PDA

View Full Version : Registering special construction in Italy

letterman7
25-03-2009, 11:39 AM
Hi folks,
I just received this email today, and thought maybe some of you might have a few ideas you could email this guy. Didn't we also have an Italian owner here on the boards?

Hi sirs,

my name i sLuigi Sparano Ö Iím thinking about building a kit using a V8 (Rover or Pontiac) and a Porsche gearbox, basing the kit on a tube chassis just like the one from Sterling component car.

Now the problem is that in Italy doing that is illegal, y0u need to do this in a country (just like US) where is possible, but the only one way to gain the Italian plate is to have an American company that certifies the technical specification.

In other words I need a certificate of the original technical specifications to be presented to our notified body.

Have you any suggestions for me?

Thank you very much

Best regards

Luigi Sparano

If anyone has any ideas, please email Luigi at l.sparano@radim.it
I also encouraged him to join here on the forum to ask questions on registration and build. I really can't help from the US side, as Sterling Sports Cars doesn't have "specifications" and isn't required to have them by law, only what is required state to state for individual registration (lights, mirrors, bumpers, etc.)
Thanks all!

Big Birds Car
25-03-2009, 12:34 PM
I've just been for the SVA test (now changing to IVA) and the guy doing the testing said that the only way for an old kit to be correctly registered in another european country is to get it through the test in the UK and register the kit within the uk and then when you go to say Spain or France etc. you would be able to register it there locally. Appartently we are one of the few countries that does a test that is accepted european wide.

He also told me that if in the future you want to do a personal import of an american car to the UK or Europe then loads of bits will need to be replaced such as the fuel tank, if it is a plastic one, and the mirrors. He says that they already know that for example one fuel tank will be made out of steel, (acceptable) fitted to the car, go through the test which it will pass and once done the original tank will be put back and the fabricated one will be sold or loaned to the next car. This is all because the US parts will not be "E" marked therefore according to the european governing idiots it is not acceptable.

jimcub
25-03-2009, 12:46 PM
I have had cars before with aftermarket lights etc, no one at any of the MOT garages has every checked or has any failed because of these items.

Big Birds Car
25-03-2009, 02:18 PM
That will be because at the MOT they don't really mind so long as they work and the vehicle is registered correctly. The SVA test is a totally different kettle of fish and until you have seen first hand how petty they can be you really have no idea.
I know of one car to be failed because the rear fog light was 240mm from the ground and not 250mm as it states in the rules (he built the car on one set of wheels but changed the tyres to a lower profile when it went for the test and didn't think). Even the old smith's gauges with the chrome ring around them is a fail unless you sink them into the dash so the ring is flush. There are so many things that is why there are people making a business out of doing them and why they produce a book to get you through it.
A Nova would fail big time, however I also realise that with reading the rule book you can get around most of the Nova's issues but it would take a minimum of two attempts and alot of items would need to be removed just for the test and then when through they would all be put back on again and it would be legal.

Spacenut
25-03-2009, 10:21 PM
It sounds like the Italian authorities will accept a written statement from an American manufacturer that the vehicle presented to them is in accordance with that manufacturers basic specification. A tall order for a car built to a custom specification. Unless the Sterling was built up with an approved engine/gearbox combination (like 7even clones are), then all bets would be off. So maybe the best bet would be to get the car through IVA here and then export to Italy and register it locally...

BBC is absolutely right about the SVA/IVA though - it is so complex and petty that only the most conformist of cobra/7even clones will get through. I understand the new test is around £600 now because of all the additional safety checks required.

I heard about the SVA non-compliance of the classic Smiths dial bezel. Its the same pathetic nanny state ethic that forces you to fit a rear view mirror with a large radius plastic surround, and new exterior rear view mirrors and rubber bootees over all the steering and suspension parts so you don't injure pedestrians when you run them over... :annoyed:

Our man in Italy obviously wants to do the right thing, but it looks like it would be a very expensive exercise - Sterling kit from the US, build-up in Europe, IVA in the UK, export to Italy... :ermm:

Lauren

Nic
25-03-2009, 10:50 PM
when you run them over... :annoyed:

WHEN? Not if? :rofl:

jimcub
26-03-2009, 12:21 AM
With so many blind pots on a Nova it is when.

So a built car does a SVA test, who checks the c**p turned out every day by the big boys. Some of there's will never pass ( actually some only get out of the gates before breakin down ) an MOT never mind any other test, or is it $ win.

Peter
26-03-2009, 01:24 PM
One way is to go the "granddad's pipe" route, it's had 6 bowles and 3 stems but it's still "granded's old pipe". get a registered Stirling/Nova and without altering anything, change to Italian plates which is easy. Later, change engine, no problem so far. Then change chassis and don't tell anyone, as long at has the same number is properly stamped on it, next years tester will be so blown away by the car he woun't know it's supposed to have a VW beetle chassis anyway.

As far as the new IVA in the UK goes, I think it's the kiss of death for anything other than a Cobra or 7 clone, which is going to make thing very boring and very, very expensive by Stoneliegh 2012, if not sooner but as least it should push the price of older road going cars up that don't need a SVA/IVA.

Maybe one route for the powers that be is to have two classes for kit builds, 'show' and 'go', the higher IVA for cars that are built with performance in mind like race day cars, V8 Cobras, etc and one much les ridged test for cars with a top end of say 90mph but built more for fun and show which would be banned from any compertitions.