PDA

View Full Version : fiberglass dash

g.jetson
25-08-2009, 02:51 AM
this is the the dash kit i will be purchasing dash and middle console only its for a pontiac fiero
it exspensive but worth it to me 400$ with shipping the two parts only

bobbybrown
25-08-2009, 06:52 AM
Completely the wrong forum.
Please don't post in the hydraulics forum with a dash post!

I have moved it for you this time, please try to be more careful which forums you are posting in.

Alzax3
25-08-2009, 07:24 AM
Errrm, not wanting to be a kill-joy, but if it's for a Pontiac Fiero, isn't it going to be about a foot too wide for a Sterling? the central tunnel section looks to take much more space than you've actually got.......(and the 'thickness' of the dash looks like it will invade your leg-space as well!)

nbb350
25-08-2009, 02:41 PM
...isn't it going to be about a foot too wide for a Sterling?

If it's made out of fiberglass instead of ABS (can't tell from the pix), then I'd have to say it's a nice starting point! Who among us hasn't bought something for our cars that requires the first step of installation to involve a saw? :whistling: After all, it's almost always easier to modify an existing item than start from scratch (as most of us darn well know! :wink: ).

Nic
25-08-2009, 03:31 PM
Looks like a good starting point. Yes you are probably going to have to cut the dash up in order to get it to fit. I suggest starting with the little wings on the side of the dash. If that doesn't work still, take what ever you need to get it to fit, out of the center of the dash.

You also might need to make some sort of support structure for it, or you will have to add something to the open sides and back so you can bolt it to the body. Unless you plan of grafting/fiberglassing it to the body directly. Personally, I wouldn't recommend that last part.

It's all very doable though. Please keep up posted. This is really a pretty good idea.

Alzax3
25-08-2009, 06:34 PM
Yup - wasn't suggesting it couldn't be made to work, just pointing out it wasn't likely to fit 'out of the box' is all........

Peter
31-08-2009, 08:40 PM
If a sheep barked would it be a poodle? Forget it, nowhere near and it would be money down the pan, Just use it as insperation., it's not too difficult to make your own, just takes time, a lot of 'Bondo' and imagination. This is the 'plug' for my dash with the centre digital cluster, it's made up of ply, alloy cardboard and filler, then paint ithe finnished item, make a plaster cast of it and then a GRP dash moulding from that and paint or trim it.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v219/Ukhozi/90375c84.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v219/Ukhozi/fcd35dc8.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v219/Ukhozi/270034d9.jpg

It's all smoke and mirrors.

dorsetlad
31-08-2009, 09:54 PM
You have a good eye to be able to cast in grp what your mind eye tells its what you want. Pat your self on the back mate. Excellent work Peter.

Terry

Peter
21-12-2009, 11:17 AM
Latest on my dash is I had to rework a few parts, extend the steering opening upwards 3cm and bring it foward 15mm to give it more deffinition then and reduce the perspex cover 1cm each side to line the chrome trim up with the centre consul trim. A little more filler to clean up the edges and fit the end panels and I'm ready to wind the wife up with the pong of GRP for a couple of days :cursing: :slap: , or should I stuff the mold in the car and take it to work and do it there (and wind up the supermarket above the workshop? :whistling: ) Well off to the hardware store for 5 kilo of plaster of paris to make the mold.
By the way, for those of you who think it's all sun, sun, sun here, it is pi**ing down (but still warm at 12 degrees c :yeah: )

benherron
21-12-2009, 12:09 PM
If you want to be a bit more adventurous why not do what the pro's do and buy some builders high density foam and "carve" out the dash shape you want.

Here's a link to someone making a nose cone for their sprint car. He slightly cheated by using a CNC machine to cut the layers for him, we usually just sand them into shape, but its the same process.
http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=366596