PDA

View Full Version : The Cannonball Run

Alzax3
20-01-2009, 07:05 PM
Right - we've just sat through The Cannonball Run (the version with Farrah Fawcett, Roger Moore and Burt Reynolds) and saw no sign of a Sterling. (Quite enjoyed the movie, it was a bit like the village pantomime with cars..... :D ) Sooooo - were we being dimwitted, or is it Cannonball II or one of the other sequels we should have seen?

letterman7
20-01-2009, 07:14 PM
Cannonball 2 and, of course, the original Deathrace 2000. Best thing(s) about CB1 was the Lambo taking off in the beginning of the show and various appendages hanging out of jumpsuits.

Alzax3
20-01-2009, 07:20 PM
Thanks Rick - agreed on Lambo and appendages, plus all the actors taking the p**s out of their real roles. Having checked out IMDB and discovered that Farrah Fawcett is 60 and got over very nasty cancer was a bit of a shock too - I guess she'd stayed stuck at the 'Charlies Angels' age in my head.....

So Cannonball 2 is the one to look out for..... (Deathrace I know about thanks!)

Spacenut
20-01-2009, 09:19 PM
I've just finished reading Brock Yates "Cannonball!" and although a Sterling never competed in the five original "there's only one rule - there are no rules" races ('71, '71, '72, '75 and '79), a Bradley GT did participate in the 1972 race, finishing a creditable 18th place at an average speed of 66.7mph... and that's from New York to Los Angeles non-stop (ouch!)

In spite of Yates writing the script for the movie (originally with Steve McQueen as the lead), he states that the script was hijacked by Burt Reynolds and was deeply disappointed by the result. This was after seeing both the Gumball Rally and Cannonball hit the screens in '75. The '79 running was intended to provide storylines for the movie, but only the Ambulance scam was new - the vicars, girls in sexy jumpsuits and the Ferrari Daytona (driven by no less than Dan Gurney) had done it all before :D

Autumn '71 and '72 were my favourites (love the Cannonball Challenger).

Lauren

jmd
04-02-2009, 03:12 AM
but wait... what about this?

http://www.sterlingsportscars.com/index/Gallery_page_2/IMAG029.JPG
http://www.sterlingsportscars.com/index/Gallery_page_2/IMAG030.JPG
http://www.sterlingsportscars.com/index/Gallery_page_2/IMAG001.JPG

I wonder whose this is and what the story is... I love the blacked out "A" pillars (windscreen side supports)...

Spacenut
04-02-2009, 12:33 PM
Hmm - I think I agree with you on the A-pillar blackouts. Have to try that with some black tape on Green Machine to see if I like it!

Wasn't this green Sterling acquired by one of our regulars? Pog? thestevie?

I can only assume that it wasn't an official Cannonball entry as there is no mention of a Sterling in the entry lists. The Cannonball symbol of the road running into the setting sun was drafted by Yates himself but wasn't adopted as the official symbol until the 1975 running - which I guess is about right for this car. There was only one other "no holds barred" race in 1979, the only other events been the "One Lap of America" (two events I think) and one (possibly two) Cannonball rallies held in the late 90s. I don't know what the entry list was for those events.

Perhaps out Sterling owner was just sympathetic to the cause - can you imagine spending 44 hours or more in a Sterling cockpit???

Lauren

vpogv
04-02-2009, 01:19 PM
Yup, you are correct Lauren. I looked at it but picked up another, then thestevie snatched it up soon after.

jmd
04-02-2009, 01:44 PM
Actually Lauren I can having originally gotten my car in L.A. to then drive it up to S.F. over to Las Vegas and then up to utah over the course of about 3 days... it was awesome and I would do it again in a heartbeat!!! best time ever!

Now if only I could get this damn transmission issue sorted.

thestevie
04-02-2009, 04:48 PM
that is my baby

i was told that the car was made for the movie
thats what the last ower said.

i know the one in the movie was yellow
under that green there its yellow

i dont have the windsheild anymore but i think my friend kept the sticker.
ill email him about it

Spacenut
04-02-2009, 06:26 PM
So your car could be the actual Sterling used in the movie? Kewl :cool1:

I only mentioned that 44 straight hours could be an issue after reading some of the comments on the Bradley forum. Obviously Sterling drivers are made of sterner stuff :D

I certainly wouldn't mind doing a transcontinental dash in Green Machine, although I would have use ear plugs...

I think I read somewhere that the Cannonball Sterling had a Corvair engine conversion - any suggestion that such an engine was under your hood, thestevie?

So now all we need to do is track down the Condorman "Condorcar", the Deathrace 2000 Sterling and that's all the cars movie appearances sewn up :D

Lauren

thestevie
04-02-2009, 07:30 PM
i dont have any info on what was in the car.
im pretty sure its not a corvai engine in it now.
i sent an email to my friend asking if he could get any more info on it
we will see what comes up

letterman7
04-02-2009, 09:48 PM
Sorry to disappoint, Ken, but that car was not the one used in the movie. It may have participated in the race at one point, that's about it. The movie car had the later flat dashboard, but I can't confirm the 'Vair engine swap.

thestevie
05-02-2009, 12:28 AM
thats what i said when i was first told.
he guy kept saying that it wasnt the one in the movie but it was made for it.

letterman7
05-02-2009, 03:14 AM
:wink: Anything's possible. Movie cars, even back-ups, tend to have short lives. The movie was released in '84, so figure at least a four year pre-production setup. Your car's serial number puts it smack in the middle of 1978 from the Midwest manufacturing plant, and as far as I can tell never left the general area. Is it possible that it made it's way to the west coast and then back again...sure. But the only way to verify that is to track the title records from the DMV.

Nic
05-02-2009, 06:00 PM
Sorry to hi-jack... Rick, do you have a listing or something that shows what year the body was made? Any idea when 416 would have been born?

letterman7
05-02-2009, 08:44 PM
I've kinda extrapolated the years based on the serial numbers. 416 would have been mid year '75 (ish..). Midwest Component Cars usually started with a "B" or "S" designation; if they weren't stamped with those prefixes, the data plate would have Midwest Component and usually a low number. They only made 100 or less bodies there.