PDA

View Full Version : Ready or Not

bushboy
21-03-2009, 10:32 AM
Well, like it says at the top

ready or not I have booked an MOT for Wednesday 1st April. :scared:

Insurance has been arranged and just the gauges to refit, rear window tunnel to fit & the high beam LED to replace.

Where is the fingers crossed emicon??

bushboy

bobbybrown
21-03-2009, 10:40 AM
Now a part of the forum for you bushyboy http://s239.photobucket.com/albums/ff172/vanashbrenique/th_fingers-crossed-emoticon.gif
Good luck!!

CyCo
21-03-2009, 11:44 AM
Was going to make a joke about getting it MOT'ed on April 1st, but I'm too tired.

Good luck BushBoy.

:D

Alzax3
21-03-2009, 07:59 PM
Ditto, but surely you'll decide to change the engine again between then and now? :whistling:

jimcub
21-03-2009, 08:18 PM
why stop at just the engine :tongue:

bobbybrown
21-03-2009, 09:19 PM
He'll change the head lights too, and the fuel tank design :crylol:

bushboy
21-03-2009, 10:10 PM
Well.........to be honest with you all I am currently working on changing the roof control switches and heater switch, just because I don't like their current format and position, and while I'm at it I'm also repositioning the temp & oil pressure gauges :nonono: :nonono: :nonono:

They all work in their current positions but they have been ther for almost 3 months now & just need to move...................

bushboy,

engine mmmm may be a flat four air cooled donk :confused1: :confused1:

Spacenut
22-03-2009, 07:23 PM
Good luck BB - its been a long time coming, but it will be worth the wait :clapping:

MicksRedNova
23-03-2009, 11:54 AM
I have booked an MOT for Wednesday 1st April. :scared:

I beat you to it by a few days. Hope you have as much luck as me.

Mine passed no problem (after the friendly MOT man adjusted the lights and tightened the track-rod ends :oops2: ) which I had forgotten to do. He was most complimentary about the rest of the mechanicals, the only advisory is on the steering box which has a bit of play. So a result.

Mick

Kym
23-03-2009, 12:52 PM
Good luck Martin :thumbup:

Big Birds Car
23-03-2009, 01:59 PM
Well, like it says at the top

BB Does this mean that it has never been registered over here and that you have to do the SVA test before it can be registered? If so then I bet that canopy will be off as quick as anything :crylol:

Good Luck on the mot.

bushboy
23-03-2009, 08:25 PM
Big Bird,
No never MOT'ed in this country except as a VW beetle. SVA is N/A as it is a re bodied existing chassis. I have previously changed the engine number, capacity and colour so they all match other than the body type, currently says saloon!.
A friend that has mot'ed some altered cars told me which MOT man to go to that is "sympathetic to the cause".
But if it does need an SVA then yep off with the top and add on an aero screen!!

bushboy

Big Birds Car
23-03-2009, 09:00 PM
No need for the aero screen, the Jesters screen has been removed for the test and that also negates the need for washers and wipers. Once through on goes the screen etc. Good luck, hope it doesn't come to that.

NovaNigel
23-03-2009, 09:20 PM
Fingers crossed for you on the 1st

Nigel :crossfinger:

MicksRedNova
24-03-2009, 01:05 AM
Big Bird, No never MOT'ed in this country except as a VW beetle.

Mine was also in this category too. I changed the colour, seating from 4 to 2 and body type to Coupe, when I bought the chassis by sending the V5 off to DVLA. The only thing left was to get the Taxation Class changed to 'Historic Vehicle' ('cos it's older than 1973) which I did today, at my local licencing office straight after the MOT. Took about 5 minutes and I walked out with a Tax Disc which says "Cost = NIL" which is my favourite tax value. :clapping:

Mick

bushboy
24-03-2009, 11:04 PM
Fortunately Mick,

My V5C already says Historic in the tax code.

One week to go & tonight I pulled the dashboard out.....again :nonono: :nonono:

Roll on the week end.

bushboy

bushboy
01-04-2009, 10:01 AM
Where do I begin.
Last night I was frantically making sure that all was inorder. I had fashioned a couple of engine lid stays and was having difficulty figuring out how to hold them in place when the engine cover is down. A couple of temporary clamps (plastic ones) have come to the rescue. Found the missing wheel nuts, secured the bonnet, attached the front number plate, and checked the lights for the 100th time. Then tried to get a good nights sleep.

