PDA

View Full Version : 200mm ring gear

dorsetlad
07-04-2009, 08:16 PM
As some will know, iv fitted a rover twin cam into the vw box. I welded the vw & rover flywheels together, made the adapter plate, and fitted them in...... fitted fine. hight torque starter motor turned it over fine. (Some thought that i was going to leave the two welded flywheels in, 10 kilo He-He). Im having the two made into one from a solid billit of HE30 aerospace grade alumnium or 2014a.And the friction plate from a disc of EN9 carbon steel. Now comes the bit i need a hand with, i need a vw 200mm 130 tooth ring gear to fit to it. The earlier 200mm flywheels r/g were cast as one, but have been told that the later ones were removable heat/chill and tap. can any one point me in the right direction to get a new one. have tried all over the internet.
Terry
ps....... have prepped the nostril bonnet Alex, so have started to get some more bits sorted

Alzax3
07-04-2009, 08:38 PM
Excellent, Terry - I'm in the middle of painting mine! Good luck with the ring gear hunt....

letterman7
07-04-2009, 08:40 PM
The only place I've ever seen them is here: http://www.corvair.com/user-cgi/catalog ... ge=OTTO-39 (http://www.corvair.com/user-cgi/catalog.cgi?function=goto&catalog=SPECIALTY&section=OTTO&page=OTTO-39)

You'll need to contact Clarks for current pricing and availability and a shipping quote. I'm not sure how well the ring gear is going to friction fit onto an aluminum flywheel, though. Even aerospace grade aluminum has a certain "slip" to it when subjected to enough torque...should be an interesting build!

dorsetlad
07-04-2009, 09:37 PM
Found two on Ebay from the states, 12 volt 130 tooth RB - v200 .... manufacturer QSC $45 +p/p.
nice to find one from uk though
Terry

dorsetlad
08-04-2009, 10:35 PM
Have just bought the ring gear from the states £51.15 including p/p. + £7.67 vat .. import duty only paid if over £120.
Terry

jimcub
08-04-2009, 11:22 PM
I had to pay import duty on a £26 order :nonono:, just another way of clawing back from out of our wallets.

letterman7
09-04-2009, 02:05 AM
Should have let one of folks know you were going to buy it, Terry. We could have got it for you then shipped it as a gift....and saved the tariff.

dorsetlad
09-04-2009, 01:46 PM
Not sure if the gift thing still works. Thought i had read some where that the uk gov had plugged it. I had a word with uk customs & excise and they said no import duty on any thing from the states under £120 just the 15% vat. (they do add the shipping costs onto the item price for vat though). David from Sterling kit cars is sending me a pair of side air intake scoops some time this week, he wanted a business address to send them to to save on the us duty freight shipping price. didnt have one, so, its still the same old story mate. if you cant get it in the uk and want it in a hurry you have to pay the price.
Terry

dorsetlad
09-04-2009, 02:42 PM
Just called customs & excise There will be a small duty charge on both of my purchases after all. Ah well, thats about right. I was a pirate in my younger days. Hazels worried when i call her " my treasure" ....
............... she thinks im going to bury her.
Terry

dorsetlad
15-04-2009, 06:14 PM
received the ring gear from the states this morning. No added duty/vat bill, but im sure thats to follow. They do want their pound of flesh. Now have to send the vw & rover flywheels, the new ring gear and the clutch plate off to the midlands ...... weighs a ton . looking forward to getting the new machined one back. will fit it in the k16 that i took out to try it. Whilst i complete the new k16 short block on the engine stand. Having new s/s dowels made to replace the standard nylon ones that allow the head to move. they did change the head dowels to steel ones....... that will give probs in the future " rusting" Land rover lower rail "sturdier" and larger oil ways. again land rover multi layer head gasket . lots to do else where on the car though.
Terry

bobbybrown
15-04-2009, 06:25 PM
Terry, if you are using a k16 engine I may be able to advise you on some things.
I am an expert on those engines.

dorsetlad
15-04-2009, 09:51 PM
Dan , your help would be most appreciated. so far i have modded the fuel tank and put a k16 fuel pump into it. i have to see my welder mate across the road to make me a new alloy one with baffles to stop fuel starvation, especialy when the fuel level is low, as he has my mig welder on loan in his garage.
the ECU was the one that went with the complete engine " , so no probs there. the engine comes with its own "engine loom " which is handy. Because the Nova has no imobilised, i had to fool the ECU into thinking it did to allow the engine to run with a £50 pcb unit that sends the ok signal to let it start.
With the engine out i can get to the loom where it meets the ECU and combine it with another new rover colour coded full car loom im in the proccess of making. Have taken the A/C pump off "just in the way" leaves enough room to fit the second Alloy triple core radiator will be running the two in tandem. As you know Cooling is the vital bit...... At this stage you might want to think of not helping ........ the nearest alloy rads that will fit and have the inlet/outlets in the right place are the ones that they fit into Raw Striker oooooooooooooooooooooor ....... the caterham 7s. have blocked my ears. Missed a new one on Ebay the other day went for £100 , i phoned the manurfactor and he recons they would be £270 each. none in stock but has the drawings. Now working on the coolant air supply from the front to the rear of the car.

