PDA

View Full Version : Not a kit car, but a shape I guess Lauren may be keen on?

Alzax3
28-07-2009, 06:20 PM
Here you be:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Iso-Grifo-restora ... 5|294%3A50 (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Iso-Grifo-restoration-project-Great-Italian-supercar_W0QQitemZ230361400072QQcmdZViewItemQQptZA utomobiles_UK?hash=item35a29c0308&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=65%3A10|66%3A2|39%3A1|293%3A5|294%3A50)

(Original speedo cost him 1000 - I wonder what all the glass will set someone back? :scared: )

ChrisG
28-07-2009, 06:47 PM
I'd sell my granny for one of those :thumbup:

I daren't bring another scrap car home though :)

Spacenut
28-07-2009, 08:20 PM
I do like the Grifo, but I prefer the S2 model with the re-worked front end (Giugiaro was persuaded to freshen up the design he did at Bertone a decade earlier). This is an S1 model, with a flat hood so I am guessing the Chevy 327 power plant. Like all late 60s Italian exotics, the rust will be very bad... and ISOs were hand-built, so none of the panels fit! The end result can be stunning though.

As an aside, ISO didn't use any old 327 in their cars - because they were expected to be thrashed mercilessly around the motorways of Europe, ISO bought in the brand new engines from Chevy, stripped them down, fitted strengthened con-rods, deep sump, uprated oil pump etc. Effectively blueprinted every engine.

I've always liked the Chevy 327 - its a real performance engine, in spite of its relatively small capacity :D

Now, if you're into more off-the-wall ISOs, how about the Varedo concept from 1972?

http://www.lotusespritturbo.com/Iso_Varedo.htm

Lauren

CyCo
29-07-2009, 01:14 AM
Very nice! I'll be having both cars please. :D

Big Birds Car
29-07-2009, 07:38 AM
I bought an engine and box out of a Rivolta many years ago (still have it lying around somewhere) as it should have been a Chevy lump however when I got there it turned out to be a Ford engine (351 Cleveland that had been breathed on with c6 box) so I was a little dissapointed but still bought it anyway. It was obviously replaced years earlier by someone but I never got round to finding out why they replaced a Chevy lump and box with a totally different engine and box when Chevy lumps were plentiful and cheap at that time even over here. It ended up in my Mk2 Zodiac for a short while, went well.

Peter
29-07-2009, 09:16 AM
Brings back memories, I was at Trojan Engineering in Croyden when these cars were coming through there in the 60's.
There were four main parts to Trojan in those days, Trojan, including munitions, making morter bomb casings, which is where the heat sink for Lambretta's 12v conversion came from, a slice of tail fin. Lambretta UK and Alpha Maclaren, making the F2, F3 and Grp 12 Can Am cars (all with pop rivited alloy chassis) and Iso Grifo.

Alzax3
29-07-2009, 10:23 AM
Was there ever a worse name than 'Rivolta' for a car though? Perhaps it means something suitable in Italian!

Big Birds Car
29-07-2009, 11:42 AM
Just had a quick look on the net and Rivolta was the family name. They were a manufacturing company and one of their claims is that they invented the isetta bubble cars that BMW took over and everyone attributes BMW with the deign. Isetta means 'little iso'.

I have also learnt today that they did infact use the 351 cleveland engine and auto box after 71. I just assumed that it was a replacement as I had understood them to be all Chevy lumps and also because the original cast exhaust manifolds had been cut and welded to get past bits in the engine bay. (looked a bit bodged to me to be honest) Oh well you live and learn. Still got the engine and box in a garage somewhere.

CyCo
29-07-2009, 01:55 PM
Was there ever a worse name than 'Rivolta' for a car though? Perhaps it means something suitable in Italian!

You mean, like the Nissan Gloria (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nissan_Gloria), and the Nissan Cedric (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nissan_Cedric)?

:nonono:

Spacenut
29-07-2009, 09:23 PM
Hi BBC - the ISO company made refridgerators for the Italian domestic market. The company was run by a Count Renzo Rivolta. The company diversified into bubble cars with the Isetta, which as you say was then built successfully under licence by BMW - so much so that you usually hear them referred to as BMW-Isetta, not the other way round.

The 351 in your Rivolta was definately fitted later - the Rivolta was replaced by the Grifo around 1964 and I believe all the Rivoltas used the Chevy 327. There was a fearsome Grifo produced from around 1968 with the Chevy 427 as well. Most of the ISO Lele production run (about 80 cars) used the Ford engine. ISO had to cut costs, and couldn't afford to blueprint the engines so they cut a deal with Ford to use the Cleveland. Could have been worse - the later Panteras had to use the 351 Windsor!

I'm thinking "boat anchor" :whistling:

Lauren

Simpatico
29-07-2009, 11:20 PM
Lauren, I think the superb Grifo S2 restyle was by Gandini whilst at Bertone (to fit in with the look of the Lele etc). Thus it has always been one of my all time faves, right up there with the Mangusta, as the S2 was the product of 2 geniuses (genii?). The Miura was supposed to be the same, started by GG, finished by Gandini though generally attributed to the latter.

Spacenut
30-07-2009, 07:03 AM
Mmm - yes, you're right. Gandini would have been the main man at Bertone at the time. I think the S2 Grifo nose re-style is so much more effective than the Lele. But then again, the latter car is a more "familiar" shape, having been used on the VW Passat etc.

This Miura business I find fascinating - Gandini has never taken ownership of the design, preferring to state that his greatest design is his next one. Then, after years of hiding his lamp under a bushel, GG pops up with a signed and dated side elevation of the Miura, 1964. So it looks like Gandini just did the "tidying-up" for production. I like his original renderings though.

But you can't take away the guy's greatest styling successes (excesses?) - Countach, Carabo, Stratos Zero, Marzal... no GG content there :D

The Varedo (named after Renzo's birthplace) was styled by Ercole Spada, whose most memorable work was with Zagato in the 1960s... I think the frontal aspect works well, the side elevation unusual, but OK (I do like the secondary glazing below the main side window) and the back is a bit odd - but no worse than other exotic designs trying to fit a large engine longitudinally with an end-on gearbox...

Lauren

Simpatico
30-07-2009, 12:54 PM
Slight thread diversion but never mind...

I was not surprised the Miura turned out to be the product of Giugiaro as I always thought many styling cues to be an evolution of the Testudo (a GG personal favourite, possibly as he used it to romance his future wife). Gandini obviously took to the Miura as he turned into the Montreal too, and elements of the Marzal.

I also think Nuccios contribution to the style of cars is downplayed; he is most often seen as a manager, or at best a talent scout, but look how many stylists seem to lose the plot once striking out on their own (like, err, Gandini?). He may not have been a stylist but he had taste and an instinctive judgement.

PS didn't realise until recently that whilst visiting Tampa bay we were pretty close to the museum in which the Varedo now resides :cry:

Spacenut
30-07-2009, 06:12 PM
Mmm - together with a large selection of other ISOs it seems. Apart from the Space Coast and Daytona Beach, another worthwhile tourist destination :D

I've always found it odd that the Miura was all voluptuous curves and less than 2 years later Gandini was using ruler-straight lines on the BMW Garmisch, Autobianchi Runabout, BMW Spicup, Alfa Carabo... any number of designs.

GG, on the other hand, was still doing gorgeous curves - like the Mangusta, Iguana (OK, there's a couple of sharp edges), Italdesign Manta. He didn't get into the rectilinear phase until 1971, when he did the Boomerang.

So I can't say I was entirely surprised to find out that GG did the majority of the work on the Miura.

Lauren