PDA

View Full Version : Avante project brakes and suspension

kevinsmale
09-09-2009, 11:02 PM
Restoration on my Avante is going well and the front end chassis, suspension etc. is nearing completion. I have manufactured another headlight flap mechanism in stainless steel and am due to put this in over the weekend hopefully. I will need to lower the front end slightly so am on the search for a pair of non-offset drop spindles if anyone knows of a set? I will be dropping the gearbox soon to take a look and gain access to the rest of the chassis. replacing brake lines throughout but am experiencing problems with tracking the front to back pipes which appear to be located within the chassis central section, very awkward. Any help with this lot would be gratefully received.
Cheers,

Kev

Big Birds Car
10-09-2009, 08:52 AM
The front to rear brake pipe on my Nova isn't in the tunnel but inside the car and runs down the length of the central tunnel at very low level on the drivers side near to where the tunnel meets the floor pan. It comes into the car just infront of the pedals and exits at the side of the rear gearbox horn support. There are tabs welded onto the side of the tunnel to secure the pipe to it so assume that this is VW's standard method and route for it.

jimcub
11-09-2009, 11:55 PM
So does mine, i think it was the fuel pipe that went through the tunnel, from being a beetle in an older life when the tank was at the front.

Big Birds Car
12-09-2009, 11:51 AM
Good call Jim. Yes it will be the fuel line front to back inside the tunnel.

MicksRedNova
12-09-2009, 09:25 PM
See this link for diagram of all pipe and cable routes on the floorpan.

http://www.1302super.com/page39a.html

Mick

kevinsmale
22-09-2009, 10:41 PM
Just been able to get to the computer so apologies for taking so long getting back. Many thanks for the advice on the barke lines, especially the diagram which has been most useful (much better than a Haynes manual).
I have just picked up a rear wheel disc brake conversion kit from ebay so this will be the next project. The front suspension, brakes, steering box and chassis parts have been renovated so quite pleased with the progress so far. I will post some photos soon to show how things are progressing.
The car was originally fitted with a brake servo so will plumb this back in when i deal with the rear brake units. I have nearly completed the new stainless steel headlight flap mechanism which will be operated (I hope) by a Rover 620 window winder mechanism ( I am making use of the scrappage scheme so taking bits off that may be useful for the Avante).
I have also dismantled the Compomotive split rim wheels ready for blasting and finishing. Very much on a tight budget I am getting these done by my son's friend, hope he's good.
Thanks again for the excellent advice,

Kevin