PDA

View Full Version : The Euro-Nova Story........So Far!

bobbybrown
03-05-2009, 07:44 PM
Euro-Nova started back in July of 2007, after the demise and closure of Nova International.

When we first started, I built the temporary site and got it online as quickly as I could, there were only 2 members when we opened, myself and a good friend from the USA, called Richard Milne.

Euro-Nova was online within 2 hours of Nova International closing, but it was only a temporary measure.

We started life on a temporary free server, and had to email everyone we could remember from Nova International to get them to join the new site, and tell everyone that they knew from the old site.

It started slow, but within a week of opening, we had about 20 members on the free server.
We (the administrators and the members) decided to take a vote, as the free server was full of pop ups and advertisements which made the site difficult and annoying to view.
The vote decided that the members wanted to send in donations to Euro-Nova, so that we could afford to host the site with its own domain name (http://www.euro-nova.co.uk), on a real web hosting server.

Since we opened at our new location, with our real domain name, the growth has been terrific.
At the beginning it started slowly of course, but things soon picked up as more and more people heard through the grapevine that there was another Nova resource to use.
When Nova International closed down, a lot of the valuable information that was stored on the server was sadly lost forever.

We at Euro-Nova, with the help of the members have managed to recoup a lot of information including build manuals, magazine scans and useful information if youíre building a Nova.
We also have an online gallery with over 700 pictures of various Novas and their build progress!
With the help of the manuals, downloadable literature and forums together, I believe that itís possible to start out with a VW Beetle, and end up with a Nova with very few problems.
The beauty of forums like ours, is that if you encounter a problem you can pretty much guarantee that someone else has had the same problem and solved it long before.
We now have well over 150 members and weíre approaching our 16,000th post on the Euro-Nova forums.

Our member base spans the globe; we have many members from all over the UK, many dotted around the United States, Austrailia, France, Spain, Singapore and more.

We are now averaging over 400,000 hits per month.

Weíve had to upgrade the hosting package of Euro-Nova twice so far, as we keep busting through our bandwidth and storage limits! Excellent progress for a site that started with only 2 people.

The staff team at Euro-Nova now consists of 3 individuals, who help out on a completely voluntary basis.

These people are Richard Milne (administrator), Alex Thompson (administrator & Euro-Nova/Club Nova spokesman) and I, Dan Giddings (Administrator & Founder).

Between the three of us, we keep Euro-Nova running behind the scenes on a day to day basis.
Everything on the site, even down to the home page design has been influenced by the members.

No one really owns Euro-Nova; itís a public resource thatís paid for by its members.

We also have our own line of merchandise as of recently, these include t-shirts, mugs, caps, wall clocks, stickers, key rings, tax disc holders and air fresheners.

We also send out a little gift to our donators each year, just to show our thanks and appreciation.

As of June 2008, we affiliated with Club Nova/Avante at their request.
The Clubís MSN site was dying slowly, and was difficult to maintain and use.
They now have their very own slot on the Euro-Nova forums, and a Euro-Nova email address for all club business.
We believe (Rick, Alex, Myself & the Club Nova officials) that affiliating together can only help to strengthen the Nova knowledge and keep this glorious kit alive for many generations to come.

Euro-Nova is the online meeting place for all and is our web presence, whereas Club Nova/Avante is our real world presence at shows throughout the year.

So, thatís the Euro-Nova story so far.

We all hope that Euro-Nova will continue for many years to come, to help and give advice to new and old owners of the Nova, Sterling, Eureka, Avante, Cimbria, Eagle, Puma and every other variant worldwide.

Peter
04-05-2009, 02:38 PM
Thanks for that Dan and may I say you have all done a great job, I know just how much work has gone into the forum as well as the club. We Eagle owners on here are very pleased to have been a part of it and appreciate the warm and helpful atmosphere which carries over at the shows with the friendly welcome and with none of the "us and them" attitude, I have enjoyed the forum immensely and I hope in my own small way, have helped a few owners along the way and I will always be willing to do so.
All the best, Peter Lee
Webmaster, Eagle Owners Club.