By the way, im probably the oldest in the club. maybe even a great, grand father. ????
Terry

oh, Dan can you pm me the name + telephone no of the courier that we used for your pump. for me to send the flywheels and stuff up to the midlands

bobbybrown
15-04-2009, 09:55 PM
I will help you with whatever you need.
PM on its way Terry.

jimcub
15-04-2009, 10:53 PM
By the way, im probably the oldest in the club. maybe even a great, grand father. ????
Terry

I have 2 grand kids and another on the way

dorsetlad
16-04-2009, 12:29 AM
Excellent work Jim, proud of you mate. "a way to go yet though" Terry

jimcub
16-04-2009, 02:12 PM
Yea at 5 he will be a few years away from making me a G/grandad, perish the thought.

dorsetlad
19-04-2009, 06:19 PM
Hi Dan, They picked up the vw/k16 flywheels on time .. Southampton - Tamworth - Leeds, i suppose they will sit there untill Monday. You said that you would be working that night ........ " hope you managed to find THIS bottle of scotch in the parcel " ???????????.
Found the web site below, intersting , strange how so many people dont know of the H/G & lower oil rail update. Land Rover are staying closed mouth about the earlier k16 probs only to say that they only recommend it for the Freelander. Big hoo ha from the MGF people. Must admit i didnt know that much about the cylinder liner protruding too far above the block face... The multi layer H/G seems to solves that problem too. Did you manage to find your k16 part nos and prices.
Thanks for the courier info Dan .. owe you one. Terry

www.mgcars.org.uk/cgi-bin/gen5?runprog= ... asket.html (http://www.mgcars.org.uk/cgi-bin/gen5?runprog=mgoc&a=&p=emg/mgfheadgasket.html)

bobbybrown
19-04-2009, 06:31 PM
Remind me of the parts you want, Terry.
The liner heights are extremely important on the K series, what you say about the multilayer gasket isn't strictly true.
I would strongly recommend only using the triple layer uprated head gasket if you are 100% certain that the liners are at the correct heights. You must make sure you use the shim thats included with the head gasket too as this plays an important role as it sticks to the headface when the engine is started and run up to temperature for the first time after rebuilding, without the shim, the gasket's strength is seriously impared.

Anything other than pretty much bang on perfect and you will need to use the OE gasket (single layer, orange beading around the outside) as the difference in liner heights will cause the head gasket to fail very prematurely if using the triple layer gasket.
The single layer OE gasket will "mould" and "crush" itself to the liners as long as the difference isn't too much and will work as intended.

That said, the main reason these gaskets fail is because of the sandwich type engine construction. They are constructed using long stretch bolts, measure these carefully when you remove them and if they have stretched then change them for new bolts before putting the engine back together.
I notice from your link that what I was going to say next is published on that page, about the larger capacity engines suffering from HG failure more often than the 1.1 and 1.4.
Although, they mention the K series came in 1.9 and 2.0 capacities, these are the T series engine and not the K series so their info is a little vague there.

The main use for the uprated oil rail is that it is stronger than the standard Rover one. It's new strength helps to stop the head moving around so much (head shuffle) which lowers the chances of the head gasket failing again, if the proper maintenance techniques are used, and the liner heights are checked and double checked when replacing the head gasket and oil rail.

Landrover do only recommend the oil rail update for freelanders, but trust me. It's a popular update to any K16 if the head gasket is being changed anyway.

I was working last week but didn't see your package :oops2:
There was a big cock up at work Thursday and Friday which saw me away from my usual department so it probably flowed past while I was vacant.

If the part numbers you wanted were for the gasket set and oil rail, I know I can get the head gasket (triple layer) for around £25 and the OE gasket (single layer, orange beading) for around £20 from my supplier, if the prices haven't changed.

Been a long time since I've bought the uprated oil rail so I'm unsure of prices, but if you tell me the exact parts you want I can get you the info no problem. Part numbers and Rover list prices won't be any trouble at all.

Hope all that rambling has given you some useful advice, especially about the liner heights.

Dan

dorsetlad
02-05-2009, 11:33 AM
Dan, have picked up a new Lotus adapter for the new K16 engine that replaces the existing plate that holds the oil filter and the single oil temp sender and now allows me to fit two oil temp senders and two oil pressure senders. One pressure sender to the digi dash and the other to the 2" gauge, and same for the temp. Because the spark plug is so deeply recessed into the cylinder head i cant remember which of the cylinder head bolts we agreed to fit the cylinder head temp gauge sender to. Was it the rear head bolt nearest the water jacket outlet , or closer to the water pump , have a feeling it was nearest to the rear water outlet ???????.
Terry

Blimey,............ my part one order for the colour coded cables to make the "New" full wiring loom has just arrived from Vehicle wiring Products, only ordered it yesterday ... late afternoon. Well impressed.