PDA

View Full Version : Dropping the transaxle/gearbox.

kevinsmale
23-12-2009, 05:38 PM
Hi there,
think I have sorted the rear disc brake conversion by sourcing a good pair of Passat callipers. I will make up a pair of brackets to fit the discs and should complete the conversion over the Christmas holiday.
Next job is to drop the transaxle but have hit another problem. According to the VW manual it says there are two bolts that require removal from the gear linkage before the box can be removed. Originally the Beetle would have had removable rear seats to allow access to a maintenance door to the linkage. The Avante doesnt have this access point and the seats are seemingly bonded in place. I don't want to damage the seats as they are in good order, any ideas?
Have a wonderful Christmas,

Kev

Nic
23-12-2009, 07:22 PM
Hi Kevin, no ideas about the removal, but I am interested in the Passat conversion. Please post how to and pictures when you are done.
:crossfinger:

bobbybrown
24-12-2009, 12:00 AM
Hi Kev,
I have moved your post to a more relevent place as the wanted section isn't the best place to get replies to posts like this :wink:

letterman7
24-12-2009, 12:29 AM
Hmm... I'm surprised that the Avante doesn't have an access place to the panel on the hump. That's the place where the transaxle is hooked into the shifter rod and needs to be loosened and removed. It wouldn't be anywhere under the seats, but behind them on top of the central tunnel, right at the back of the car. Can you post a photo of your interior?

kevinsmale
24-12-2009, 10:25 AM
Hi there,
apologies for the wrong position of the posting, IT is not my strong point. I will take photos of the rear disc conversion when complete. The rear tunnel has a seat built into it as my Avante is the +2 version. I will have a root around again.
Thanks for help,

Kev

Alzax3
24-12-2009, 11:02 AM
Don't worry too much about where you post things, that's what us mods are here for! (within reason :whistling: ) It's a while since I've played with the gear change, but doesn't it clamp onto a spline at the gearbox end? Surely undoing that clamp and freeing it off the spline would be all that was necessary?

jimcub
24-12-2009, 11:15 AM
When i changed the rear mount I managed to pull the box rearward enough to work on it, but there was nothing I could see that I could undo to detach the box. The only way to detach the box is from the panel inside, saying that I too have no access to the panel as the Nova body covers it; I would need to cut back the body to get at it without taking the body off.

:happybday: insert Christmas instead of birthday will you, mods where is the Christmas smilie

letterman7
24-12-2009, 12:05 PM
Huh... All the Sterling bodies I've seen have a little oval molded into the flange that keeps that inspection plate uncovered. I didn't know that Nova's don't have that...
Back to Kevin - yeah, there has to be a way to remove those seats. Look for mounting bolts from underneath - they had to go in somehow!

kevinsmale
14-04-2010, 07:23 AM
Have sorted the 'trap door' problem to access the gear linkage. The body work had no access door/cutaway to get to the access point for the linkage so I merely cut one myself. The rear seats were glued into place and not bolted which is a first for me. I have damaged the rear seat slightly so will need to make a new one which frankly is just big enough for an embryo anyway. Gearbox out, chassis work continues.
Kevin