PDA

View Full Version : Handbrake cables

JemP
17-08-2009, 09:20 PM
Are there different lengths of handbrake cables for the Beetle? I've definitely got a problem with the nearside cable, its so taut under the torsion plate, it rubs on the bottom of it all the time, the offside one seems fine, any ideas?

letterman7
18-08-2009, 02:10 AM
Should be basically all the same length, Jem. You'd only run into shortened cables with a shortened chassis. Fortunately, they aren't expensive and pretty easy to thread into place.

JemP
18-08-2009, 01:34 PM
Thats what I would have thought too, I just don't quite understand why my one is shorter than the other. Annoying, but easily sorted. I had't really noticed it until I started on the exhaust, and had to make sure the exhaust wasn't melting the cable sleeve! Its obviously not been a problem with previous owners, but i've had two MOT places whinge about placement of handbrake cables. on my Spartan (and on all Mk4 Cortinas) the handbrake cable passes through the coil spring - my man didnt like that! And on a Metro, one little retaining clip was missing from the handbrake cable, all it did was fasten the cable to the lower suspension arm - FAIL!!! The b'stard wouldn't even let me put a cable tie round it to pass it! Took the car away, put a cable tie round it at home, took it back - PASS

Big Birds Car
18-08-2009, 01:57 PM
Jemp. CHANGE YOUR MOT STATION NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

JemP
18-08-2009, 03:05 PM
That was a few years back and TWO separate places, both went out of business!!! I wonder why!

My man now is sound :) and at £35 and a free retest too :)