PDA

View Full Version : Bond bugs

Alzax3
29-10-2009, 08:01 PM
Now I've always had a soft spot for these (even if they are just a Reliant Regal with a more interesting shell) - they had some of the Nova characteristics (I've even (for a very short time!) driven a Nova with the same number of wheels :whistling: ) Airfix even used to make a model of it! But for people who fancy Novas because of how they look without ever experiencing the reality of them, let this guy's experience be a salutary lesson!

Less than a month ago he shelled out over six and a half grand for this very well restored example, then found that it was basic, noisy, draughty, too small and impractical - essentially all the obvious faults that come with a car of this design - so now he's trying to sell it on.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/COMPLETELY-RESTOR ... 35a4883c24 (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/COMPLETELY-RESTORED-1970-RELIANT-BOND-BUG-700ES_W0QQitemZ230393658404QQcmdZViewItemQQptZAuto mobiles_UK?hash=item35a4883c24)

Spacenut
29-10-2009, 10:00 PM
That is a nice example. Reliant wanted to appeal to the younger motorist with this car, and the 3-wheel format and sub-750 kg weight classed it as a motorcycle combination for taxation and licence purposes, so it could be driven on an appropriate bike licence. But the 1F2R format is inherently unstable (the "tadpole" 2F1R format is much better), and very few people have just a full bike licence these days, so I would always favour the WMC Bug conversion. Reliant's chief engineer John Crosthwaite built a 4-wheel Bug in 1971 and the Go-kart performance was startling, but it didn't enter production for the afore-mentioned reasons.

Shame the seller let his heart rule his head, but we have all been there :lmfao:

Lauren

ant
29-10-2009, 10:05 PM
i love em', but then again iv'e never driven one.

ant

letterman7
29-10-2009, 10:47 PM
I really like 'em, too. They're just a stretched version of the electric CitiCars we had here in the '70's. Put a big bike motor in there and vroom!

Simpatico
29-10-2009, 11:47 PM
i love em', but then again iv'e never driven one.

ant

My sentiments exactly. I just wish someone would do a modern version, update the running gear and add an extra wheel; one of these would be infinitely preferable as an urban runabout to a Smart or one of the god awful hybrid contraptions being mooted

jimcub
30-10-2009, 02:32 PM
They have that British style about them

Kym
30-10-2009, 03:08 PM
Well they do say beauty is in the eye of the beholder but I think the summer has got to you northern hemisphere blokes

thestevie
30-10-2009, 05:37 PM
I'm with Kym
that is not appealing at all

Peter
01-11-2009, 05:42 PM
I actully owned the first one, BB600001, bought in 1972 from Two Strokes of Stanmore (ex-works demo car) and it did me proud for two years (even towed my trials bike with it) untill I bought a Robin estate and then passed my four wheeled test in a Kitten, (same thing as a Robin, one more wheel) It certainly made people look and one problem was coming bak to find it surrounded by people, all of whom wanted to know all about it.