PDA

View Full Version : Beautiful Bonito

Simpatico
07-02-2009, 08:30 PM
I've always thought Alex's Ugliest Kitcar section was a bit like shooting fish in a barrel, I mean many are pretty foul which is probably why most people plump for replicars instead of something original. Beauty is obviously in the eye of the beholder, but how about posting some visual treats for a change? For instance take a look at this Bonito, which I always admired for taking some GT40 glamour and turning into a useable 2+2.

The garage is worth keeping an eye on incidentally, Swiss cars are presented to the highest standards, and the owner has a keen eye so there is always a mouthwatering selection of unusual classics.

http://www.bahmancars.ch/

http://www.bahmancars.ch/autos/bonito.htm

http://www.bahmancars.ch/photos/bonito2.JPG

ant
08-02-2009, 02:25 PM
Hi

Thats not a bad idea, maybe Alex could start a "Alex's beautiful kit car thread" as there are lots of interesting car's that Lauren and Alex know about but people like myself are ignorant of.

Cheers

Ant

bobbybrown
08-02-2009, 02:34 PM
You speak, we listen.

I've created the forum you mentioned, and moved this topic to it to start it off.

Spacenut
08-02-2009, 05:42 PM
Hmm. Beautiful, originally styled kit cars... tricky. Clearly the Nova gets a look in, the Avante as well. Original Marcos GT - Custoka Strato (although it attempts to copy the Bertone Marzal concept), Adams Probe 2001, Voodoo (even if there was only 3 built), Heron Europa, Falcon 515, Rochdale Olympic, Cox GTM, Ginetta G4... I'm running out of ideas... Oh - how about the Kellison coupe?

All the other stuff I like is a little bit Leftfield to be considered beautiful, like the Futura and the Marcos Mantis XP racer - or maybe even the Marcos Mantis in a funny kind of way... :D

I have a look for some pictures...

Nice idea Mark - seeing really beautiful kit cars can only serve as an inspiration to all of us!

Lauren

thestevie
08-02-2009, 06:01 PM
i like the cheeta kit
one of the best looking cars out there
well besides the sterling and older Zs

Alzax3
08-02-2009, 09:14 PM
Great Idea! Though possibly a bit limited as Lauren has instantly come up with all the best ones already!

Anyone who proposes the Koon Nova abomination to go in this section will not be taken seriously again, ever!

JemP
09-02-2009, 05:04 PM
Yes, the problem with trying to find lots of beauties in the kitcar world is that, for every nice design, a design that actually works, there are probably 20 or 30 that just don't! and when they don't they really don't!! And also all the best designs will either have already been thought of by the car industry and used, or cast aside, and most of the nicest kitcars lend their styling to these cars anyway.
The Nova is not just a car, its a design classic, and there arent even many production cars that can claim that. I like the Bonito, always have done, nice lines that work. I also love Spartans and will build another one some day. I have to say that I don't see much out there in kitcar world to rival the Nova or the Avante in the sheer beauty. I walk around Stoneleigh and a lot of whats out there is very very boring.
Now wheres that barrel??

Spacenut
09-02-2009, 08:38 PM
The garage is worth keeping an eye on incidentally, Swiss cars are presented to the highest standards, and the owner has a keen eye so there is always a mouthwatering selection of unusual classics.

Hmmm - Swiss kit car classics... How about the Enzmann coupe?

Just another one to add to the list :D

Lauren

Spacenut
09-02-2009, 09:54 PM
I forgot the moderns! Here are some of my faves...

Deltayn Pegasus (massive Richard Oakes styling, based on a failed submission for the Virage-era Aston Martin)
Quantum H4 (not bad for a "normal" car)
Minari Club Sport (the later Series 2 is very neatly styled)
Adams Rotrax (Cortina original was a bit silly, but brutal off road style, and Dakar 4x4 is well cool)

And the neo-classics!

Adams Roadster
AF Sports (Goth rocker Dave Pepper's achingly beautiful 30s style roadster)

I really must Google up some pictures of this stuff. I will get round to it...

Lauren

Simpatico
09-02-2009, 11:56 PM
Nice to see a few people interested, like you say it could be inspiration for those stuck with a garage full of bits.

I know out-of- the-box brilliance is rare amongst kitcars, when I was thinking this over I wanted to include pictures of cars which may not be intrinsically beautiful, but by sheer vision their owners had turned into something that made you go "wow". For example the Clan Crusader is not everyones cup of tea (love it personally but you know what I mean) but there is an Edam-orange example that's on the circuit with black minilites that even my missus said she would drive without a bag on her head....and that's a compliment. Others were perhaps a bit shocking at the time, but hindsight improves their lot, you know the sort of thing.

Spacenut
10-02-2009, 12:12 PM
I agree - the Clan Crusader was a brilliant design, but not necessarily the best looking. It was the only car to achieve homologation for rallying without having to fit a roll cage, because the fibreglass monocoque was strong enough already.

I think I have seen the tangerine with black Minilites before. Nice car.

The Clan Clover was another variation on the theme, but a less harmonious design, combined with poor quality, made it less attractive... to everyone :D

The Mini Minus was another favourite, a chopped, de-seamed Mini using rust-free fibreglass to make the monocoque... just brilliant. Not originally styled though.

Then there was the Nimbus coupe, a whole rash of Raffos... I think the kit car industry as a whole has always had better engineering credentials than styling ability, and it often shows :(

Lauren

ant
12-02-2009, 11:29 PM
Cool

Thanks, looking forward to finding out about lots of interesting cars.

Hoooray etc

Cheers

Ant