Johan
15-06-2012, 10:38 AM
Hi Dan,

The Eagle Club of South Africa has been in contact with the Nova Club in the UK since 1986 and we have experienced the disappearance of Nova International and with that also the disappearance of in our eye great Nova supporters such as Steve and also the former president of the Nova Club in the UK David Iles.

It would be interesting to hear from these blokes if somebody on the forum has stil contact with them.

What you guys have been doing for the past five years is remarkable.

We really appreciate all your efforts and sometimes it seems that it is all in vain but be assured some guys is only browsing on your site and thanks to that we have also picked up a few blokes with Eagles and due to your site our site and the Sterling fellows these cars is in process of being build.

Thank you !! We Salute you!!

Johan Oosthuizen

bobbybrown
25-06-2013, 10:29 AM
It's been a while since this post was made, during that time we have continued to grow and expand beyond what I thought possible.

We now have 230 members and we will soon see the 35,000 post on the Euro-Nova forums.

To have 230 members on a forum such as this with the subject being such a small portion of the population is extraordinary and to have the website and forum still physically active daily, indeed increasingly active is fantastic.

Due to this, we receive more attention, we were recently hacked twice in a 24 hour period. Both hack attempts gained access through the first layer of security but fell foul of the subsequent security layers we have installed.

Almost all traces of these attacks have been removed and the site is running at 80% online.

The gallery is currently disabled while a new improved gallery is worked on and the main website needs a little work.

It has been a great past couple of years for Euro-Nova and I look forward to posting another update in a year or two hopefully saying things along the same lines.

Thanks to all members as this is all down to you.

jimcub
25-06-2013, 03:54 PM
ans a big thankyou to our moderators. :groupwave: and the all the back room boys :groupwave: and Dan :groupwave: :groupwave:

Neil
25-06-2013, 06:42 PM
An incredible, knowledgeable community made available by this forum - just brilliant
Neil

Mostin
25-06-2013, 07:50 PM
Hi all.

Nice to see a positive update on how things are going & a big thanks for all of the time & effort you put in.

Many thanks Dan & the site team who look after the site :clapping: :cheers: :clapping:

Cheers.
Mostin.

NovaF4
25-06-2013, 08:59 PM
Thanks for the site and looking after it. Keep those darn hackers at bay!

G

bushboy
26-06-2013, 07:37 AM
Thanks to Dan & his helpers (Alex) for keeping the site tidy & alive

And thanks to all the contributors for being the blood pumping around the veins of Euro-Nova forum

Bushboy

supernova2
26-06-2013, 10:48 AM
One of the best club sites all members are so willing to help new/old members alike i for one carnt thank you all enought. It's been a while since this post was made, during that time we have continued to grow and expand beyond what I thought possible.

We now have 230 members and we will soon see the 35,000 post on the Euro-Nova forums.

To have 230 members on a forum such as this with the subject being such a small portion of the population is extraordinary and to have the website and forum still physically active daily, indeed increasingly active is fantastic.

Due to this, we receive more attention, we were recently hacked twice in a 24 hour period. Both hack attempts gained access through the first layer of security but fell foul of the subsequent security layers we have installed.

Almost all traces of these attacks have been removed and the site is running at 80% online.

The gallery is currently disabled while a new improved gallery is worked on and the main website needs a little work.

It has been a great past couple of years for Euro-Nova and I look forward to posting another update in a year or two hopefully saying things along the same lines.

Thanks to all members as this is all down to you.

steve
27-06-2013, 08:06 PM
Just a word to echo all the comments above, I certainly appreciate all the unseen work
which goes into keeping the site up and running.
Keep up the great work guys :clapping:
Steve

Peter
28-06-2013, 07:43 AM
Definitely the most active forum for our genre of cars, in fact for a forum with such a limited interest group and owner base it is amazing. well done.