PDA

View Full Version : Engine analyser help

Big Birds Car
17-04-2009, 09:15 AM
Probably more for those over the pond, I have just aquired a BEAR PACE 400 engine analyser. Everything except the gas analyser bit appears to work but the gas part comes up with a message that reads along the lines of out of callibration or data old. I assume that it has a time out as there are a load of callibration stickers on the machine and it last required callibrating in July 2008. I am assuming that there is a clock system that could be reset to get it going again but am not totally sure.
I went on a forum in the states but so far no helpful replies more sort of surprise that the BEAR was sold outside of the states.
Could anyone enlighten me as to wether I can get the gas analyser part working again, callibration isn't a major issue as I only want it to get the carbs there or thereabouts. The rest of the machine works fine and the last update of data for europe was 2005 so it's fine for my needs.

Alzax3
17-04-2009, 10:02 AM
Probably no help but my Gunsons unit asks to be set at 0.02 in free air conditions, then it's happy..... (might just possibly have misplaced the decimal, I'll amend the post later if I have :bleh:)

Big Birds Car
17-04-2009, 10:11 AM
As you say not a lot of help :tongue: The one I have is the sort you see in the MOT stations or larger garages (evilbay of course) and has software that has to be reset by whatever means. It was cheap to buy and everything else seems ok so is still very much worth the money, however the icing would be if I can get the gas analyser bit working as well. Cheers anyway.

letterman7
17-04-2009, 03:36 PM
I'm assuming you went to their website, BBC?
http://www.teambearusa.com/modules/stor ... 49C341.cfm (http://www.teambearusa.com/modules/store/Engine-Analyzer-Software-Updates-for-PACE-400_P11349C341.cfm)
As it says, there was low demand for system upgrades. I don't think a certification would mean much other than the system was checked to be within tolerances and if it wasn't, it would be reset to do so. May explain why it was a cheap purchase. Does it have a probe for the tailpipe (not being familiar with the machine)? If so, the probe may be damaged.
But...and it's just me...your nose and eyes are the best tools to fine tune a set of carbs. Unless you have to meet certain emissions criteria like we do here, use your senses. Look for fouled plugs, sooty pipes and the like for running rich, grey/tan plugs and pipes for lean...but I'm sure you know all this already!

Big Birds Car
17-04-2009, 04:23 PM
Unless you have to meet certain emissions criteria
Exactly that reason, the SVA, and for that matter the yearly MOT we have to have, needs the emmissions to meet set standards for the age of the engine and the Jester kit car although runs fine is out on the emmissions and failed the SVA test on it.

Yes it has a probe for the exhaust which is fine but the pump in the analyser isn't pumping and as I said the certificate is out of date and looking at each label it was calibrated each year so that is why I have a feeling it has a time out on it rather than anything else.

letterman7
17-04-2009, 07:08 PM
Same here in most States. Fortunately I know all me mechanics and they'll allow me to adjust the engine on the fly while the car is still in the testing mode. If you know what failed it in particular, you might be able to adjust it from there, but yes, having an analyzer at home is a nice little addition!

Peter
18-04-2009, 10:04 AM
I have always used a Gunson colortune spark plug (about 30) and it has always been spot on when tested at the ITV (MoT)

hildi25
18-04-2009, 04:12 PM
This may not be any help, but many analyzers use a flame inside of the unit to help figure 0ut the readings. If this flame is not lit then the unit would not calibrate properly. I mostly work with environmental equipment so I dont know the specifics about automotive analyzers.

Rob

Big Birds Car
20-04-2009, 08:23 AM
Well I may have some good news as I found a phone number on the machine and gave it a ring. The guy knows the machine well and where it has come from (a vauxhall dealership up North). He is going to try to find a guy more local to me to sort it out (hopefully) He said it was a well looked after piece of kit so it shouldn't need too much to sort. I will wait and see :crossfinger: