58 PM
I was just wondering do you really need the backing plates on the front disc, and also iv'e split the calipers in half, how can i get the pots out of the calipers as all 4 of mine are seized in :confused1:

jimcub
03-11-2008, 10:10 PM
main aim is to contain dust and help vent the disc's

Alzax3
04-11-2008, 08:28 AM
Need is relative - on some cars (original Austin Metro for example) their soul purpose seemed to be to randomly catch pieces of gravel and alarm my mum with the short but frightening ringing/scraping noise! Unlikely to be any great problem if you take them off.

I had the seized piston problem with my calipers too, you can tease them out, (WD-40, lever on the groove gently from each side, apply gentle heat that sort of thing) but chances are it they've corroded they're always going to be stiff however well you clean them up - I got mine to the point that they'd work fine, happily pass MOTs but wouldn't quite stop rubbing the disk after being applied. Finally gave up and bought a new set!

jobuguk
04-11-2008, 09:55 PM
thanks for your feedback, it looks like i mite have to buy new calipers because these have been sitting out side on the car for years and had no rubber dust caps on 3 of the pistons. As for the backing plates i need to buy 2 new one's so i'm thinking of leaving them off.

is ther any alternative back disc conversion for a swing axle that anybody nows of apart from the one's from ssp or other vw outlets.

Spacenut
05-11-2008, 08:23 AM
There's probably no real need for backing plates if the car is not being regularly used in adverse weather conditions. Nearly every 7even I see has had the backplates removed, and their wheels are considerably more exposed to the elements.

The VW backing plates were never designed to assist brake cooling, they are intended to keep small stones out of the caliper/pad area. Unless you are rallying I think you will be fine.

I would definately recommend new calipers if the pistons are siezed in the bores. They are relatively cheap and offer peace of mind. Don't forget to check the front/rear brake bias though - Novas with discs will lock up the front wheels far too quickly, particularly in the wet... don't ask me how I know :blushing:

Lauren

Peter
23-11-2008, 10:56 AM
[quote="Alzax3"]randomly catch pieces of gravel and alarm my mum with the short but frightening ringing/scraping noise!
Too true, my misses called me out of work one day just for that resaon, I was not best pleased when after I had removed the wheel a small stone fell out.
I don't run backing plates on mine but have opened the two vents in the SS;s nose and ducted to the area in front of the vented discs.
SSP, Bigboyztoys and VW Heratige, etc are expensive compared to US sellers on Ebay such as ragtop53, pimppride etc even with shipping costs you can save a bundle. Go onto ebay.com not ebay.co.uk when searching though.