PDA

View Full Version : Registrations questions

Nova Novice
05-05-2009, 11:17 AM
I have the volkzone nova. it has a q plate but when i enquired at dvla they have no record of this, the chassis is a 196o beetle chassis the numbers check out and i have a dating letter from the VWoc of GB. can i register this on its original number plate or should i go for the Q. Any suggestions recieved.

Cheers
Chris

Big Birds Car
05-05-2009, 12:37 PM
If it was me I would possibly go for a rebodied beetle on the 1960 chassis as that as it stands is still ok, then I would get it changed later to a VW Nova 2 seater or whatever you can do making it into the Nova. This would give you the added benefit of Historic Tax classification. The down side is that they may want to inspect the car and if the chassis/floor has been modified with dropped pans you could be in trouble.
Someone will know what the link is but you can get on the DVLA site and put in a registration number and it will tell you the last time it was on the road/taxed and a brief description of the vehicle, if this turns up as a Nova then maybe that would be the route to go if the floor has been modified. (don't be under the impression that the inspectors won't know if it has dropped pans as I had one inspected and they knew where to look for the numbers and what the floor should look like).
Good luck

MicksRedNova
05-05-2009, 07:57 PM
it has a q plate but when i enquired at dvla they have no record of this,

If the car didn't come with a V5c registration document it's probably that the previous owner 'ignored' the reminders to send of their old paperwork 'V5 or log-book' and there was a cut-off period after which I think the old details lapsed (about 10 years ago I had to do it for my 1953 motorcycle). Suggest you try the recommendation from BBC above and try registering under the original Beetle registration (if you know it), but that probably lapsed too. The other possibility is to get another chassis (with V5c) and swap all the bits onto it - but that requires a bit more work. I picked up a chassis for mine for £100 including gearbox and 2 engines, so not too expensive, but transferring the body etc over is a laborious task.

Mick

Nova Novice
05-05-2009, 08:47 PM
I have made another enquiry to the DVLa and they have got a record of the Q plate as a vw nova Kit car in the description . how can two phone calls give opposite information.
Is it possible to regain the original registration. from the chassis with a dating letter once I have the MOT and the correct log book or am i asking for trouble?

Big Birds Car
05-05-2009, 09:21 PM
Would suggest that is asking for trouble BUT how about getting another chassis, pre 1973 and trying to get it changed to a rebodied beetle (without actually doing the swap) and see if you get a V5C with Nova on it, if you do you can get the historic tax classification and then sell the other V5c Q plate to someone else. All hyperthetical of course.

Alzax3
06-05-2009, 07:29 AM
And obviously we don't and can't recommend or endorse 'ringing' on this forum.... :nonono:

Big Birds Car
06-05-2009, 11:08 AM
Ringing! ringing! oooooh that IS naughty :nonono: as if anyone would do such underhand things.

Peter
06-05-2009, 04:57 PM
I have made another enquiry to the DVLa and they have got a record of the Q plate as a vw nova Kit car in the description . how can two phone calls give opposite information.
Is it possible to regain the original registration. from the chassis with a dating letter once I have the MOT and the correct log book or am i asking for trouble?

You think two opinions with two calls is bad, try Spain, three calls will give you at least five versions of what is required.
This matter has been done to death on here.
Unless you have the original documents as in V5 for the chassis in question you will not be able to change from a Q plate and even if you have the original V5 (or old log book) you will find it almost impossible to change the number even to an age related one, I know I have a 1966 chassis with a full documentation regarding age, dealer it was sold through etc and I battled for months without avail, without the original number plate and log book mated to a chassis, you’re screwed.

Alzax3
06-05-2009, 07:28 PM
Never any point telling newbies that subjects have been covered in-depth before, Peter - they're either the sort that read the whole forum before posting, or they're not........ :wink:

Nova Novice
06-05-2009, 08:06 PM
i had a quick look but could not find removal of Q plates. I have posted the same question on our local vw club site and one guy with a long wheel base buggy has replied this evening to say he has just been issued an age related plate on a long wheel base buggy to replace a Q. I agree with what i feel is the general opinion that the DVLA are a complete shower and it just depends on luck what happens. thanks for the advice i have had expirience of beetles but never kit cars so these problems are new to me.

