PDA

View Full Version : Announcing updated SterlingCentral (now SterlingKitCars.com)

farfegnubbin
14-06-2009, 03:04 PM
Hi everyone,

I just wanted to proudly announce the launch of an "updated SterlingCentral" and to clarify a few things that have been weighing on my mind.

First some quick background: At one point in history, SterlingCentral.com and Nova-International.net were virtually the ONLY big, well-know websites for our hobby. I took over SterlingCentral many years ago when the old owner moved on to other projects. (I just couldn't bear to see it go off-line and be lost). Every single year that I've owned it, I've promised myself that "this will be the year that I update it," but years have passed without any of my updates going live. And over the years, eventually Nova-International went off-line and this wonderful site (Euro-Nova) took hold. But I've always still wanted to go live with some of the updates. And finally, the time was right.

(Note, the new site is called SterlingKitCars.com, which is a name I had bought and "parked" way back in 2002 or 2003 when I thought we had lost the name "SterlingCentral." The new site is so different than the old one that I decided to go with the new name.)

Anyway...

I'm proud of the site, and I think it has some cool little things that haven't been done before.

But here is my quandary (and it's back story): I think that Euro-Nova has the best forum on the planet for our hobby. I LOVE this forum.

For my new site, the easiest way to structure it was to use a forum as a backbone, even though the forum is actually NOT the focus of the new site. The site is mainly intended to be 1) a collection of general background information on our cars and 2) a very easy-to-use Showcase for any of our cars/projects. I intend it entirely as a SISTER resource to Euro-Nova and NationalSterling.org, etc.

A few of the guys in the States have said that they would like a forum in the US to discuss at least SOME of the stuff that pertains to our hobby on a more local level. While I agree with that to an extent, I think that having a global forum like exists here has some very real benefits, too. And there is no need to re-invent the wheel. The Euro-Nova forum is wonderful. I plan to be an ardent supporter of it for many years to come.

So in total, I have a new site, and it really does have a couple of cool, unique bells and whistles that haven't been done before...and yes, it DOES have a forum section, but that's not really meant as the focus of the site at all.

I would really like to try to put together a master showcase of virtually all of the Nova derivatives that are still in existence, and we would all need to work together to make that happen.

It's really easy to add you car to the "Showcase" section of the new site, and the formatting and display of the car's pictures is convenient and pretty. (It took a LONG time and a bunch of custom code work to develop it. It was NOT an out-of-the-box solution. Think 200++ hours, sadly.)

So here is the bottom line: You don't need to use the forum on the new site if you don't want to.

Even if you NEVER post one single post in the forum section, please, please, please take the time to drop a few pictures and a quick description of you car or project in to the Showcase.

For the record, again, once and for all, my thoughts are this: The Euro-Nova forum is the best in the world. I'd be perfectly content to keep it just that way.

On SterlingKitCars, I want to have an amazing, easy to use gallery of all of the Novas, Sterlings, Cimbrias, Sebrings, Eurekas, Pumas, Eagles, etc around. Consider it a sister resource to Euro-Nova. I do. Heck, you can even link directly to your showcase listing FROM WITHIN your Euro-Nova posts if you want. It's all good. :)

Please consider joining the new site if only to add your cars to the growing, global showcase. This will be a cool resource for ALL of us to enjoy. I'm just a long-time, very dedicated Sterling enthusiast who has a cool new resource to share with the whole community.

[attachment=0:2xv78b0s]SterlingKitCars_cover.jpg[/attachment:2xv78b0s]

bobbybrown
14-06-2009, 03:08 PM
Get in touch via PM or email, we can discuss how to make the site a sister site and make it all work together.

Regards

Dan

farfegnubbin
14-06-2009, 04:52 PM
Excellent. Not a problem. A PM is on its way. Thanks, Dan. :)

letterman7
14-06-2009, 09:21 PM
viewtopic.php?f=35&t=2063 (http://www.euro-nova.co.uk/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=2063) :sorry: