PDA

View Full Version : Morgan lookalike, on a dark night with your eyes shut??

JemP
19-08-2009, 10:07 PM
Do you think I'd get away with driving this around Malvern?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/TRIUMPH-HERALD-13 ... 500wt_1182 (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/TRIUMPH-HERALD-13-60-SILVER_W0QQitemZ220468727717QQcmdZViewItemQQptZAut omobiles_UK?hash=item3354f5cfa5&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14#ht_500wt_1182)

Alzax3
20-08-2009, 08:13 AM
Do you want to? :wink:

I've seen a heck of a lot worse (think there's something wrong with the side proportions under the screen if you're being picky) but then again, I quite liked the Herald it was before getting modded.......

Big Birds Car
20-08-2009, 08:45 AM
Unlike you Alex, although a Vittesse was the very first car I "steered" (sat on lap of someone doing the steering whilst they did the rest due to me been only 5 at the time) I think it is an improvement. :bleh:
As an aside I followed a Herald on the way home last night and yes I was in my Burb but even against other cars on the way the Herald is really a very small car. I hadn't seen one driving along for ages so had forgotten how small they were.
JemP, even better turn up and ask for a service kit at their stores department. :rofl:

Alzax3
20-08-2009, 07:28 PM
It was very nearly the first car I ever bought - a grey one I looked over at a friends house near Shere (Surrey) aged 15. Only £25 but my folks wouldn't let me keep it on the drive :annoyed: They're not that small but I guess you can see why the Spitfire wasn't so huge!

Spacenut
21-08-2009, 08:09 AM
Cars have definately got bigger since the "good ol' daze" though - I think its due to a number of factors - so-called "improvements" in safety legislation, airbags, crumple zones, crash bumpers etc., the demand for comfort and convenience options (air-con, soundproofing, reconfigurable seating etc.), and the need to shape vehicles into amorphous blobs, which renders them smaller inside than the cars they are trying to replace.

Then you have put an engine in with 3 times the power to haul it all around... Unfortunately corresponding improvements in engine efficiency does mean that in almost every case these cars are faster than the originals (I'm thinking of German Minis, new FIAT 500's, that kind of thing).

I used to drive a 1966 Vauxhall Viva (the HA model), and you had to suffer many privations - carpets were optional, as was the heater/demister - even the windscreen on early models was zone toughened on the drivers side only...

And it was tiny inside - I could open all of the windows (including the nearside rear quarterlight) from the drivers seat, while driving.

No, they weren't electrically operated, this is the 1960's you know :D

I did enjoy racing around in it though. I think the new owner of this Morgan thing will enjoy it too. As Alex says it doesn't look very happy around the scuttle area, but it seems to be nicely constructed and the market is there - I'm trying to recall how many Morgan-like kits are out there, I can think of at least two...

Lauren

islandman
21-08-2009, 09:02 AM
arh that brings back memories. my first car was also a Vauxhall Viva. I paid GBP100 for it and it was rock solid with a huge engine bay and tiny engine in the middle, in fact I could stand inside the engine bay next to the engine to work on it :wink:

Big Birds Car
21-08-2009, 09:15 AM
My first legal on the road car was my family's Hilman Minx/Hunter estate but my very first own bought legal car was a Mk4 Zodiac with a 2L V4 engine, bench seats and column change, (which I wrote off :nonono: ) then I got an Executive version with the V6 and individual seats and manual box with overdrive (ended up making an adaptor for the very same box years later to mate to a 3.5 Rover lump that went in my Mk1 capri). I like the larger cars but hey I then went for a Mk1 v6 capri for a while so I'm not averse to smaller cars :laugh:
I do remember doing the head gaskets on the V4 whilst sat on the spare wheel but still under the bonnet when it was raining, my back got a little wet but the rest of me was as dry as anything. I haven't seen one in many a long year now though :cry:

JemP
21-08-2009, 05:33 PM
Cars have definately got bigger since the "good ol' daze" though - I think its due to a number of factors - so-called "improvements" in safety legislation, airbags, crumple zones, crash bumpers etc., the demand for comfort and convenience options (air-con, soundproofing, reconfigurable seating etc.), and the need to shape vehicles into amorphous blobs, which renders them smaller inside than the cars they are trying to replace.

Then you have put an engine in with 3 times the power to haul it all around... Unfortunately corresponding improvements in engine efficiency does mean that in almost every case these cars are faster than the originals (I'm thinking of German Minis, new FIAT 500's, that kind of thing).

I used to drive a 1966 Vauxhall Viva (the HA model), and you had to suffer many privations - carpets were optional, as was the heater/demister - even the windscreen on early models was zone toughened on the drivers side only...

And it was tiny inside - I could open all of the windows (including the nearside rear quarterlight) from the drivers seat, while driving.

No, they weren't electrically operated, this is the 1960's you know :D

I did enjoy racing around in it though. I think the new owner of this Morgan thing will enjoy it too. As Alex says it doesn't look very happy around the scuttle area, but it seems to be nicely constructed and the market is there - I'm trying to recall how many Morgan-like kits are out there, I can think of at least two...

Lauren

Hawke did a good one, Moss did one also (the Malvern) which wasn't good. I'm surprised anyone can get away with producing a replica Morgan, as it is a current production vehicle (and I believe Morgan are now the biggest British owned car producer!) and also its primary model!

Spacenut
23-08-2009, 09:40 AM
I know, its crazy isn't it? There again, being a quintessentially English company, they probably wouldn't consider it sporting to try and copyright bulbous wings and running boards. It just wouldn't be cricket, what? :rofl:

C&SC this month is running a giant test on every single model of Morgan from the 1930s to date (this year is the centenery of the Morgan car company), but not once do they mention the SLR, which in my view is the best looking car they ever made :confused1:

http://smogthis.net/index5.html

Oh well, they say nostalgia isn't what it used to be :lmfao:

Lauren

JemP
23-08-2009, 08:00 PM
Nice use of the word cricket there Lauren, just cant think of a way to get Ashes, annihilation, or Ponting is a whinging Aussie, into a post , so I won't try :)

The problem with the slr is that its not made of wood!

CyCo
24-08-2009, 02:56 AM
Nice use of the word cricket there Lauren, just cant think of a way to get Ashes, annihilation, or Ponting is a whinging Aussie, into a post , so I won't try :)

:crylol:

jimcub
24-08-2009, 03:44 PM
i had a herald amazing turning circle, my first car was a 1/2 share in a 56 prefect .