Cheers Chris

Big Birds Car
06-05-2009, 08:15 PM
they're either the sort that read the whole forum before posting, or they're not........

oooooh that's a bit harsh, have you seen how BIG this forum is now and things are covered to death maybe but not necessarilly in the correct posts (sorry I'm one of the many to blame for that :laugh: )

"The only stupid question is the one you don't ask" so some one once said (wasn't that you Peter :laugh: )

Anyway back on topic :bleh: Lauren has managed to get history on a vehicle before from the DVLA so I would see how it was done, it maybe that you can request the information if you are the registered owner so once you have the V5c in your name it maybe easier. Over to you Lauren.

Big Birds Car
06-05-2009, 08:20 PM
long wheel base buggy

That will be because he could prove that the chassis/floor pan had not been modified and if he can also prove the age of the engine and gearbox he had a good case for getting the age related plate, it will not be transferable but does give him the right for historic tax class. I doubt he would have been able to do it if he had a short wheel base buggy as that entails cutting 18" out of the length and that would be noticed and deemed a modified chassis. The Nova takes a full size beetle chassis, some don't modify the floors but most do to gain more headroom and it is this lowering of the floor pans that causes issues in registering.

Nova Novice
06-05-2009, 08:56 PM
I had heard this was going ti try an not lower the floorpans get mot and see how i get on with it. if i can get a plate then i can lower the pans if i need to at that stage. Is it true a mk2 canopy will fit a mk1 and give extra head room 2" ive heard. i hope it wont matter as i am only a short arse anyway. thanks for all the advice. I will let you all know how it goes. i will get some pics of the build up as i go

jimcub
06-05-2009, 10:52 PM
The 2" is done by an extra 1" in the canopy and 1" in the body.

Alzax3
07-05-2009, 07:37 AM
As one short arse to another, and the only person I know who runs an un-dropped floorpan - you CAN cope with a standard Mk1 shell and canopy as long as you don't mind the roof being VERY close to your head. Any taller than 5ft8, forget it. And you have to use good reclining seats, plus I wouldn't do it without a lift out sunroof. That way in good weather you just leave the roof out, and when it rains you get used to running with the roof tilted, but it isn't nice with it shut.
The Mk2 or 4 canopy isn't going to help much, as it only adds an inch and you have to put up with the ugly fillet of plastic above the screen :whistling: If you rate your glass fibre abilities, you could run a saw round the lower section of the cockpit (about an inch above the flange) and add that extra inch just like the Elams did - it won't show on the outside!
Big advantage with the way my car is set up though, even with really lowered suspension, you don't have to worry about speed bumps, since there's nothing much to ground out on!

Spacenut
07-05-2009, 05:41 PM
Its true, if you are the registered keeper of the vehicle (or can claim a legitimate reason for asking) you can get DVLA to run a history check on that registration. I got the full history on my Barracuda going back to 1978 this way. It costs about £5 (or at least it did 5 years ago). The data pack consists of photocopies of each issue of the V5C, not good quality, but useful nevertheless.

I want to do the same thing for Green Machine so I can find out at what point it was re-registered as a Nova. That would be the nearest I could get to a build date, unless I can track down the original builder (possible, with the DVLA search).

Lauren

angelsdevil040
15-06-2009, 04:49 PM
Hi All,

Just as a case of interest, i have been having a battle with the DVLA for the past 6 months over change from beetle to nova. They have now come up with the case that after i have had the nova inspected and told everything is OK, they now want to see the original purchase doc of the nova body before they will issue an age related V5c. If i can not produce the purchase doc, they will only issue me with a Q plate and not the original 1967 (F) plate.

Paul

Big Birds Car
16-06-2009, 07:41 AM
I'm sorry about your position and also that I keep on about this, but as you can see everyone says to transfer from a beetle to a Nova, or any other beetle floor pan running kit, is easy as it is just a rebodied beetle and it is no longer the case. The whole point of the "Q" plate was so cars could be registered if not all the components could be identified or verified, but by this last posting it would seem not to be the case any more.
If you weren't fitting a Nova body to the beetle chassis and running it as a sand rail for instance, there would not be any bodywork or at least you could make it yourself so there would be no reciept for it so where would they stand on that.
I am a little concerned myself as the other kit I have built has now passed it's SVA test but I have still to do the registration and I don't have an original purchase reciept for the body either. What I do have is a letter from the previous owner (not the original owner of the kit as he died before building it) to inform anyone that needs to know when the kit was purchased, why and why it wasn't completed in the last thirteen years. I just hope that will be enough information. The issue you have is that without the original registration you will not be allowed to have historic tax classification and so will have to pay tax on the car :nonono:
Things will not get any easier so if you have the chance to get your cars registered correctly without too much hassle I would do so now and not keep sticking your heads up your A&&es and hope all will be well with the world, the kit car enthusiast is a pain in the DVLA's backside and if they can make things difficult for us they will, if they can make it more expensive they will and if they think they can get rid of us they will.

:sorry: gets off soap box, collects coat and shuts the door behind.

JemP
16-06-2009, 07:53 AM
I think the problem is the change of "model" on the V5C. I'm just guessing here but if you had a Spitfire, and took the Spit body off and put a GT6 body on, you wouldn't be able change the Model to a GT6 it would still be a Spitfire with a slightly different body shape. If you change the body shape of a Beetle by putting a Nova body on it, its still a Beetle. Why not leave the Model as Beetle and change the body style to Coupe, after all thats what it is. If you took the Beetle body off and replaced it with a Wizrod body, its still a Beetle, if you took the body off and made a sand rail, its still a Beetle.

Spacenut
16-06-2009, 12:02 PM
...And if you take the body off, and replace it with a Nova shell, and then remove the chassis, and replace it with a tube frame, I wonder what you have then? :whistling:

BBC is right though - the DVLA are committed to getting all self-build cars off the roads. There is virtually no uncontrolled assembly processes in the construction of a 7even. All of the major components are supplied new, are fully developed, probably crash tested for all I know. Its more of a "kit car" than ever before, which for me is a constraint, as all cars are a compromise, and I prefer to strike a different balance from what the manufacturer intended.

Unfortunately, all this new legislation is making it impossible to improve an existing design. If I followed the rules, I would have to revert from a (partially) triangulated tube frame to a floppy floorpan, move my weight distribution dramatically to the rear, replace my all-round disc brakes with drums at the back and less effective discs at the front, go back to bolting my seatbelts through fibreglass, and replace all my suspension with too-stiff springs at the front, too soft at the back, no camber control anywhere... and last but not least, no headroom in the cockpit!

Lauren

MicksRedNova
16-06-2009, 07:01 PM
Why not leave the Model as Beetle and change the body style to Coupe, after all thats what it is.

I've obviously been lucky - I just checked the V5C for my Nova and the 'Model' part of the form is blank - i.e. it doesn't say Beetle. When I sent it away for change of ownership (when I bought the 1967 chassis) I changed the Body to 'Coupe', seats to 'two' and colour to red - maybe DVLA removed the Beetle entry then.
I have also looked at the V5C for my 'spare' chassis (the one that came with the Nova) which is now only a chassis number sized piece of steel :wink: as the rest was rusted away that does say 'Beetle' in the model field, but I've never tried changing any of those details with DVLA.

Mick

benherron
29-08-2009, 10:06 PM
I'm in a similar position to a few people too. Not liking the idea of IVA but not sure how to 'prove' parts aren't stolen.

Brought my Eagle SS not really checking the vin number, I had no idea where it was at the time on the car. The previous owner had only owned it for a few months but had a sticky divorce and thus sold it. He had the engine and chassis plates all matching the V5c and a folder full of MOTs and parts brought.
Turns out its not the same vin number on the chassis, and it seems the owner- 3-owners-ago brought this 'documentation' and folder of goodies to try and pass it off as the rolling chassis. So the V5c in my name, passed through 3 new owners without the real car changing hands, is not the one in my garage.

SO.... tail between my legs I went to the DVLA
... because i only knew just a chassis number they couldnt tell me the registration number, because technically i didnt own the car
......so i couldnt check if the car was stolen on their DVLA website, without knowing the registration number, which they couldnt give me.... round and round this went
...similarly i couldnt fill in a v60 (i.e. new logbook/change of ownership) without a registration number....which they couldnt give me....

...2 hours pass....

many arguements over what it technically is
---them--- "it's a kitcar so it's got to be Q plate'd anyway"
---me---"no, its a radically altered car, effectively a 'body kit' like chav's changing their bumpers or how a Karmman Ghia is to a beetle"
and...eventually they backed down as I brought with me their own document stating that if i had chassis and 2 major parts, it would be good to avoid IVA, although how i prove they are original they were unsure on but one battle at a time.

After a while they said they knew about the car, and it was good news...i.e wink wink its not stolen.
They made me fill in the V60 without putting in the reg....pay £25 and the lovely head bosswoman said she'd sort it out.
I read between the lines that she'd put the reg on the paper after i left..... its not even been a week yet so still waiting for the V5c, it will definitely say beetle though and it'll definitely need inspecting.
(NOTE: inspector got involved at one point, said he wouldnt inspect car until it had been finished to a reasonable state...as mine is in bits and body isnt connected to chassis, he wouldnt inspect it as I could change anything to afterwards.....i will go back to ask how finished it needs to be, but again one battle at a time)

My main question is that it says unmodified chassis on the radically altered documents.....now I know that means no SWB buggies and from what other people have said lowered pans are not technically chassis so dont count.
but does that mean no moving the gearstick, which mine has all ready been done??

My (admittedly dodgy) way around this was to grind down the welds, smooth it out, prime and paint over.....then carpet over and pray :crossfinger: but would the inspector be clever to this??
Similarly ive heard people just change every detail on the V5c (address, name, age etc) and because the guys in swansea cant be arse to check... its come back fully entered and ready to MOT?!? I might just try this...

Has anyone passed the IVA test yet? The Eagle Owners Forum concensus is that it wouldnt pass without big changes...the seatbelt height and door locking makes it very difficult to pass.

Ben

Big Birds Car
29-08-2009, 10:54 PM
Bit of an up date

I am a little concerned myself as the other kit I have built has now passed it's SVA test but I have still to do the registration and I don't have an original purchase reciept for the body either. What I do have is a letter from the previous owner (not the original owner of the kit as he died before building it) to inform anyone that needs to know when the kit was purchased, why and why it wasn't completed in the last thirteen years. I just hope that will be enough information.

Well went to local DVLA and they wanted to give me a Q plate as I don't have the original purchase reciept for the body/chassis even though the whole of the rest of the kit is from the one donor vehicle that we have the registration documents for, the letter amounted to bugger all as far as they were concerned.
Parts used from donor were: Engine, gearbox, front suspension and brakes, steering system complete, rear suspension and brakes, instrument cluster, centre console, seat belts, wheels and tyres, radiator and even the battery.

Anyway I have now managed to get a copy invoice for the kit from the manufacturer so will be going back next week to see what they say to that.

Has anyone passed the IVA test yet? The Eagle Owners Forum concensus is that it wouldnt pass without big changes...the seatbelt height and door locking makes it very difficult to pass.

I haven't done IVA but recently did get a pass in the SVA and the kit I took was designed before SVA was thought of and a fair few bits were fails so I didn't fit them. The car went through without a front screen, doors, heater, wipers or washers. My biggest issue was infact rear view mirrors and ended up fitting Honda C90 mirrors and that was ok. For your application I would suggest that dropped pans could well be considered alterations to the chassis so be careful. You could put the SS through without doors or screen (put a small aero screen on instead. The seat belts will need to be well secured and at a certain height for the shoulder point but this shouldn't be much of an issue on your vehicle and I would suggest an easy fix.
The other things they are hot on ar radii of anything inside and out.
If you go for it good luck. :crossfinger: