PDA

View Full Version : Rocker gaskets - Beetle engines - Bolt on or clip

jim73vw
08-05-2009, 07:41 PM
Hi all,

Never been a problem on previous Vws but Nena seems to like to spit oil out of the rocker gaskets.

Recently changed them, using stock covers clips etc

What are others using?

Anyone moved over to bolt on - I have heard nightmare stories about these too !?

As usual your experiences and set up info much appreciated,

Alzax3
08-05-2009, 07:48 PM
I went over to alloy bolt-ons two years back when the original pressed steel and clip ones gave up on the way back from Stones, spilling quite a lot of oil on the M5, resulting in emergency trip into a Service station and having to buy RIDICULOUSLY expensive oil in litre cans. Not lost a drop since. (Same thing happened with my 411 engine 20 years ago too now I think about it!)

jim73vw
08-05-2009, 09:36 PM
Cheers Alex, casting your mind back were they easy to fit? Did you use stud extenders and bolt to those or replace the existing studs?

Off to be heritage tomorrow to replace a missing oil cap so will have a look,

jimcub
08-05-2009, 11:26 PM
I have alloy bolt on type with stud extenders, the old ( new ) spring clip type leaked like a sieve. I stick the seal onto the cover and oil the other surface before I install it.

letterman7
08-05-2009, 11:55 PM
Bolt on here as well. For some reason I could never get the spring style to seat right - as I'd bring the bale tight, the gasket would slip just enough to cause an issue. With the bolt-ons, to me there's no better choice since the gasket is part of the cover instead of just being in it.

Alzax3
09-05-2009, 08:59 AM
Yup, I found the same as Rick with the gaskets, it's amazing how poor and fiddly a system lasted for soooo long! My new ones came with the fittings that were needed, don't remember having to extend the studs, I'm certain that female thread 'bolts' were plenty long enough.

Peter
09-05-2009, 07:56 PM
Bolt on with a Empi breather kit but I used common stainless braid covered plumbling hoses and fittings at £4 a go instead of car ones.
The covers should come with extended nuts and the correct allen bolts and composite gaskets.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v219/Ukhozi/engine/engine.jpg

jim73vw
10-05-2009, 10:32 PM
Useful picture Peter - cheers :kewlpics:

Have also been thinking about a breather box - how many pipes do you have running to it? 2 to the rockers, one to oil filler, and one to each carb ?

Peter
11-05-2009, 02:38 PM
Just one from the upper front corner of each rocker cover to the upper part above the foam filter and the drain tube from the bottom below the internal filter to the oil filler tube. Strictly speaking one should have one from the bottom plate of the air filters to the the box too but I haven’t gotten around to that yet.
On the connections I used a 1/2"” brass connector and nut fitted from inside the cover and the same on the box, then used a standard 1/2"” braided plumbing hose to connect.. On the oil filler I used the standard 3/8”npt that was in it and using an old AN-8 fitting connected to a larger pipe with a 90 degree angle on the top end.. the whole bunch of pipes and fitting came to about £15 plus the Empi box but no reason why one couldn’t make a decent box up and save that cost too.
The pipes going to the cards are the AN-4 fuel pipes. The electric pump, filter, regulator and computer flow sensor are just in front of the left axle.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v219/Ukhozi/engine/PICT0002-1.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v219/Ukhozi/Picture029.jpg

MicksRedNova
26-05-2009, 12:16 AM
Jim

Just fitted new covers to mine (GSF £4.50), plus clips and gaskets. They were a bu**er to fit, the new clips took a real struggle to get on, so I think it's unlikely that any oil will get out now. I 'glued' the gasket to the inside of the rocker cover with 'Hermatite Silicone Gasket' which helps hold them in place while you offer them up to the head.

Mick

MikesPinkPassion
26-05-2009, 02:16 PM
The secret to clip-ons is all in the gasket.
Always buy the original 'cork' gaskets, not the synthetic rubberised ones.
Take a big handfull of axle grease, the amber stuff, LM or HT.
Pull each gasket through your hand at the same time massaging the grease into the cork with your thumb and finger.
Fill the channel around the rocker cover with more grease.
Put gasket in channel, offer up and lever clip on.
Clips are usually handed, so check the shape carefully.
When correct they lever up best from bottom towards top of engine.
Start the engine and leave ticking over for 15mins to heat everything up.
The grease expands the cork and gives an oil tight seal.
Wipe away any excess grease that has squeezed out.
Job Done. :clapping:

Bolt ons are fitted exactly the same way, it's the gasket that does the job.

Hope this helps,

Mike (F-014)