PDA

View Full Version : White Nova WITH DOORS!

Alzax3
06-09-2009, 05:44 PM
See what you think.....

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/vw-nova-kit-car_W ... 286.c0.m14 (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/vw-nova-kit-car_W0QQitemZ280394005731QQcmdZViewItemQQptZAutomo biles_UK?hash=item4148c8fce3&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14)

Looks to be another Mk4 - so we must have found most of them by now!

JemP
06-09-2009, 06:30 PM
However much I like it, and it looks fine, its just lost the one thing that makes a Nova so different, the canopy. Surely part of the fun of owning a Nova is opening and closing the canopy. It would be like going to Wimbledon and choosing Apple Pie and custard instead of Strawberries and Cream. Its nice, but you just don't!

Big Birds Car
06-09-2009, 10:17 PM
I'm with you Jemp BUT didn't someone say that they thought there was a Nova concept that had doors for some reason, I wonder if this could be it or if the present owner did the mod.

letterman7
07-09-2009, 01:17 AM
Actually, I quite like it. It looks to be a well done mod, but...I'm betting getting in and out is far more difficult than the standard canopy!

Alzax3
07-09-2009, 07:16 AM
Lauren will be along with chapter and verse about the doored version in a minute....... I've never seen it but I thought it had conventional doors cut deeper into the body than these - we'll soon see!

Spacenut
07-09-2009, 08:00 AM
Its David Iles' old car - he converted the canopy to doors and added a Porsche 911 transaxle and engine, Ederspacher petrol heater, Austin Montego talking digital dash (remember them?)... He even did an offset pantograph wiper before I did, but I think the geometry on my one is better :D

The doors follow the canopy shut line so there is not a lot of space and getting in an out was a real performance - Dave didn't cut further into the body because he had already removed most of the inner tub on the drivers side for CB, ICE etc. I believe the doors are on a remote electric release, with an emergency pull cable in the engine bay!

Still in nice condition, and worth a punt if you can live with the doors, but in my opinion they make the car more impractical to use than the canopy!

Dave became increasingly disillusioned with the Club (or was it the other way round) and stood down as President at the end of the 90's. I believe he got a Covin Porkie replica instead, and was/is an active member of their club. I can't see the point of Covins these days, when a decent (well, in need of some bodywork repair at any rate) mid-80's non-turbo SC can be had off ebay for 5-6k, but there you go.

Dave acquired a massive archive of data on the Nova and its history, which to my knowledge was never passed on to the Club... which is a great shame. I don't know whether that was sour grapes or not, my membership lapsed about the same time...

Lauren

CyCo
07-09-2009, 12:54 PM
It's interesting, there was/is a 'reek down the south end of oz that had doors similar to this one. I've only seen maybe 4 polaroids of it. The owner saw us at our annual meet several years ago, and was going to join the club. Don't know if he did or not though.

jimcub
07-09-2009, 05:59 PM
I could not get in that and if I did would probably end up being it's prisoner

Alzax3
16-09-2009, 07:29 PM
Relisted:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/vw-nova-kit-car_W ... 286.c0.m14 (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/vw-nova-kit-car_W0QQitemZ280398111724QQcmdZViewItemQQptZAutomo biles_UK?hash=item414907a3ec&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14)

jimcub
20-09-2009, 02:13 PM
Apparently I may get to see this Nova as a friend of mine has asked me to join him, I go Tuesday still not sure I could get in but we will see.
if he has any paper work on Nova's I will ask if he is willing to let us see some, or if my friend is lucky throw it in with the car.

Spacenut
21-09-2009, 08:09 AM
Good luck with that Jim - the last time I saw the Dave Iles' Nova archive it was two 4" ring binders full of magazine articles, press packs, newspaper clippings etc. Shouldn't be hard to miss, if its there!

Lauren

mattswan2512
21-09-2009, 09:18 AM
Hi all I know I'm net to these cars but I really don't like the doors on that car it looks more like a delorian than a nova. So official line from me. NOT FOR ME CHEF! :sorry: