PDA

View Full Version : Power steering cooling pipe

Alzax3
02-01-2009, 06:47 PM
My daily driver 97 Vauxhall Corsa 1.5 turbo diesel is grounded as the badly designed short piece of finned steel pipe intended to cool the power steering has rusted through..........I would just go and buy a new one, except Vauxhall want more than 120 for it :shock: :shock: :shock: I'm quite tempted to make a new one from copper with brass ends, (except the threads are bound to be unified chinese norwegian coarsely fine reversed cheese :confused1: ) - but if anybody knows of one in a scrappy or anywhere else I need one yesterday!

ant
02-01-2009, 08:54 PM
Hi Alex

Orchards scrappy has re-opened so it may be worth a gander!

cheers

Ant

Alzax3
02-01-2009, 09:06 PM
Oh b****r I was at Drew's yard next door today, and didn't bother to look at Orchards since they'd stopped breaking cars - so you're saying they've started again?

Alzax3
03-01-2009, 11:37 AM
I've just spoken to the Vauxhall parts people again and it seems they've made a mistake - this just-over-two-foot pipe with fins on 8 inches of it actually costs over 220 plus vat.... that's over 250!!!! I can't believe what an unneccessary ripoff some spares are. Definite cash prize waiting to anybody who stumbles over one!

Peter
03-01-2009, 12:19 PM
For a lot less money and you would improve on the design with a small oil cooler, AN fittings and stainless braided pipes.

MicksRedNova
03-01-2009, 11:27 PM
I'm quite tempted to make a new one from copper with brass ends, (except the threads are bound to be unified chinese norwegian coarsely fine reversed cheese :confused1: ) - but if anybody knows of one in a scrappy or anywhere else I need one yesterday!

Alex

I have replaced the power steering cooler on 2 cars now using 10mm microbore copper pipe. It comes in 10 metre lengths so I've got enough to do about another 8 cars worth - and it only cost 15 from B&Q. The Lexus that you've seen me in at the shows was the first one I did, based on some info from a Lexus forum. The price of a bit of bent steel pipe from the Lexus dealer made my eyes water :shock:. The ends on the two I've done didn't have threads, just a collar and jubilee clips to connect to the rubber hoses. I made the collar from a cut-down straight joint. The whole job only took an hour and that was 18 months ago.

Mick

bobbybrown
04-01-2009, 12:39 AM
Alex,
the pipe you want is a common item to rust badly and end up with holes on the corsa.
I have replaced a few of these myself in the past, all of which were beyond any kind of reasonable repair.

I have asked a few people I know and I got the same answer from all of them, you'll be lucky to find one in any useable condition, get making!

Ben
04-01-2009, 02:54 AM
Hiya Alzax3

Just three golden rules in club Nova. :cool1: If you can't buy it you have to blag it from another club member or you have to make it yourself :wink:
Your daily driver 97 Vauxhall Corsa 1.5 turbo diesel in GM rules is good for 7 years then you need to buy a NEW one. I sound like Mr J Clarkson? but you have got your old moggy van as a rear support Now I sound like Mr J May? or you could make the part you need your self Now that is so Mr R Hamond? All of the TOP GEAR lot all in there some where. :rofl:

Ben

Alzax3
04-01-2009, 11:34 AM
Thanks all - I've been considering the 10mm copper pipe trick Mick, as I have a roll of it left over from the last central heating I installed - I was just mulling over whether it would take the pressure (apparently up to 100bar if the internet is to be believed - though that would be 1045.3psi - sounds a bit on the steep side to me!) (mind you, whatever the pressure, it'd take it better than the present Swiss-cheese rusty steel........) I've found that the thread is 5/8 UNF (the first guess was right with the 'unified' bit!) , I have a second cut tap in that size, sadly not a bottoming one - though you can get a set of three off fleabay for less than 10 - or a 'proper' one for 35. I can even press out a lot of copper discs and fit them as fins, so unless someone does turn up a servicable item I think I know what I'll be doing in the shed for a bit! Ooooh errrr missus.....

Alzax3
08-01-2009, 09:20 AM
Had a very lucky find at another scrappy - Tigras have an identical pipe but without the instantly rust-away steel fins (since they expand together and become a solid mass, they can't really act s fins anyway) - few patches of surface rust but only 3..... RESULT! :D :D :D :D :D :D

Now I've just got to go and get very cold out in the yard fitting it........ :whistling:

bobbybrown
08-01-2009, 09:47 AM
Excellent.
I had to repair a citroen c3 on Tuesday and I fitted a shock and spring to a laguna yesterday, be a man and brave the cold!! :laugh:

Alzax3
08-01-2009, 06:24 PM
All done and working thanks (and it was kind enough to warm up today - about 5 degrees instead of -2!) wirebrushed it and gave it a coat of black rustoleum, so hopefully it will last a few years, took much more time scraping off all the rust and repainting the bits of car revealed by taking the front bumper off :blushing: