PDA

View Full Version : New bloke!

ChrisG
16-05-2009, 01:53 PM
Hello!

My name is Chris and I'm new here.

I've always liked the Nova and It's my ambition to build a Nova with a space frame chassis, all round double wishbone suspension and a big V8, either Audi or possibly a Corvette LS1.

Cheers

Chris :)

bobbybrown
16-05-2009, 01:55 PM
Welcome to Euro-Nova Chris :clapping:

ChrisG
16-05-2009, 02:05 PM
Thanks Bobby! :thumbup:

Spacenut
16-05-2009, 03:50 PM
Welcome to Euro Nova Chris :welcome:

A Corvette LS1 will be a bit of a squeeze in a mid-engine conversion - without extending the wheelbase I would question whether it can be done with acceptable driveshaft angles :(

Parallel Designs tried to make the BMW V8 fit their Miura replica a couple of years back, using the Audi (Getrag) transaxle, but had to give up on that as well - they are currently trying to get some orders with a twin-turbo A6 engine and transaxle...

Unless of course you can find a way of mounting the LS1 sideways...? Wasn't the Cadillac Northstar (code LD8, 275 bhp, 300 lb/ft) fitted transversely?

Rear vision could be a problem with a tall engine. Sounds like you know what you want, good luck with your project!

Lauren

jimcub
16-05-2009, 05:18 PM
What about the Corvair flat 6

http://i666.photobucket.com/albums/vv26/jimcub/corvairstr6-1.jpg

thestevie
16-05-2009, 05:31 PM
yes the northstar is sideways
rear view is a problem anyway so why not block the small window

Alzax3
16-05-2009, 06:43 PM
The Corvair must be getting about as rare as honest politicians by now, Jim - have you ever seen one?

bobbybrown
16-05-2009, 07:44 PM
They are rare, but they are available if you know where to look :wink:

Alzax3
16-05-2009, 07:51 PM
Right Dan, I'd like one honest politician to go please! :clapping: :rofl:

bobbybrown
16-05-2009, 07:53 PM
Come on Alex, you know they don't exist.
Even I can't get those :laugh:

bushboy
16-05-2009, 08:57 PM
ChrisG,
That's one big ambition, and one shared by many on this forum. My best advice is to goahead and make the spaceframe with all the bells and whistles that you want & then try to skin it with a Nova shell.

best of luck

bushboy

ChrisG
16-05-2009, 09:58 PM
Thanks for the welcome!

I'm aware of the problem with the length of any mid engined conversion, I'm looking for a dimensioned drawing of the Nova so that I can play with a 3d model on the computer. I've sort of got a shakey plan to add a bit of length to the wheelbase, but I don't want to ruin the styling. I *think* that the Audi four cylinder will go in the space of an unmodified bodyshell, although it might require special driveshaft joints to deal with the angles.

It would be nice to use the Audi 016 transmission or the shorter of the two Porsche G50 ones if I go with a V8.

Spaceframe chassis are sort of my business, so that and the suspension shouldn't be a problem, but expect many many stupid questions about everything else....apologies in advance :)

As for politicians, my dad used to say "the last man to enter the house of commons with good intentions was Guy Fawkes"

Ben
16-05-2009, 10:44 PM
Hi ChrisG

Welcome to Euro-Nova I love your thinking :clapping: You can fit the Audi v8 4.2 donk in a Nova. Then just skin your space frame chassies. I would put some of that power to the front wheels it can be done.

Ben

CyCo
17-05-2009, 03:59 AM
Welcome Chris!

What about the Corvair flat 6

http://i666.photobucket.com/albums/vv26/jimcub/corvairstr6-1.jpg

There are at least two 'reeks out there somewhere that were running a 6 cylinder Corvair engine that I know of, though if they still have them, and if they're still out there, I don't know.

Or if you're thinking of a flat 6, why not go with the Subaru flat 6?

Peter
17-05-2009, 02:05 PM
It can, and has been be done with huge modifications to the car and a complete new chassis. If you want to go mid engine it doesnít have to be in line, that would be very difficult even if you could get a transaxle to suite. It might be an idea to look at some of the many larger transverse set ups such as the V6 Honda to slot into your tube chassis, more than enough power for a light car and can sound awesome! I would be a LOT easier.

Peter
17-05-2009, 02:10 PM
p.s. Donít knock politicians too much, they are not all the same, I spent seven years trying to be a good one at local level and so did my fellow councillors and all I ever got out of it at the end was a Liberal Democrat ten year anniversary mug!,

essexdave
17-05-2009, 02:12 PM
Claimed back in expenses ??? :nonono:

bobbybrown
17-05-2009, 02:36 PM
Claimed back in expenses ??? :nonono:
:lmfao:

thestevie
17-05-2009, 08:24 PM
chris
what are your plans for a space frame
im planing on one too
just want some info

ChrisG
17-05-2009, 09:17 PM
I'm thinking along the lines of this

http://www.ultimasports.co.uk/content/gtr/body1.jpg

This is the Ultima chassis. It wont be a pure spaceframe, the big holes (cockpit, engine compartment) prevent it but it should be pretty stiff using a perimeter frame as in the ultima and the additional side bracing which the Nova's deep sides allow should mean that it's going to be at least as stiff as the Beetle based car.

