PDA

View Full Version : One of those days but glass half full ideal got me through.

Big Birds Car
25-04-2009, 08:02 PM
Not usually a half full type of person more half empty to be honest but Friday was odd, Had the day off to do a few things, waited for a delivery of some 180 sheets of insulation to turn up only to get a phone call to say that the delivery lorry had gone in for a service but hadn't come back out so delivery would need to be next week. Asked where they were situated and found out only a hand full of miles away so said I would get the trailer hooked up and collect, they were please and so was I.
Then needed to get the Jester on the trailer to go for the SVA retest, my trailer is a converted something with twin axles and is very high so the only way to get cars on to it is to unhook from the pulling car and let the trailer tip up as the vehicle you want on it rides up on the ramps, got in the Jester started it up and drove on the trailer BUT the handbrake on the trailer failed and I smashed the tow hook into the back of my Chevy tailgate, huge dent, paint down to the metal Bu%%er on the bright side it hit the lower portion of the tailgate and didn't smash the upper glass part :clapping: Oh pressing the Jesters brake pedal as hard as I could didn't do anything to stop the trailer I wonder why?
Off to get a prezzy for the wife as it is our anniversary tomorrow and managed to park truck and trailer right outside the jewlers in town result.
Got to SVA station early only to discover the guy who failed it the first time was to do the retest (had been told he didn't work Fridays oh Bu%%er). All was fine until the self centering steering test but the guy let me adjust the tracking on their ramp and we sorted it so the Jester has now passed it's SVA :groupwave: :clapping:
Whilst I was at the test centre there were three guy's with a very nicely turned out RS200 copy with a race cozzy engine in the back and renault box fully adjustable EVERYTHING else, they were in for a retest as well for the speedo reading and exhaust noise, they got it of their trailer, started it up and moved to the position for the test and it died, fuel pumps packed up and they had to cancel the test. The tester said that my car was the only one to pass on Friday as ALL the rest of the kits had broken down either before or during the test. KISS definately comes to mind and the Jester is billy basic. Oh the cost of the RS200 to date? in excess of 40K ouch!.
As usual I'm rambling but what a strange day

Alzax3
25-04-2009, 08:49 PM
Not as strange as mine! (Though congratulations on the pass!)

It rained a bit in the night, and there was an annoying helicopter hovering around from the wee small hours (about half one)

Woke up, looked out the door and bu**er me the entire grassed yard (park 15 cars if you have to) was covered in sand and rocks..... up to a foot thick!
http://i694.photobucket.com/albums/vv303/alzax3/flooddebris768x576.jpg
We estimate about 50 tons, all washed down the hill, through (under) our gate some of the rocks well over house-brick sized. And we've got a house full of B&Bs set to come later in the day. Couldn't even open the gate!
http://i694.photobucket.com/albums/vv303/alzax3/flooddebiscameundergate768x576.jpg
All the water went out the other gate and across one of our fields - via the Traveller
http://i694.photobucket.com/albums/vv303/alzax3/flooddebrisandmoglet768x576.jpg
Took most of the day to scrape it down to a surface they could use, and clear out the flooded barns. We're only a couple of hundred yards from the place where the car got washed away that you may have heard on the news (that's what the helicopter was hovering about for) The road outside was a bit of a mess, but we eventually got that cleared too:
http://i694.photobucket.com/albums/vv303/alzax3/flooddebrisallovertheroad768x576.jpg

Nova was quite safe in a garage that didn't get touched - the tractor that was parked where the Nova used to live had a tide mark just three inches below its rear axle - that's just under 2 feet (!) so if the Nova had been in there it wouldn't be good for much now :scared:

bushboy
25-04-2009, 09:07 PM
BBC,

Congrats on getting the jester through its SVA retest. :cheers: :clapping: :cheers:

Alex,

Look on the bright side....you now have 50 ton of gravel for sale :confused1:

Bushboy

MicksRedNova
25-04-2009, 10:00 PM
Nova was quite safe in a garage that didn't get touched - the tractor that was parked where the Nova used to live had a tide mark just three inches below its rear axle - that's just under 2 feet (!) so if the Nova had been in there it wouldn't be good for much now :scared:

What is it about us Nova owners and flooding? Mind you, your flood looks a bit worse than the 'big puddle' we had last July.

Mick

Alzax3
26-04-2009, 09:25 AM
Ah no, yours stayed around to paddle in - ours came and went silently in the night leaving its weighty payload.......
There's about 5 houses up a track about a mile away who still can't get out despite owning Landrovers - major parts of their half mile track just don't exist at the moment!

islandman
26-04-2009, 12:23 PM
Alex, look on the bright side Hardcore can be expensive and you had tons delivered for free! all you need now is to find someone who wants to buy some :wink:

letterman7
26-04-2009, 02:18 PM
:scared: Well damn....that looks like it could have been much, much worse. That's bizarre that you didn't hear a thing - good to know that body and most of the property came through unscathed.

Spacenut
26-04-2009, 03:47 PM
Well done for getting the Jester through IVA, BBC :clapping:

Sorry you got a dent in the back of the Chevy though :(

Alex - that's really freaky - all that sand just drifting in overnight... Cornwall is not faring well with flash floods these days (I'm thinking of Boscastle the other year). Hope you can clear enough away so that your guests can get to their rooms!

Lauren

Big Birds Car
27-04-2009, 07:59 AM
What the hell are you going to do with that lot? Do you have any ditching buckets that fit to any of the tractors? and will you be able to get the Nova out onto the road for Stoneliegh?
You just have to love the power of nature, 50 tonnes over night from nowhere and it will take you days to shift it somewhere. Hope that your home and contents weren't affected in anyway and that is the worst over for a while.

CyCo
27-04-2009, 08:16 AM
That's just freaky!!

hildi25
27-04-2009, 02:54 PM
Congrats on the passing Big Bird!
Alzax Things could have been worse without proper drainange.

I also had a strange Thursday, I was driving my 69 Torino and saw one of those new Dodge Challengers and gave him a wave out the window. Before I knew it he was behind me telling me to pull over. We stopped and he informed me that he also had a 69 GT Torino. Then he said that he had a set of original chrome Cobra rims that he wanted to give me.
I was excited to say the least. I went to his house and he ended up giving me the set of rims/tires, 8 GT center caps, a chrome brand new water pump sb ford, and 2 275/60 R15 tires. Wow, I know that the center caps alone are over 100 dollars a piece. I am trying to put the 275/60 tires on the sterling to truely finish my project.

I also am a glass half full type of person. And things are starting to look like they are changing around here. :clapping:

Rob

jimcub
01-05-2009, 08:14 PM
I was sunning myself in Tenerife on Wednesday and all of a sudden chairs and tables were soaring into the pool, not mindless yobs but a sudden long gust of wind from the sea. Went as sudden as it came, only casualty was a woman got hit on the head but no damage.

Strange how things like this happen without you knowing, every one puts it down to global warming; bit of a scape goat that phrase I say.