This morning it was time to give it a quick dust off, clean the windscreen, and put some fuel in it.

Then the first long drive to the MOT test station. Stopped half way out the gate & tightened up the steering wheel that I left loose so I could center it.

Off I went again and clocked up 2.8 miles. I'm not sure if the speedo is calibrated correctly so just kept up with the rest of the traffic.

When I pulled up the MOT man said what the fornication is that? :confused1:

I tried to explain as best I could & he said OK stick it on the ramp. So I stuck it on the ramp.

Test the lights first then up it went. Out came the torch & a thourough inspection was made. He started to point out a few things that I need to fix :nonono: . Load spreading washers on the seat mounts :nonono: , lock nuts on the seat mounts :nonono: & cut off the excess threads :nonono: . He also pointed out the low mounting of the front brake pipe & advised that I should change it as it could get caught on something & ripped off.

Next was the wheel wobbling and close inspection of the brakes. He said that as it all looked new he would not do the brake balance as it may bottom out. I had to drive over the rollers to get to the ramp so go figure! I was not arguing however. He dropped it back on its wheels and asked for 45. As he handed me the MOT certificate he said make sure you set those washer on the seats.

So It PASSED :clapping: :groupwave: :clapping:

I've went staight from there to get the TAX, and that was the sweetest of all as it cost me NIL.

Detling is now a very strong possibility, Stones is a must & I've now clocked up 10 miles.

I am so happy

Bushboy

bobbybrown
01-04-2009, 10:21 AM
THE DAY HAS COME!

It had to eventually :crylol:
Well done Martin, now stop changing it and enjoy it for a while :wink:

Big Birds Car
01-04-2009, 10:59 AM
:happybday: Well it must feel like it after all these years. Well done and as Dan said, Go enjoy it. Only fettle little bits, if you find something that annoys you wait till after the summer and do it during the winter.

CyCo
01-04-2009, 12:26 PM
That's awesome Martin, awesome! Fix just those points the MOT man mentioned and nothing else. Go enjoy your machine!

:clapping:

bobbybrown
01-04-2009, 12:55 PM
Fix just those points the MOT man mentioned and nothing else.
:crylol:
Sorry, but thats not going to happen is it, we are talking about Bushy after all :bleh:
Dash will be out in a few hours and it will have a new set of rear lights next week :laugh:

jim73vw
01-04-2009, 06:58 PM
Great news - well done,

and sounds like simple advisory points to sort,

Could be quite a crowd at Detling !

Alzax3
01-04-2009, 07:33 PM
Yay Bushboy!! That's the way to do it!!

Ben
01-04-2009, 08:06 PM
Hiya bushboy

A f###ing good job well done and a MOT :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :groupwave:
I am fighting my own proplems well done you. :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Ben

essexdave
01-04-2009, 08:55 PM
YAYYYYY........ Well done Martin, the uk mob finally have roadgoing "reek".
If your going to make Detling let me know , i'll try to meet you somewhere on the way.
Still have some Makrolon if you want it.... freebie..... I want to pick your brains again.
Well done mate. :clapping: :thumbup:

MicksRedNova
01-04-2009, 09:24 PM
Top Job Martin :clapping:

The more the merrier - soon we could have us a CONVOY. I was out in mine again this evening after tuning the engine, adjusting the clutch cable and re-positioning the rear view mirror, I have now notched up 32 miles since MoT - and still nothing has dropped off :laugh:

Mick

Dirk
01-04-2009, 10:53 PM
Well Done,

Last time I saw it was about 3 years ago! it has done some traveling in its life (I wonder if any could beat it road leagal?) looking forward to seeing it this summer

Dirk

bushboy
01-04-2009, 11:08 PM
Thanks for all the congrats boys & girls.

The moral of this story is

NEVER GIVE UP & NEVER SAY NEVER

Looking forward to this years meets.

bushboy

CyCo
02-04-2009, 01:24 AM
Fix just those points the MOT man mentioned and nothing else.
:crylol:
Sorry, but thats not going to happen is it, we are talking about Bushy after all :bleh:
Dash will be out in a few hours and it will have a new set of rear lights next week :laugh:

Oh, I've kinda worked that out. Still, he should wait awhile before he does anything serious too it. At least in my books.

:laugh:

jimcub
02-04-2009, 11:22 PM
Wheels at last and it was worth it all that slog wasn't it, well done BB :cheers: