PDA

View Full Version : Tinware

benherron
16-11-2009, 12:55 AM
How important are lower tins on our vehicles?

Mine are gone and cant be replaced due to stupid rusted screws, dont ask..... I just got angry and the heads snapped off...no amount of chemicals (WD40 etc) worked. So unless you can suggest how to remove bolts without heads...... without a welder....read on.

I've seen some buggies run without most of the tinware, they cover the J tubes in exhaust tape.
Would this be enough or would I need to make a heat deflector plate (mounted to the J-tubes) between the exhausts and heads?
Also how will this affect the thermostat if its open to outside air?

letterman7
16-11-2009, 01:14 AM
If you're not running the lower tins, you won't be running the T-stat, since it's connected to the tins. In any Beetle style motor, the lower tins are pretty important since they help divert the air in the right direction(s). If at all possible, I'd drill out the busted studs and re-tap and try to get those tins back into place.

Rusted bolts are a pain, no doubt. The positive thing here is that they are steel while the rest of the case is aluminum alloy. Take a pair of vice grips (mole grips), and heat the case immediately around the broken stud with a torch and see if you can't turn it out with the vice grips. Pay close attention to the amount of heat to the case - too long in one area, and it will start to melt!

benherron
16-11-2009, 01:29 AM
Hmm......pretty sure my thermostat is still attached, from what I can member it has it's own mounting bracket to the engine block. Damn not being at home, otherwise i'd go and check.

jimcub
16-11-2009, 10:59 PM
The thermostat has it's own bracket which is protected by the bottom tin, which collects the hot air to operate the stat. So if your running flaps then you need the bottom tin on that side, there is a small bit of tin that is put in when assembling the barrels and tubes ( not sure which side as mine was built up for me ).

the bottom tin will help keep the bottom of your engine free from dirt water or whatever else your car throws up, free from dirt is good for cooling as well.