It would be good to share information, but I don't have a car at the moment!!

I need a dimensioned drawing to make a start if anyone has one.

thanks

Chris :)

Nic
17-05-2009, 09:39 PM
well as Lauren is the only one here (I think) with a custom space frame, she's your best best for good ideas.

Alzax3
17-05-2009, 09:41 PM
She's not, but she's the only one that I know of with a road going example.....

jimcub
17-05-2009, 09:57 PM
I spent a term as a local polititian but then we all got ousted in a coup, 1 year later they asked me back to stop the back stabbing and lies.

there was a Dutch Nova ( purple or black ) with an Audi V8 stuck in it, or was it the one with square arches wanted quite a bit for it if I remember.

Peter
17-05-2009, 11:26 PM
Is the VW Ultima chassis still about? I don't mean the racing one for millionairs, Mind you, if it's build it yourself job you can't go far wrong with a Rorty design as a starting point.
http://www.rorty-design.com/content/beetle.htm

hildi25
18-05-2009, 04:30 AM
Welcome aboard.

That chassis looks a good upgrade from the VW. Is that the one from Kurpakis engineering?

thestevie
18-05-2009, 07:14 AM
i would like to help but my car is in new jersey and im in italy.

sterling sports car has a few spaceframes out you could email dave and see if he will give you some info.

Spacenut
18-05-2009, 11:59 AM
It's true - there have been attempts both before and since I developed the Green Machine - Keith Stringer developed a Rover V8 midengine Nova in the late 80s, but accounts differ about whether it was just an engine support frame cantilevered off the Beetle floorpan or a full frame (space or otherwise). It almost certainly used the VW front beam.

Tim Hopkins presented a Lancia Beta midmount chassis for his Nova at Stones in 1993. He won an award for best engineered project, which I remember well because I presented my chassis at Sandown Park the same year - no prizes for appearing at Sandown Park :(

After seeing the write-up in the newsletter, Tim rather hastily converted his chassis to run the in-line Alfasud package, like Green Machine, but never finished the car and in fact spent most of the decade trying to sell it. I watched the price slowly tumble from £4k to about £700 odd. Not sure if it ever sold. Tim's chassis used standard Cortina front suspension, which is rather crude, even if you re-rate the springs, and the Alfa rear struts with locked steering arms that introduced roll-steer geometry...

LotusNova (Jon) is in France working on a radical redesign of the Nova utilising a Spydersport Lotus Europa replacement chassis (essentially a tubular version of the familiar pressed steel unit), together with a cooking turbo 4-pot engine.

And I seem to recall Mr Fluffy on the old forum (also in France) was building a supercharged Rover V8 powered Nova with a dorsal intake using a Lotus Esprit chassis.

The most developed chassis for a the Nova was produced by Sam Cobley in the mid-90s; it was designed for another application by a company whose name escapes me, but the zero bump-steer front suspension was designed for the Nova by Richard Oakes, which is nice. Three chassis were sold, as far as I can tell, but the only one to surface so far belongs to club member Richard Aldous from West Sussex. Its a rolling chassis, with a Ford XR3 engine and transmission, transversely mounted of course. Richard is finding out the hard way that the chassis was designed to fit Sam's later (Mk4) bodyshell, Richard has an ADD Mk1 with the shallower body tub.

I believe Alex has the only known Mk4 mid-mount bodyshell (modified in strange places :D) as part of his legendary "mould mountain".

I still maintain the best solution for the Nova, with its very heavy semi-monocoque shell, is a full fibreglass monocoque structure, with maybe additional subframes to carry the engine and suspension loads. That way you could get the overall weight down to reasonable level, and then you wouldn't have to put in the biggest engine you can think of to make it move!

Lauren

ChrisG
18-05-2009, 05:05 PM
That's great info - thanks Lauren!!

Big Birds Car
19-05-2009, 07:49 AM
seven years trying to be a good one at local level and so did my fellow councillors and all I ever got out of it at the end was a Liberal Democrat ten year anniversary mug!,

Typical politician, can't add up and over spends :crylol:

g.jetson
02-06-2009, 09:05 PM
hello i just bought sterling # ccc266 NEWYORK USA :clapping: :clapping:

jimcub
02-06-2009, 09:12 PM
Welcome aboard :welcome: