PDA

View Full Version : Bad Shudder when taking off in first gear

Gunna
12-11-2009, 11:05 AM
Hi all, I need some ideas/help please.

I have replaced the clutch plate, pressure plate and had the flywheel machined. The old setup was slipping badly under power. The new pressure plate is a Kennedy Stage 2 (200mm unit). But unsure the the specs other than that.

The problem is that when taking off in first gear, under load (hill start or quickly at the lights) the car shudders so severly that the gearbox jumps out of first back to neutral.

When backing up an incline (out of my driveway) everything appears normal. Maybe a little shudder but overcome if I raise the RPM's a little.

I can take off smoother in second gear but it takes quite a few rpm's and it's a lot slower to get going.

Someone suggested checking that the clutch cable from the chassis had a bend in it to allow some play in the movement of the gearbox. That seems OK. And also I have done nothing to this section since the change.

The old setup was not doing any of this. I have just picked up this Eureka a month ago so unsure of history but I can ask Liam if needed.

:coat: HELP PLEASE??

letterman7
12-11-2009, 12:40 PM
Hmmm... sounds familiar. The "droop" of the clutch cable bowden tube on the transaxle mount should be around 1" from horizontal (lack of a better term, since the entire cable slants). Stage 2 clutches are 500 pound clutches, I think, which are tough to start smoothly unless you've got the torque and the power from the engine initially to do it. Not being familiar with the car, if it still has a 1600 engine in it, a stage 2 clutch is way overkill and you'll have the issues at hand. The only other possibility is the new clutch disc was/is contaminated with grease or oil and can't grab unless the revs are up enough to heat the pucks. We need more info, Gunna!

islandman
12-11-2009, 01:46 PM
Definitely sounds like the Bowden Tube to me, your symptoms are identical to the ones I had. Got a new tube, adjusted everything and Yahoo!!!! :drive: drop the clutch and the wheels spin....no gearbox jumping or judder.

I just wish i knew the cause before I changed the clutch and gearbox mounting! :cry:

CyCo
12-11-2009, 02:52 PM
Gunna's 'reek specs.

12A Turbo, Kennedy Stage 2 pressure plate, Greedy Organic Solid Clutch plate, Haltec E8 EFI, swingarm axle

I've suggested he try a 1800 Kombi clutch, it's what I've got in mine and with the 1.8t scooby donk, it's goes well. Obviously a lot of differences between our engines, but it's an option.

letterman7
12-11-2009, 04:19 PM
Gunna's 'reek specs.

12A Turbo, Kennedy Stage 2 pressure plate, Greedy Organic Solid Clutch plate, Haltec E8 EFI, swingarm axle

I've suggested he try a 1800 Kombi clutch, it's what I've got in mine and with the 1.8t scooby donk, it's goes well. Obviously a lot of differences between our engines, but it's an option.

Ah, I must have missed that somewhere. Yah, even with the 12A the Stage 2 is a little overkill. Check the Bowden tube first, then the next step would be to change out the clutch plates. The pressure plate could probably stay if that kind of leg workout is enjoyable, but there might be something with the "organic" part of that plate that's causing issues.

bushboy
12-11-2009, 07:57 PM
I had this issue back in oz with a tin top P76 (4.4L V8 same as the rover V8). We ended up changing from a shaft mechanism to a cable system. What the shaft was doing was engaging the clutch & as the torque of the engine pulled every thing round the clutch disengauge, release the torgue, grab again twist & release, grad twist release etc, etc, + clutch judder.

Back to Reeks, I have a stage 2 Kennedy with a Kennedy plate and hydraulic actuation. No judders at normal take off but try to crawl in traffic & it bounces a bit. Slight right foot pressure cures that however.

So now that I have told you nothing new at all check what the other fella's have said.

bushboy (often full of useless information)

Spacenut
12-11-2009, 09:01 PM
Faced with these symptoms I would normally conclude the problem was axle tramp, due to a combination of engine torque, insufficient torsional rigidity and swing axle geometry, but from the above it seems to be a familiar clutch cable issue.

Nevertheless, any amount of movement sufficient to knock the gearbox out of gear is perhaps a little excessive. Is your transaxle strapped, or polybushed? Wide boots and swing axles can create a twisting moment that can result in juddering as the tyres alternately lose and regain grip... Might be worth consideration if the clutch cable draws a blank :thumbup:

Lauren

Gunna
13-11-2009, 09:57 AM
Hmmm... sounds familiar. The "droop" of the clutch cable bowden tube on the transaxle mount should be around 1" from horizontal (lack of a better term, since the entire cable slants). Stage 2 clutches are 500 pound clutches, I think, which are tough to start smoothly unless you've got the torque and the power from the engine initially to do it. Not being familiar with the car, if it still has a 1600 engine in it, a stage 2 clutch is way overkill and you'll have the issues at hand. The only other possibility is the new clutch disc was/is contaminated with grease or oil and can't grab unless the revs are up enough to heat the pucks. We need more info, Gunna!

Thanks All!!!!

Time is limited, sorry for taking so long to get back.

LM. I did a copy, paste and google on the Bowden tube and came up with this http://www.vw-resource.com/bowden_tube.html . So guess where I'll be early tomorrow morning. :annoyed: Crawling under car and staring at said cable. I really hope this works as we're due for a Queensland mini meet this weekend.

I'll let you all know how things go.

Gunna
13-11-2009, 11:09 PM
CLUTCH SHUDDER FIXED!!

:groupwave:

Thanks for all of the advice from everyone. :notworthy:

It ended up been the BOWEN TUBE which needed 5 x 2mm washers fitted over the end to put a decent bend in it. While it was out everything got a good clean and grease-up. Runs perfect now (could have saved pulling the motor out a second time :protest: ). I needed the practice anyway ;D :cry: .

Next time I'm playing with the gearbox and clutch area I'll put in a transaxle bracket and poly mounts but for now all is good.

Queensland mini-meet here we come.

letterman7
13-11-2009, 11:12 PM
Excellant Gunna! Sometimes it's the easy things that elude us. Take lots o' photos at the meet!

jimcub
13-11-2009, 11:50 PM
Mine juddered when I first got it going but sounded more gearbox shake, i put a rubber lined strap round the box and beefed up the mounts. result no more judder, so there could many causes it's just picking the right cure. Looks like you hit your cause Ok and found the answer.

Gunna
15-11-2009, 10:11 AM
Thanks again for the help and encouragement gang.
All ran well for our little 'ole Queensland mini-meet.
All-in-all this little car is a beast to drive and gets respect wherever it goes (washed or not).

:cheers: