PDA

View Full Version : The Driving Experience

bushboy
01-04-2009, 11:06 PM
Well after 16 long years my reek has finally turned its first legal wheel on the road under its own steam. How chuffed am I? Words can not describe. I have now covered 10.6 miles, not that I'm counting mind you, and every time I've got behind the wheel I feel more at home.

I was scared that I would be disappointed and that the last 16 years were a waste of time. I'm pleased to report that they weren't.

Turn the key and all the little lights on the dashboard light up, turn it a little more & the 2.5L V6 sitting behind you roars to life. Depress the clutch & slide the box into first. The car pulls away very easily from idle as you release the pressure on the clutch. A little throttle and you're underway. Forget about checking the rearview mirror as your can't see a thing past the engine.

Select second and give her a generous amount of throttle & the rear bags loose their hold on terra firma. This is not a lady to cross. The bark from the exhaust is wonderful to hear & you are soon having to brake hard for the speed bump.

The steering is heavy at low speeds but has a good feel at speed. You know you are pressing the brake pedal when it's time to stop. I've not done any fast cornering yet but going around the roundabout was a nice feeling.

So over all I'm happy as a pig in sh12.

Cant wait for my next drive.

Bushboy

letterman7
02-04-2009, 12:09 AM
:clapping: Fun, ain't it?

Alzax3
02-04-2009, 07:36 AM
Sure is! If you can't get to a skid pan, it might be worth experimenting on some short wet grass in a large field to get a feel of how she behaves without damaging anything - I was driving my 411 powered one out of Newark show with one side on the concrete and the other on the grass, booted it to follow a D****n Ph****n and did three very neat 360 revolutions out over the grass (which surprised the Hustler driver behind me!) You've got a lot more weight behind you than that old 1700 (and a lot more balance weight in front too), but it gets pretty intense amazingly quickly when the rear decides it needs to be in front!

CyCo
02-04-2009, 12:11 PM
Mines a little heavy steering at slow speeds, but that could also be due to the 8" tires up front. lol But to be sure, it gets better at speed. And you should have a go on a skid pan, it was a blast last year!!

:thumbup: :wink: :cool1:

vpogv
02-04-2009, 12:42 PM
Nice work bushboy! :drive: It is posts like these that keep us, the ones with our cars in pieces, motivated.

islandman
02-04-2009, 02:35 PM
Great job, well done! :clapping:

I highly recommend you find an open car park in the wet and put down full power on a turn, its better to discover the beast in a safe environment. My last 360 was doing a right turn in the wet with an 18 wheeler bearing down on me in the opposite lane...not funny!

Kym
02-04-2009, 03:19 PM
Well done mate :thumbup:

Nic
02-04-2009, 05:05 PM
That's great to hear! Can't wait until Im there.

jimcub
02-04-2009, 05:41 PM
Will be a treat to see all your work at Stones, just don't start the ripping out again or your fun days will be limited. Just those nice to have's and saftey bits, also any other bits that keep you behind the wheel until bathchair years :bleh:

Just well done :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :groupwave: :groupwave: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

Spacenut
02-04-2009, 09:29 PM
Congratulations, BB - its a great feeling, just savour it for a while. Your journey has been longer than most (both literally and metaphorically), but you made it in the end! Well done :clapping:

Lauren

MicksRedNova
02-04-2009, 09:51 PM
I was scared that I would be disappointed and that the last 16 years were a waste of time. I'm pleased to report that they weren't.

With 'only' a quarter of your build time I was also worried that the on-road experience would not be worth the wait. But I am pleasantly surprised how easy (relatively) driving mine has turned out too. I don't have the issue of too much power to worry about - my engine is a 1200, single port made from the 'best' bits from 3 scrap engines - so doing a 360 is probably going to need and ice rink :laugh:

Glad to hear you enjoy the experience.

Mick

jimcub
02-04-2009, 11:11 PM
[- so doing a 360 is probably going to need and ice rink :laugh:
Mick

All you need a wet surface and a gentle side ways downward slope, touch the throttle and your away. Thats all I needed would work every time, but I'm sure the oncoming traffic would not be very happy, so in the wet I take it easy.