PDA

View Full Version : Rarity comes to light

letterman7
29-04-2009, 12:48 PM
This past month has been busy for the Sterling group here in the US. I've had numerous emails and calls from guys that have found cars and those that are selling. Last night I received an email from a fellow in California (of course) who claimed to have a Sovran. For those not familiar, the Sovran was one of those 'intermediate' cars when California Component opened under new managment for the second time. The body had been retooled to have a monocoque body over a VW spine, and some other modifications. It was a short run at best - the company closed again within a year. We thought there were only three made, and currently all of them reside in the UK.

Here's number four.....

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b31/letterman7/Random/MarlonDeGrandmont.jpg

I'm not digging the wing, but just for the fact the car is what it is it's pretty rare!

islandman
29-04-2009, 12:56 PM
those squared out arches just don't do it for me, no matter how rare it is :sorry:

letterman7
29-04-2009, 12:59 PM
That's why it was a short life. The round peg in a square hole deal...but the foundations were laid for the last generation cars with the revised body dynamics, cockpit and (thankfully) rounded wheel wells once again.

thestevie
29-04-2009, 03:44 PM
is he trying to sell it or just telling you he has it?

letterman7
29-04-2009, 04:03 PM
Just showing it. He contacted me for parts sources.

Alzax3
29-04-2009, 06:55 PM
I'm not keen on the wing either BUT it is better incorporated than most of the efforts I've seen! What possessed them to do that to the arches though? :nonono:

jeshado
30-04-2009, 08:02 AM
Is that the only picture? What city is it in?

CyCo
30-04-2009, 11:06 AM
Certainly looks to be in great condition. Not a fan of the wheel arches either, though I'm sure there were some production cars at the time that had squared off wheel arches too. For some reason I'm thinking the AMC Javlin or Pacer. But I can't find a photo of one with squared off wheel arches.

I don't mind the wing, I think it looks ok. Not amazing, but it still looks ok. I'm thinking it makes the car look a little longer, which along with the wheel arches throws the car out of perspective.

letterman7
30-04-2009, 12:41 PM
Is that the only picture? What city is it in?
We've been going back and forth exchanging info on the car. He's somewhere in the Bay area, I think, judging from what's he told me about how he acquired the car. I have asked for as many photos as he feels comfortable providing, and any other info he wants to share so that I can set up a page on the National site for him. Stay tuned!

jeshado
07-05-2009, 02:54 AM
Cyco,
How about a 1972 Plymouth Roadrunner with square wheel arches--Randy

CyCo
07-05-2009, 03:11 AM
Ah, the Roadrunner. That would be the one. Thanks Randy. :wink:

Nice example too. :cool1:

Spacenut
07-05-2009, 05:26 PM
Yup, the '71 RR is up there in my all-time favourites list as well. I've always preferred the "fuselage" styling of the 71-74 cars, rather than the square-riggers that went before.

Hemi Orange too! Nice :cool1:

Lauren