PDA

View Full Version : Front VW drums

benherron
23-09-2009, 07:21 PM
I've got front VW drums which i need to get off. All the books say pry off the dust cap.......it's been a long day, im tired and after 30 mins of whacking twisting etc still nout.

Help a brother out and tell me how to get them off so i can get to the brakes :please :please: :please: :please: :please:

Spacenut
23-09-2009, 07:29 PM
Don't forget there should be a circlip holding the speedo cable through the front nearside dustcap. That might be holding things up. Otherwise I thought they were tapped into place and a few carefully chosen taps around the flange with a screwdriver should loosen them off...

Lauren

Alzax3
23-09-2009, 07:51 PM
Laurens right - so assuming you've removed said circlip, just tap the swelling on the cap where it meets the hub from each side with a blunt screwdriver/chisel until you free it up - it WILL come off eventually!

benherron
23-09-2009, 09:05 PM
Brains :dunce: over brawn :crash: ....... using the end of a hook spanner wedged against the back of the lip, bending the handle back (so opening the grip), levering the handle against the brake drum and Whacking it with hammer. :clapping:

Hook spanner looks like this, ill post the pic of me using it when i can upload, as my description is naff.

http://www.jhwilliamstoolgroup.com/DSN/wwwjhwilliamstoolgroupcom/Commerce/productimages/mn1_002337.jpg

Spacenut
24-09-2009, 08:49 PM
Cool - looks like just the ticket for adjusting my SPAX coil-overs :D

Lauren