PDA

View Full Version : Voodoo (it's a kind of magic...)

Spacenut
09-02-2009, 10:21 PM
Only three were ever made - designed by two ex-Chrysler Europe stylists, and powered by the Hillman Imp, the project faltered after one of the designers was tragically killed in a road accident. Ultra lightweight, there were no doors, entry was via forward hinged canopy.

The current owner of the moulds has talked about a mid-mounted Alfasud drivetrain, but nothing seems to have come of it so far. Beautiful car? I think so :D

http://www.imps4ever.info/specials/voodoo/voodoo_front_gw.jpg

http://www.imps4ever.info/specials/voodoo/voodoo_rear_gw.jpg

More mouthwatering beauties to come!

Lauren

letterman7
09-02-2009, 10:40 PM
Kinda has that Stratos thing going for it. Don't like the taillights, though. They seem completely out of place.

Simpatico
09-02-2009, 11:46 PM
Fabulous design, one of my all time faves. Shame the owner has done nothing more with it (doesn't return phone calls either despite being initially chatty). I think he has 2, the one I was keeping tabs on in Bristol ended up in Germany allegedly.

CyCo
10-02-2009, 10:12 AM
Kinda has that Stratos thing going for it. Don't like the taillights, though. They seem completely out of place.

I was thinking Stratos meets Manta. That's sex on wheels right there.

:wink:

Spacenut
10-02-2009, 01:01 PM
Fabulous design, one of my all time faves. Shame the owner has done nothing more with it (doesn't return phone calls either despite being initially chatty). I think he has 2, the one I was keeping tabs on in Bristol ended up in Germany allegedly.

You've seen the website I'm sure

http://www.voodoosportscars.com/menu.htm

One of the AROC members has both a prize-winning 101 Giulia Spider and a rather ratty Pelland coupe, and he knows the proprieter through the latter. Voodoo Sports Cars run a very tidy Pelland on hillclimb events - its bright red with an air intake fashioned in the nose, in the style of the later Square One Kudos cars. Mr Guilia Spider said he might be able to arrange an introduction as Mr Voodoo was intent on re-engineering the car for an Alfasud mid-mount, but its all gone very quiet...

Apparently the Voodoo used that classic hot-rodders front suspension solution, a Vauxhall Viva HA front subframe (presumably with coilovers instead of the transverse leaf spring). I used to have an HA - underrated in many ways, although its rust reputation is fully justified!

Lauren

JemP
10-02-2009, 04:07 PM
Looks kind of Avante'ish!! I liked it until I went on the website and saw those two guys sat on it. Its so small!!!

ant
12-02-2009, 11:25 PM
Very cool and groovy

I like it

Lots
And glad that the beautiful kit car thread is go!

cheers

Ant

Simpatico
14-06-2009, 10:12 AM
Just an update with another article on this gorgeous car. I scanned this from (Laurens favourite journo) Richard Heseltine's book on alternative sports cars;

suicidesam
14-06-2009, 10:57 AM
Just an update with another article on this gorgeous car. I scanned this from (Laurens favourite journo) Richard Heseltine's book on alternative sports cars;

Just a side note Richard Heseltine is my other half's cousin !! :tongue:

Spacenut
15-06-2009, 12:02 PM
That's still no excuse for not knowing that the Lamborghini Espada used an in-house gearbox, not one from ZF...

...Or for saying that my technical articles gave him a headache the size of Sedgeley :confused1:

How big is Sedgeley, exactly?

Lauren

suicidesam
15-06-2009, 12:29 PM
:laugh: Sedgley is not very big at all really but its got about 7 pubs in about a 500 yard radius so you can get a huge headache there on a sunday morning after a saturday night out ... (i live about 1/2 mile from there ) :wink:

Spacenut
16-06-2009, 07:29 AM
I'd just like to make it clear that I have never said anything defamatory about Mr Heseltine in any public forum :whistling:

I just love the shape of the Voodoo. Chevron B16 windscreen is a great choice. I can't believe that Lee Noble chose to make a unique, and unfortunately uglier screen for the Ultima, which in spite of the changes to the bodywork over the years has remained exactly the same!

Just imagine what an Ultima Mk1 would have looked like with the Chevron screen - jaw-dropping, that's what :notworthy:

Thanks for scanning the article Mark - I've not seen that picture of Voodoo before. Front three-quarter overhead view looks awesome!

Was the car really a steel spaceframe with a bonded on body? I read elsewhere that it was a full FG monocoque, but perhaps that was just wishful thinking. The car was certainly light enough to get away without a steel chassis...

Lauren

Simpatico
17-06-2009, 12:01 PM
I could never work out how anyone would get in as old photos seemed to show tiny doors, but seem to recall finding out the whole canopy tipped forward a'la GP Centron/Panache/Scarabeo type of thing

CyCo
18-06-2009, 06:21 AM
I could never work out how anyone would get in as old photos seemed to show tiny doors, but seem to recall finding out the whole canopy tipped forward a'la GP Centron/Panache/Scarabeo type of thing

Reread the scanned article above, about 2 lines above the photo.

:D

Spacenut
18-06-2009, 11:06 AM
That's correct - but I've never seen a picture of the car with the canopy open. Curious really - with most public interest focussed on the novel method of entry, its more unusual to find a picture of a Nova with the canopy closed :D

Lauren

Alzax3
18-06-2009, 06:34 PM
And I've seen it at shows since 1981, but never 'opened up' - perhaps the entry solutions aren't as elegant as the cars shape? :whistling:

CyCo
19-06-2009, 02:16 AM
You know what they say, exotic shape, awkward entry. Not always true, but mostly.

:wink:

jmd
23-07-2009, 11:56 PM
I totally love the lines of this car, and agree with the noble statement.

Thanks for sharing the super awesome photos that everyone is posting!!!

:kewlpics:

Spacenut
24-07-2009, 07:24 AM
Its true to say that there are some "diamonds in the rough" out there. This whole thread is essentially a critique of amateur vehicle styling - little or no formal training, just the confidence to produce a car that stands out above the humdrum. In fact, the direct antithesis of the 7even.

I think it is this lack of formal design training that makes such cars memorable. Richard Oakes studied vehicle design under Ford sponsorship from the mid-'70s, and although everything he has done since has been very worthy (Midas Bronze/Gold, Dutton Melos/Sierra, GTM Rossa, Deltayn Pegasus etc.), I feel his designs lost that element of outrageousness which is key to the appeal of the Nova.

Some designs just don't work (the burgeoning list in Alex's Uglies thread is proof of that), but I think we would be a lot worse off without "Amateur Hour" :D

Lauren

JemP
24-07-2009, 01:45 PM
too true! of course the Avante designer Melvyn Kay also had no formal training in car design, not sure he had any informal training either, but he produced one hell of a design for the Clewlows to build!!